Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2016, 04:19 AM   #1
buckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #10840
installing push button electric dump

Has anyone installed an electric push button to dump your tanks? Our lever works so hard my husband has a hard time pushing it all the way back in so it doesn't leak. It has always worked hard, but is getting worse. He is thinking of installing the push button on our black tank dump. We happened to see this advertised in a RV catalog and hadn't realized there was such a thing.

buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 04:53 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The rig next to us in Arizona a couple of years ago had a system like that. The one he had failed and left him with no way to dump.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:46 AM   #3
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If your husband is handy, another option is a direct threaded rod pull conversion, assuming you currently have cable pulls.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I don't know that I'd just install a motorized one such that if a valve is that hard to open wouldn't a motorized valve have trouble such that having to fix a valve might then also have to fix a burned out motor? I've seen the automatic valves but prefer to go outside and pull the valve myself just to ensure things look like they are working. I'm already combating the fact that I can't trust my indicators on my 10 year old unit.

Hitting a button inside my rig without having that visual confirmation isn't enough of a convenience to me. Maybe for other things, yes, but not this one.

Just wanna remind you to think real hard on this convenience before jumping into it, especially since it appears you may already be having a problem of some kind that the convenience of a motor might not fix or even make worse.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Do your Hubby a favor and buy these https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-TC37...rra+dump+valve and problem solved after install you can pull the valves with one finger and they are not hard to install just drop the underbelly and there they are,if you go to the search function there is many topics on replacing these valves and cables I have done it to my 2012 AND my 2015 Monty's now with great results
Old 09-26-2016, 05:56 AM   #6
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Yes..put one on the kitchen tank and it has been wonderful..no more bending down under the slide...I put switch in command center....fairly easy to do....just not exactly cheap...I placed mine not on the tank..so that valve is open all the time...the electric valve is in-line where I can see it work and get to easily if it failed and can open it manually....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 04:55 AM   #7
buckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #10840
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sola123

Yes..put one on the kitchen tank and it has been wonderful..no more bending down under the slide...I put switch in command center....fairly easy to do....just not exactly cheap...I placed mine not on the tank..so that valve is open all the time...the electric valve is in-line where I can see it work and get to easily if it failed and can open it manually....
Old 09-29-2016, 05:05 AM   #8
buckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #10840
Sola

We also have the 2011 3665RE. How long ago did you install your electric valve and where did you get it? We saw it advertised in a catalog from Bretz RV in Missoula, Mt. We had some repair work done there.

Thanks everyone on your replies.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:40 AM   #9
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Buckeye....I installed it at least 5 years ago....I got everything from MOC member OZZ.....he has a side business among many other things and he was real active on the MOC site back then....I can probably find my paperwork and give you the details....I cut the pipe from the kitchen tank back about a foot or so from where it connects to the main dump line and installed it there...in a horizontal position so while standing at the command center I can see it move in and out and also for ease of getting to it if I need too...I ran the power and fuse line directly to the command center and installed near tv hookups...got my power from the battery cutoff switch terminal....I leave the original tank valve open all the time and just use the electric one...no more bending over under the slide to pull knob when slide is open...so far no problems....I also just changed out the LRE rubber suspension blocks...they were torn badly...have you changed yours??....if not better check them...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:02 AM   #10
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Putting in an electric system might not solve your problem. I'd try to see what is holding the lever up and making it hard to push before I did anything else.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 03:49 PM   #11
Richard Noble
Established Member

M.O.C. #19062
We have an '08 Challenger (trying to trade it in on a 2016 Montana). I was having problems with the bath grey and black cable pulls and the sensors did not work (for any of the four tanks). First, I dropped the underbelly and replaced the bath grey and black tank pulls with direct pulls (had to use all thread and connectors). I drilled holes in the frame on both sides so that the pulls now are in line with the valves. I also replaced the valves and the black clean-out. Then I checked the mother board and found that it was faulty. Replacing it got all four tank sensors to work. I'll have to remember to tell the next owner (if we trade) that the pull on the passenger side (starboard)is for the black tank. Poor fellow might be a bit confused.
Richard Noble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:34 AM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I'm on the fence about these as it is just another electrically operated failure possibility, but for the couple of replies that have concerns about a hard to pull valve being hard to open electrically as well ... the entire valve is replaced if you go electric.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-E100.../dp/B004RCXC1G
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote