Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2016, 11:16 AM   #1
billhansen19304
Established Member

M.O.C. #15861
Inverter/converter not playing well together

My 2015 3711FL has a WF-5110H inverter to power the frig when no shorepower. I've had trouble with it simply shutting off since I picked up the 5er. Dealer was not able to figure out what was going on last fall. I started doing a little research and was finally able to identify what event caused it to shut off. No idea why but I can now reproduce the issue. The Progressive Dynamics Converter that is installed in the camper has a "feature" called Charge Wizard that manages the amount of charge going to the battery based on current charge. It's Boost mode is for a quick charge, Normal for normal use and Storage when there little or no draw. In my case when the Wizard goes from Boost to Normal the downstream inverter shuts down. I can simply turn the switch off and back on and it will restart and run in converter Normal mode but can't seem to handle the transition. Anyone else out there seeing this? I have a dealer appt coming up and would love to be able to simply point them at another example or part. I'm adding the part numbers in question simply for search...
Inverter WFCO WF-5110H
Converter Progressive Dynamics PD4575

billhansen19304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
You may want to check the 12 volt connections, as the specs on the inverter indicates it will shut down when the input voltage drops to 10 volts, so either the inverter has a problem or like I said, you may have a poor connection feeding the inverter. If the converter was bad, you would see a dramatic drop in brightness in your lighting when it dropped voltage that far.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #3
billhansen19304
Established Member

M.O.C. #15861
Thanks for the reply. Whatever is clobbering the inverter only happens in the split second it takes to go from Boost to Normal. All good after the transition. I'll re-look at the connections.
Thanks again.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

You may want to check the 12 volt connections, as the specs on the inverter indicates it will shut down when the input voltage drops to 10 volts, so either the inverter has a problem or like I said, you may have a poor connection feeding the inverter. If the converter was bad, you would see a dramatic drop in brightness in your lighting when it dropped voltage that far.
Old 04-22-2016, 09:20 AM   #4
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
Yes, it is normal. The inverter will shut down if the converter is in boost mode, because it is putting out over 14volts DC. I posted about this in another thread. The inverter manufacture is aware of the issue and like you have found out, turning the inverter off, then back on resets the inverter and it will go back to normal once the converter is no longer in boost mode. The issue stems from to much demand on the battery to run the fridge when not connected to shore power. once connected the converter tries to recover the battery as quick as possible causing the inverter to error out. Better batteries that did not drain so fast would solve the issue for shorter trips. Not sure if the inverter manufacture plans on changing the parameters on any future designs.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM   #5
billhansen19304
Established Member

M.O.C. #15861
Thanks. Oddly enough my issue is not during Boost mode but when it switches to Normal. Very confusing. The inverter folks are going to replace the inverter under warranty at this point to evaluate. Its too bad Keystone didn't pick one vendor for both. It would make life easier...
I'll update the post as we go along.
Thanks again for the reply.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cw3jason

Yes, it is normal. The inverter will shut down if the converter is in boost mode, because it is putting out over 14volts DC. I posted about this in another thread. The inverter manufacture is aware of the issue and like you have found out, turning the inverter off, then back on resets the inverter and it will go back to normal once the converter is no longer in boost mode. The issue stems from to much demand on the battery to run the fridge when not connected to shore power. once connected the converter tries to recover the battery as quick as possible causing the inverter to error out. Better batteries that did not drain so fast would solve the issue for shorter trips. Not sure if the inverter manufacture plans on changing the parameters on any future designs.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:45 PM   #6
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
If I'm ready this right, you have a converter/charger and an inverter. Why not get an inverter/charger and eliminate the converter?
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 02:56 PM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
A converter makes 12 volts DC out of 120 volts AC. An inverter makes 120 volts AC out of 12 volts DC. Without the need to run a fridge on 120 volts when not connected to shore or generator power, the converter would be the only needed item. For dry camping away from shore power and not wanting to always be running a generator, and still wanting 120 volt power, an inverter can supply the 120 volt power. On these rigs that have a residential fridge, extra batteries and the inverter provide the 120 volts to the fridge when not connected to shore power.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:52 PM   #8
billhansen19304
Established Member

M.O.C. #15861
Update.. I wound up talking with the inverter manfacturer directly. Great to work with and very responsive. They sent a replacement within a week and that solved the problem. All no cost to me other than crawling around in the tiny basement of the 3711.Now working as designed.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:23 PM   #9
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by billhansen19304 View Post
My 2015 3711FL has a WF-5110H inverter to power the frig when no shorepower. I've had trouble with it simply shutting off since I picked up the 5er. Dealer was not able to figure out what was going on last fall. I started doing a little research and was finally able to identify what event caused it to shut off. No idea why but I can now reproduce the issue. The Progressive Dynamics Converter that is installed in the camper has a "feature" called Charge Wizard that manages the amount of charge going to the battery based on current charge. It's Boost mode is for a quick charge, Normal for normal use and Storage when there little or no draw. In my case when the Wizard goes from Boost to Normal the downstream inverter shuts down. I can simply turn the switch off and back on and it will restart and run in converter Normal mode but can't seem to handle the transition. Anyone else out there seeing this? I have a dealer appt coming up and would love to be able to simply point them at another example or part. I'm adding the part numbers in question simply for search...
Inverter WFCO WF-5110H
Converter Progressive Dynamics PD4575
I also have WF- 5110H inverter for frig in 2015 3611RL but not positive I have exact same problem. I had been turning off inverter after connecting to shore power as I was told at dealership where purchased. Recently just prior to this trip I read here somewhere to always leave it on unless storing. For 3 travel days I left it on as usual...after being hooked up to shore power a day or so it would be off and refg temps would rise but then start cooling after 15-30 mins. I would turn on inverter again and get same result. Today called Manufacturer and we did a hard reset. Checked it a few mins. later and had red light on. Had batteries check the day before trip....100% charged and 13.1 & 13.2 size 24 Interstate deep cycle (dealer installed! at purchase ). Called manufacturing company again he says it must be DOA, did not offer to replace for me but says they have upgraded that inverter. Probably for this reason?
Sooo, I'm leaving Phoenix area early tomorrow 2 day drive to Creed, CO. What brand inverter should I try to get and also have shipped to Creed campground .. we'll be there a week. Don't really want to have to drive very far to pick up if I don't have to. Any and all advise greatly appreciated .

Thanks
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 06:53 AM   #10
kench
Established Member

M.O.C. #18135
Hi I also have a Progressive Dyne PD 4575 went thru 5-6 batteries in the first 3 years RV dealer said no problem he would replace batteries as long as I owned it. DUH!!! not fair to Interstate although their product seems to be cheap cheap . Had the converter replaced and used a different manufacturer of battery. 3 months later battery dead. Anyone had similar issues . Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
kench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:43 AM   #11
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
kench are you hooked up to power when you are using the trailer or are you dry camping. If hooked up to power your battery should be fully charged. If dry camping you need to get your battery fully charged before storing. If storing you need to disconnect your fully charged battery from the rest of the trailer. If not, your battery will be dead in no time.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote