Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2009, 02:39 PM   #1
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Directv HD DVR Question

For anyone with the new DirecTv HD DVR: Are you able to watch one show while recording another even without a phone land line?? Their website says you must have a landline to digitally record. I am making arrangements to have some wiring done to support the new receiver but want to make sure it will be worthwhile. We currently have the Winegard Traveler HD roof mount dish and the older standard HD (non DVR) receiver.....

Thanks Phil

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:46 PM   #2
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
No phone line needed to record one program while watching another.
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Phil, on our Direct TV HD DVR, we have two cables from the dish running into the back of the reciever. That is in our stick house.
We are going to take the DVR with us to Florida and see what happens when they come to the Montana to hook it up for us. I'm wondering where they will run the second line?
Phone line needed only when ordering PPV shows.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Phil,we have 3 Direct HD DVR,s in the stick house and have never had a phone line hooked up to any of them.
The only thing we can't do is order a paid movie with the remote control,we use the computer to order instead.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Phil, on our Direct TV HD DVR, we have two cables from the dish running into the back of the reciever. That is in our stick house.
We are going to take the DVR with us to Florida and see what happens when they come to the Montana to hook it up for us. I'm wondering where they will run the second line?
Phone line needed only when ordering PPV shows.
Steve, You will have to have another line run from your dish to your receiver, unless you already have two, in order to record one while watching another. Supposedly, the guys from DirecTv will not run cable in RV's, at least, that's what I have been told a couple of times now. That is what we are considering having done but wanted to check on the land line thing. Tenporarily, you could probably run one externally and thru a window to ent center for a short stay.

Please let me know what they end up doing when you get to FL.

Thanks everyone else for your replies. That is what I thought but their comment on their website kinda threw me. Phil
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Phil, you DON'T need a phone line, they claim they need it to update your software but they can do that right over the sat. as far as I have been told by installers the only reason they want a phone line is for multiple receivers so they can keep track of how many you have on the system. So I don't worry about it, we have been of the phone lines for four years with no problems... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Phil,
As stated above if you want to watch and record at the same time you need two cables or the SWIM which Dave (EXNAVYDIVER) had and TRASHED. I had to add wiring to MONTY to allow for DVR in either Bedroom or Entertainment center. Actually your DVR receiver will not work without two cables. So if it is working you have the correct set up but may need to reset.
Oh, I did find (with EXNAVYDIVER's guidance) that the DVR does need to be reset at times. Go to the Signal Strength window and check to make sure it is getting signal on the second transponder. If not Do a reset. If this does not make sense contact Dave or me and we can talk you through it.

Merry Christmas.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Not to confuse the one-line or two-line in config, but DTV can use one-line in depending on the HD/DVR receiver model if it is the only receiver in the Montana. It's more technical than I fully understand but it can be accomplished.

Landline phone line no longer needed with DTV. PPV movies can be ordered via PC, call-in with telephone line or schedule thru their website. You can also schedule recordings thru their website.

I know John Kohl or Dave (exnavydiver) can provide detail requirements for the one-line in setup.

Phil, for a consideration, DTV tech may actually wire your whole setup beyond basic DTV install.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #9
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks Dave, John and Dennis. I know how to reset the signals but I only have one line in right now as I do not have the DVR yet. That is what I want to install and will need to run another line, according to DTV Tech Rep (if they know what they are talking about). I want to be able to watch one channel while recording another. I can see the need for a second line. My system works fine right now with just the HD receiver (not the DVR). We are evaluating whether we want to keep and install the spare HD Receiver for the BR and basement. Told we will have to run another line from the dish to the receiver box (to locate in BR), and then TEE off of that one to the basement. Does this sound correct? Will then have the ability to watch TV outside when possible (although controls will be inside trailer). Just don't know if the added expense of running cables and an AC outlet will be worth our while.....We got an estimate the other day from a local RV shop ($675.) seems like a fair price for all the labor and parts. This includes an AC Outlet in the basement also. .... Any comments?????

I do not feel competent to do this myself so I have no other options other than just forget it..... Thanks for any suggestions.....

Phil
Old 12-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #10
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
Phil, we have a newer HD DVR with one line coming in and we can watch one channel and record another with no landline. It was installed by the DirecTV tech. But, we only use it on one TV. That probably makes a difference.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:40 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Well either a SWIM unit (one cable) or the addition of another input cable is necessary for the DVR (whether HD or SD, makes no difference). I don't know your model well enough to speculate on the difficulty of adding a second cable input. I know on the 29nn models, it is a piece of cake.

As for feeding another unit in the bedroom, do you use the bat-wing antenna? If not, you can cannibalize the cable which runs from the bat-wing connection in the bedroom to the entertainment center. That along with a Multi-switch (Direct TV's version of a splitter) is all you need. Very easy. You will have to run a separate cable if you want to continue to use the bat-wing antenna.

I bet there will be folks at the Spring Rally in TX that have done all of this themselves and would likely be willing to aid.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
My two cents worth.

It is my understanding that to watch one show while recording another you need two tuners in the DVR. Not knowing which model number you are getting, I can't look up the configuration.

Looking at the back of the DVR, when you get it, see if there are two inputs, sat1 and sat2. If there are, then in all likelihood you have a dual receiver.

Looking at the back of the DirectTV R22 DVR it indicates that there are two satellite inputs. This is for a dual line input, OR you should be able to run a multiswitch or diplexer. Feeding both Sat inputs will also give you picture-in-picture for when you want to skip commercials (did I say that).

Also looking at the back of the R22 there is NO RF output. That is you must use HDMI, Component Video, S-Video, or regulars RCA video and audio output. I believe this is going to limit you in how far you can run a line without signal loss. If it had a typical RF output you could run it to the back bedroom without problems.

I plan on switching over to DirecTV some time soon and I'll be more up onm their equipment when I do. Now if it were the DISH network, I'd be able to tell you "where to go."

Edited: Oh, and as others have said, the phone line is not a requirement for operating the DVR. It is mainly used for ordering PPV and technical troubleshooting in some cases.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #13
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
not sure how it works but i have dish hd dvr and i can record one show and watch another.........
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote