Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2017, 10:12 AM   #21
kozzy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18144
Anything will sell if it is priced right....The last RV I sold was my 2004 Montana, we had it for 4 years....I paid 45k for it new, I didnt have a trade and got it at a fantastic price, I sold it for 41K 4 years later, a guy in conn (I live in upstate NY) came and bought it, using RV Trader. I listed it in February, was sold in May...and I had a lot of action on it. People looking for the right RV will look all over the country...As long as you buy it for a fair price, you should be fine getting rid of it...if you over pay for it upfront, you will have trouble getting what you need out of it to cover your financing.

good luck

2019 Ram 3500 SRW Laramie CTD 6.7
kozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #22
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Well, I have to take a little exception to what JandC said about dealers not honoring a factory warranty. I have to add - it depends on the dealer/service dept. I bought a new unit out of state (wholesaler) and had NO problem at all getting service. Many dealers are like that - not all are "bad". Unfortunately, when you are full-timing and on the road, you can't pick where you will have a major problem.

A point I would like to make though, is the RV industry doesn't seem to have learned the lesson that quality and reputation is what eventually sells. Seems like they all look at "next quarter profits" and get them out the door as cheaply as possible. There is a HUGE "infant mortality" period of about a year where you are likely to have problems. Yep, it's covered by warranty, but you have to work through it. In years past it wasn't like this, but it is now. I have a 2015 Montana High Country. Bought it new in late 2014. I had many many problems with it. Got them all worked out now, and it seems to be a reliable unit now, but it took a while. If you do buy new, be prepared for a rough first year.

There are some good dealers/service departments out there. But, according to the stories posted on this forum, I bet 75% of them are incompetent - poor troubleshooting, poor repairs, long delays, etc. Build that into your "work through it" period. Also, it seems like many dealers are not compensated properly for their warranty work by the manufacturers. That make them not want to take those units.

All that being said the RV lifestyle is great - for some. Be sure it's the lifestyle for you before spending a lot - that's the first question.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:29 AM   #23
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Eric, I know it sounds like some of us are painting a pretty bad picture of going out and buying a new Montana. If you were going to buy your first RV and just camp locally part time it would probably not be that big of a deal. You would be close to your "selling" dealer and any issues could be immediately taken care of. If you are on the road 1,500 miles away from that dealer it could be another story.

Please don't get discouraged about Keystone Montana fivers. The whole RV industry is about the same when it comes to quality control and warranty/dealer issues. I have learned to fix most of the things that go wrong with my RV's myself. I do regular preventive maintenance also. Except for recently getting the front end aligned on my MH, I haven't been to a RV repair facility for issues in about 3 years.
Find the style and floor plan of your dreams and carry on!
Old 01-05-2017, 03:20 AM   #24
EricHarmon
Established Member

M.O.C. #19325
JandC,

Yeah, I was starting to think that people didn't want me on the road for some reason! I understand that the intention of everyone here is good, and an RV/Truck is a big purchase and not something to be taken lightly. And of course everyone has their own unique opinions and experiences. I'm just absorbing all the different stories, viewpoints, caution, and advice, and determining how it fits into my own life. At the end of the day, I fear it's kindof a crap shoot. I could get a new lemon, a used nightmare, or a clean new or used model. I'll try to do the best job I can researching, inspecting, and so on, and then just trust in God that the decision we make is the right one for us.

We're planning to spend a week or two locally before heading out on the road, but now it sounds like that may not be enough time. We've got to stay in the RV as we're selling our house at the same time. I'll budget in a couple weeks' worth of hotel night stays in case the unit is in the shop overnight on occasion for repairs. That's something that I hadn't really considered.

-Eric
EricHarmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 05:21 AM   #25
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
One thing to keep in mind, MOST of the people that are happy with their rigs are out using them or otherwise going on with life. The unhappy ones are online in forums bashing and relating their bad experience. This forum seems to be different but most forums are pedestals to voice your disdain. There are many more happy buyers than unhappy but you just don't hear from the happy ones. I will relate my experience.
I joined this forum to glean information on the Montana line, and the folks here were very helpful so I hung around. I looked at all the other brands in my price range and ultimately decided on a Montana 3610. I won't go into all the factors but in MY opinion Montana was the choice,big factor was DW loving the floorplan
But I needed to be happy with the build too. In my search I found a new one private party, that he had for 5 months, used 3 times and decided he wanted a toy hauler. The price difference from the dealers was tremendous and he had done all the right things to it, 4 6v Torrington batteries, 1800 watt inverter, etc. For once in my life I lucked out. I guess my point is be patient and leave your emotions at home when shopping and you will find your rig.
Sorry for all the words..

Mark
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you are a weekend and a vacation once a year camper the chances you will have little or no problem. The more you use them the more likely you are to have problems. Full timers and long timers put more stress on them than the occasional user.

We also have had no problem having warranty work done during the first year while on the road. We would always call Keystone Customer service and have them set up a dealer in the area we were in. It always worked.

Selling a Rv can be a chore we just traded ours in and always got a good fair price.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:37 AM   #27
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Eric, we bought a travel trailer (new) and figured that if we didn't use it or didn't like it, we wouldn't be out much That first year we used it over 50 nights and got hooked on RVing but not the tight space of the travel trailer. So, we bought our first Montana in 2004. We are in our third Montana now as our lifestyle has changed - kids in college, grandkids, retirement progression. It would be a good idea if you are concerned about not liking the lifestyle to try a used unit or even a travel trailer. Then, you will have a thorough understanding about what's involved and whether you like it or not. Also, choose your dealer wisely. A few thousands saved up front can cause you to be very disappointed in the lifestyle. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:47 AM   #28
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
EricHarmon,

This thread has twisted toward maintenance and reliability about the Montana brand. The Montana is as good, probably better than most brands. But, like I mentioned before, the more important question you need to ask yourself is about full timing. You said in an earlier post that you were new to camping, then in your last post you mentioned staying in the RV while you are selling your house. I hate to see anyone jump into full timing before doing any camping. The full time lifestyle suits many just fine and they love it. But it's not for everyone.

I have to relate a personal experience:
We have been camping for 40+ years. We considered a full time lifestyle for a while, but after one trip of about 11 weeks, we found ourselves wanting to stay put for a while. Long story short, we "part" time now but still maintain a stick and bricks house. We stay on the road probably 15-20 weeks a year. Yes, it's more expensive to do that, but it gives us some of the things we missed like a decent workshop, being around family more often, seeing the same doctor, a garden, a place for the dogs to run, etc.

Then there is the financial part. An RV is a depreciating asset, a house is not. Once you go that direction, you can't go back without taking a big hit. So, if you do start full timing, I recommend you have a solid exit strategy. You won't want to stay on the road forever. It may come sooner, if you decide the lifestyle isn't for you, or later, when you get older and your health declines. Have money put away for your next house, or at least realize, that at some point you will have to go back to a S&B.

The financial part is also a personal thing. But it's too much of a risk to take if it's not possible for you to buy an RV before selling your house, especially if you haven't camped before.

At least do some long term camping before you commit to full time.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bama Camper is 100% correct. We were undecided so we rented out our S&B and hit the road the first year. On our return we decided the full time lifestyle was not for us we kept the S&B and we are long timers. Eleven year later we are about at the end of our RV advent ure but the S&B and all our possessions are there all we do is go home, unhook and stay.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:10 PM   #30
BTK

M.O.C. #12567
Buy your third camper first.
BTK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 01:35 PM   #31
Slink
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15851
I purchased a used 05 having had at least 15 other rv's over the last 50 years, when i looked over the unit i saw several problems figured approx cost and made him an offer,paid 14000.00 put 2k into it and have a wonderful unit love the rear kitchen 5th year now without incidents properly maintained i don't look for any
Don't be afraid to buy used buy a warranty 1st year good hunting
Slink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:52 PM   #32
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Starting with MSRP, the depreciation is 30% driving it off the lot. Another 10% at the end of the first year and 6% for each year after that. You need to understand that most dealers type up their own MSRP sheet and stick it on the units window. That way they can mart it down 39% off MSRP and make a buyer think they are getting a good deal when in fact the buyer is still paying the real MSRP.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:20 AM   #33
Razrbk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17829
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Larry

Starting with MSRP, the depreciation is 30% driving it off the lot. Another 10% at the end of the first year and 6% for each year after that. You need to understand that most dealers type up their own MSRP sheet and stick it on the units window. That way they can mart it down 39% off MSRP and make a buyer think they are getting a good deal when in fact the buyer is still paying the real MSRP.
How would a new buyer find the true MSRP?
Razrbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 03:37 AM   #34
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
If I were looking for a used Rv, it most likly be a KZ Escalade... made by kz not Thor as the parent Company.. Thor uses the cheapest products put into an Rv... after one year, carpet is trash. The kz after 12 years still looked new. The plastic moulding outside us disintergrating. Bad cheap materials...
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:09 AM   #35
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
Hi Eric,
If you are not planning to keep it for many years do not buy a new one! I got a great price on a 2016 and will be upside down for many years.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:18 AM   #36
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
I sent you a PM. Dick
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote