Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Insurance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2010, 01:36 PM   #1
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
GoodSam Emergency Rd Ser

Want to pass along a story and how pleased I am with Good Sam Emergency Rd Service. Middle of May coming back to Washington State from Whistler, B.C. Canada on Hwy 99/15 north Vancouver,blew the fuel pump. Called 800# road service. Gave approx location (some where in Canada) dispatch said he would get back to us. Had outside lane blocked on Freeway. D.W. was petrified. Walking up down with our little dog in her arms telling me the road cones were not stretched out far enough. Two RCMP (Royal Canadian Mounnted Police) cars showed up and after a little fender bender behind them, said we have to get you off the freeway. Called dispatch back told them to them our story and cancelled their truck(had not got a call from them as yet saying truck on Way.)Two tow trucks. To shorten story, towed to Dodge dealer, RV parts store, RV park and then another 50 miles to a high performence diesel repair shop. Towing bill for rig $534.19. Towing bill for truck $65.26 =$599.00. Stayed in rig over night at repair shop. Gave us electric. Was on road by 2pm next day. On road 30 mins. approx. 6 miles from border, the clutch plate disintergrated.Again blocking freeway. DID NOT CALL DISPATCH. Called first tow company. They call a company for me that was closer. Second tow bill for rig and truck $330.75 Grand total $929. Back to same shop. They put in stronger clutch(parts in stock) was back on road by 1pm next. Got back home to Calif. late May. Called Good Sam Customer Ser. and they email me claim forms. Made copies send them in and within a week received this call. We will honor both claims in full. However, you must call dispatch first. We will waive one time the fact you did not call dispatch the 2nd day Please send us origional copies. They understood the police had to get us off the road. Good Sam Emergency Rd Ser. customer service was very friendly and understanding. There timely response was also noted. I couldn't have ask for anything more. I probably would have sat on the freeway a good hour before Good Sam dispatched truck arrived. But they totally understood the police had to get us off the road. Just remember. IN ALL CASES CALL GOOD SAM DISPATCH FIRST. Also, the repair shop was PDR-diesel Performance 94th ave off Hwy 15 in Surrey B.C. Mark Wilson Manager.They bend over backbacks as you can see to get us out on the road. Also, cost for fuel pump and injection pump was $2,000 cheaper than Dodge dealer. Also had them put in a Edge chip. 40 more horse power. Makes a difference. Will have to disconnect it when I go to get smogged in Calif in a couple of years.

All in all a great trip. Traveling is an experience.

Lou

grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We also had great service from Good Sam ERS in West Virginia when our turbo hose blew off. They arranged a tow truck, contacted all the area Ford dealers to find one that could take us in, and found a campground for us to be towed to.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #3
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Thanks for the info, Lou. I have been getting literature from Good Sam's ERS, and debating on purchasing it. You have sold me.
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Lou, Maybe I missed it but did Good Sam ERS pay the entire bill? I had a similar experience in NY State when the GS Tow truck was not contracted to work the NY Thruway so I used a contracted tow company, submitted the bill to GS and received a check within two weeks. I will remain with them until we give up the life. I've had two tires changed by them also. Sometimes can take a little while to get the service, but, hey, It's part of the coverage.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
grooving grandpa
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8250
Hello Phil,

Yes, Good Sam paid the whole bill, truck and 5th wheel, with the exception for 15.75 for Canada fuel surcharge. I received approved from them within one week, but was told it would take 4 to 6 weeks before I received the check. Approval was on June 9th. As of today have not received a check. If I understand right, you received your check with 2 weeks. Think I will call and ask, why it only takes a week to get approval but 6 weeks to get a check. Will let the forum know the answer. I am still satisfied with them. Like custom service said, in all cases call the dispatcher first and then if you need to be moved sooner call dispatcher back and tell them you are getting a local tow company.
grooving grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It's great when a Company does what it says it will do. Many companies could learn from these folks. Great customer service!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've used our GS ERS a few times and always been pleased with the service. The first thing they asked, every time, was whether we are off the road and in a safe location. Since we were always off the road I do not know what they would have said or done if we were blocking a road lane.

I'm glad to hear they took care of you and understood. One reason we've stayed with them for around 15 years is they understand what equipment is needed and make sure the right equipment and enough equpment (e.g. 2 tow trucks if needed) is sent. I'm not confident that an automotive ERS type company would always have a representative on the phone who understands those things. Maybe so, but I can't be confident about that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

We’ve used them several times and it’s good to know they where there when we needed them. I wouldn’t want to be on the road without them.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:52 PM   #9
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I was not going to renew my ERS but my wife talked me into it. When we were coming back from Branson last month we experienced a blow out, fortunately we were close to a rest stop. We called ERS and they responded with a tow truck from about an hour away. I'm glad Louise talked me into renewing.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote