Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #1
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
Interesting article about the RV Industry

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31766546.../#sp-tx/page-2

Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
It is an interesting article. Thanks for putting it up.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
It's an interesting article but I believe it's mistaken in one respect. Yes, RV sales are in a slump, no doubt about it, but I don't think people who have RV's are using them less. Instead, they are taking shorter trips. I spoke to the owners of a campground near us about this and they said they are seeing a lot more campers who live closer to their park than people who were driving from further away. Another thing the article didn't touch on is repairs. Just like autos that are kept longer, RV's need more repair work as they age. This may not be a big boon to the RV sales industry, but it may help out dealers with lagging sales of RV's to at least keep their service departments open.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
TomS
I'm new here. Would you please post a picture of the trailer that you pull with that truck?
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 11:45 AM   #5
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Tom. Here in Mackinaw City - the poster city for tourism with 250 residents and 10,000 tourists PER DAY - I just talked to a gentleman in the Crossings shopping area and he mentioned this same thing. He is from Alpena (100 miles away) here with his kids instead of heading to Yellowstone Park.

As I watch the license plates here, I see mostly Mich plates. Very few OH/IN/IL plates, let alone anything further away. Have been a coming hear for 35-40 years (I graduated HS 90 miles from here. Don't remember it this lopsided before... Of course we are dealing with MY memory...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Joeagrant

TomS
I'm new here. Would you please post a picture of the trailer that you pull with that truck?
Joe, The picture you are referring to was taken in Valdez, Alaska. I'm not too sure the pull anything with it, but it sure grabbed my attention!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:34 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I stopped in at our dealer's today, he only had one new Montana on the lot and said he could not get any more for 6 weeks. Apparently Keystone have big order backlogs and are hiring at a high level. I hope this is a good omen.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Pete we were just in Elkhart last week and on the way up we seen one 5th wheel going south. We did see many tag alongs going South. However our Dealership has sold 6 5th wheels this past week. However they didn't have trade-ins. They are already planing for the Super RV show in Tampa in Jan. It will depend a lot on fuel prices, if fuel goes up the industry will just limp along. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #9
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
10,000 miles in 5-1/2 weeks, 22 states and Canada??? Nomads of the interstate system?

Where do they get these morons to interview?

sreigle has the perfect saying for these people in his signature. (Steve, please excuse me for using your signature quote, but it is so darned true.)

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything." - Charles Kuralt, On the Road with Charles Kuralt

BTW, Pete, thanks for the article.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote