Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Replacing Hydraulic Pump

Has anyone replaced the hydraulic pump on their Monty? I was wondering just what happens when you disconnect the hydraulic lines from the pump body. If the slides are in is there any pressure to deal with? Also once the change is complete and you fill the reservoir with hydraulic fluid is there a procedure to purge the air from the lines for proper slider operation?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
mamestra
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12359
We had ours replaced at the time the slides were out and there certainly wasn't any problem or leakage, as it turns out our problem wasn't the pump rather the solenoid rather than the pump. No need to purge or fill the reservoir.
mamestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #3
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Bob,
As mentioned before, reservoir is filled w/ATF (Dexron II, etc). Cheapest you can find is OK.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #4
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Bob Have you called Lippert yet? I have issues with the Hyd Lines out of the pump to the rear slides. I just got off the phone with a Nikki and if I know how long the hoses are they will send me knew one's. Even though it is out of Warranty, can't beat that. So it's worth a call. Hope this helps.
randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
As metioned, there will not be much residual pressure in the system when you loosen the lines ... you'll loose maybe a few tablespoons per line. I'd leave the slides out then just bump the slide switch in the retract direction to kind of equilize the residual pressure. Not knowing what all you're taking apart .... you'll only need to pipe dope the fittings that are pipe thread ... the o-ring fittings seal by the o-ring itself via the nut and washer. If you do R&R the pump with the slides out ... only pre-fill the reservoir with cheap tranny fluid about 1/3 for starters. When you draw the slides in ... the fluid level will rise quite a bit. The system is self bleeding ... cycle the slides completely in and out 3 - 4 times and you'l be good to go. In the end ... check your fluid level and for any leaks or seeps that may arise.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Bruce Jackson

M.O.C. #10955
I rebuilt my hydraulic pump on my 2000 HR 5th wheel. I did it with my slides in. When
I removed the hoses I tied them up so they would not drain. When I put the pump back in
put the hoses back on the pump. Filled the pump. Ran the slides in a out about 3 times.
Check the fluid level everything was fine. No problems.

2003 Dodge 3500 Dually 5.9 Cummins HO
2011 Montana 3150RL
5TH Wheel Air Hitch
Bruce Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Threads... my advice, stay away from Teflon, dieselguy hit it; pipe dope.
My favorite, I use in the HVAC biz.
http://www.rectorseal.com/RectorSeal-Tru-Blu.php
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote