Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
An RV GPS question

I've been using a five year old Garmin that's been fairly good thus far, aside from the once in a while non-existent streets that is. My biggest complaint thus far has been that there are few parks or recreation-type places in it's database. I've got to find either coordinates or a nearby town, etc. That's beside the lame mounting system. I do like the voice command, lane guidance and other features though.

Anyway, after looking at the available "RV" GPS systems it seems they're either as big as a tablet or lacking a feature I currently like. Since I don't think many of us would be able to safely use something larger than 5" (most of us have p/u trucks), which one of those made for RVing do any of you use? What do you like and what do you dislike about yours?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:51 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
You might want to look in the Navigation section. There's a lot of into there about RV GPS's.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:30 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Did that, but it's almost all about how to get from here to there and not directly about overall experiences with different brands/models. That's what I'm looking for.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
Like you I have a 5 year old Garman that is great as long as I use it in conjunction with the Allstays app. That being said I will be buying a new GPS as my Garman is getting finaky when I try to typ in an address.

I am Looking at the Truckers Garman GPS as it has routing for the larger rigs (trucks). Also Camping World has one that has RV settings and Good Sam campgrounds. I would think it would also have a descent list of other campgrounds as well. The RV setting would be great as they can keep a 13.6 RV from trying to go under a 13.0 bridge. That dose not look good on ones resume. The one from Camping World also has information on the percent of down grades on your route.
I will still use Allstays to find RV Parks as I like how they present the information.
Add 40 GAL tank in bed.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #5
commish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14397
If you use a smart phone look for an app called RVParky. It is a free app and it may help.
commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
At least TWO GPS (one on truck, one on dash, thinking of adding another dash model), AllStays, MotionX GPS on the tablet. Sometimes also add about 5 other apps I use on the iPad tablet.

This works when there is a driver and a navigator. If you must drive AND navigate, preplan and study and write basic directions on a small piece of paper.

Update the Garmin maps?? Although personally, I have not found that to be very satisfying. Updates have always seemed lame in the past. Gave up on them. Need to revisit that, see if they did any better the last time.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
I just got that app and it seems great
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 11:17 AM   #8
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
I use GPS City. Usually have good reviews by actual users.

http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-dezl-760lmt.html
http://www.gpscity.com/garmin-rv-760lmt.html

Jim

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I have an, old now, Rand McNally 7710. Built my own mount for it on the dash, not the window, and we like it fine. Does everything I want and has kept us out of trouble. Mounted correctly it's not a vision problem, but exactly the opposite. I use the speed function instead of my speedometer and the large screen displays if exits and intersections all allow me to keep my eyes on the road more often.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:17 PM   #10
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I have the Allstays app on my phone and we also just purchased the Garmin RV GPS and really love it! We are currently on our first trip across the country with it and so far it has performed flawlessly. You enter all of your info about the trailer and truck and it takes all of it into account when planning your trip. There are over 20,000 campground listings pre-installed and comes with free Life-Time and free Traffic updates. It has a 7" screen which is a lot easier to see when driving or putting in info. Our eyes are not what they used to be! The unit also as an Automotive option to use after you drop the trailer and then acts like a regular GPS. It also has Blue-Ray so I can connect my phone through it and send the directions from the Allstays App to the GPS and make or receive phone calls. Love this new Garmin RV unit!!
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Nighthawk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10340
I use a 7" screen GPS and have it mounted on the dash just above my radio, probably much like DQDick. It does not block my view, is very easy to see and within reach to easily enter addresses. I really like the larger screen because it is easier to see the display and enter data. I hard-wired it into the ignition circuit so it would turn off when the ignition is turned off and turn on when I start the truck. It is not specifically for an RV. If I were buy another GPS, I would buy one specifically for RVs (or truckers) for the benefits mentioned by WaltBennett. They might seem a bit pricey, but I wouldn't be without one now. We travelled across the country this past summer, from the west coast of BC to PEI in eastern Canada, then back through Maine and other northern states going as far south as Poplar Bluff, Missouri, (20,000 kms) and the GPS was my best travel friend (next to my wife, of course) in getting me through the larger towns.
Old 11-03-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Camping World carries the Good Sams RV GPS/Nav power by Rand McNally. It's Specifically made for RV's.It includes Good Sam Travel Guide information on 8000 privately owned RV parks, including over 2100 Good Sam Parks. Large vehicle routing with 11 different selectable RV configurations plus car mode. I have a factory nav system in my tow vehicle but am thinking about getting this one to use when towing my 5th.Plus I'm not going to pay $200.00 for the GM Nav Disc updates every time. These come with life time map updates...
Old 11-03-2014, 04:40 PM   #13
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
X3 on the Rand RV GPS. We have used ours for about a year and love it. As has already been stated it has many options and it is easy to use. I also run a second GPS on the dash. Both are mounted so they do not block my view.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:58 AM   #14
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We had a nominal TomTom take us to a ten foot R/R bridge in downtown St Louis Mo. Had to back approximately a mile to turn around. We then purchased a Good Sam by Rand McNally. It takes your units specs and routes accordingly. We haven't had any more troubles. There was a learning curve for us. So far so good!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:10 AM   #15
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
I have used a Garmin for years without problems but it didn't have lifetime map updates. So rather than purchase a map update, I decided to buy a Magellan RoadMate® RV RV5300. It is a real POS and my advice is not to buy one. It stops all the time with critical errors and this always seems to happen when you need it the most.
Thinking about buying the Rand McNally.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #16
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
The Rand RV GPS isn't perfect either. I can say that is has never locked up on me and maintains a good signal even in storms. I have updated the maps for free once, so it is nice having free lifetime updates.

It guided us to a low RR bridge once. It picked the route from an interstate exit to a campground. When we were within two blocks of the low bridge I saw the sign and was able to turn to avoid it, the Rand never warned me about it. The area we are in now has a 11' overpass in a town we frequent when not towing. I left the Rand on RV mode just to see how far in advance it would warn me (I have my height set at 13'6"). Going 30mph approaching the bridge it warned me about 1/2 block away.

When traveling/towing I still check my route in advance using my Trucker's Atlas.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Well, the consensus seems to be that a 7" screen isn't that much of a problem, and that the two best are Garmin and Rand McNally. Since I really like the voice input that Garmin has, I'll probably go that way, but will keep the Rand in mind. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2014, 02:45 AM   #18
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We never rely exclusively on our GPS either in the car(factory) or truck(garmin). We always supplement with a real map and our mapping software. Neither is perfect but together it keeps us out of trouble.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #19
chieflawdawg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6935
I have the Good Sam's Rand and really like it. Have had it almost two years and has worked well. I mount it to the left of the steering wheel on the windshield and it is out of the way, yet easy to reach. Used to use a Garmin and still think the Garmin is a little easy to operate. I do like the big screen on the RM. Easier for these old eyes to see.
chieflawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #20
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
I use an IPad with CoPilot.....bought a vehicle mount on Amazon....mounts to seat bolt and keeps below windshield dash....easy to view in bright sunlight....like it better than any garman we have owned.....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote