Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2008, 12:29 PM   #1
Art Izer

M.O.C. #8516
Computer Overheating

Has anyone had to deal with their lap top overheating and shutting down?? If anyone has a cure let us know please.

Art Izer
Oak Ridge
Tennessee

Art Izer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:07 PM   #2
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
First, welcome to the forum, Art.

Mine will sometimes do that, but usually it's because I have it sitting in my lap and there isn't enough air circulation. Leave it off and let if cool down before you turn it back on. I have resorted to just using ours at the table. I'll be watching this thread to see if there's a secret I don't know!
Tammy
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
There are little coolers for lap tops, Chill pads, or something they are called. They plug into a USB port and run off the computer's power, not required to plug it into the wall. I have found for about $30. at Staples, and other places that sell computer goodies, Best Buy, Office Max, etc. etc. etc. The one I have had pretty good luck with is Targus Notebook Chill Mat.

I have had to replace a couple after a year or two, but, they do help keep your computer cooler, the internal fan will not run as much with the cooler working, and if you do like to balance on your lap, at least your legs won't be toast.

I have never had a computer shut down from excess heat tho, with or without the chill Pad. (hope I did not curse myself with that "never" statement)
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 01:58 PM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Art,

Welcome to the MOC.

I've had my laptop get hot but never so hot that it shut down. Most likely it is as folks have indicated... not enough air able to circulate as it should. I had mine sitting on a cloth one time and it was just enough to cause it to get very warm. Simply removed the cloth and had it on the table and it cooled right down.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If you are like me, you sit in the easy chair and poke away. There are a few slits in the bottom of the laptop that suck in and expels air as the fan inside works. I just spread my legs a little to let the air circulate. You could cut yourself a comfortable piece of 1/4 inch plywood or peg board to set the computer on in your lap that should help and maybe eliminate the overheating. I had mine sitting on a cushion once and it did shut down. Rather have it do that then burn something up.

Also pay attention to the ac adapter/charger. I never leave mine plugged in while I'm sleeping or away from the computer for any period of time, like out sight seeing. Those things can overheat and start a fire. They get real hot when plugged in.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Dust and dirt collects in the cooling fins and keeps the fans from properly doing their job. Easy fix however, use compressed air to blow out the fins. The previous tips help as well.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:45 PM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Mine gets hot sitting on my lap or legs. I have a hardback (not to heavy) that i put underneath the laptop and it runs cooler,, my legs dont cook either!! thats a hardback book!
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:42 PM   #8
3pac
Established Member

M.O.C. #1951
Art,

Just bought Phil a Notebook Cooling Pad with built-in fans(model NB360CP - Micro Innovations)from RADIOSHACK for $12.99. I think $12.99 is a sales price for Father's Day. I gave it to him this morning for Father's Day and have used it all day. So far so good; it seems to work well keeping the computer cool. You power the 2 built-in fans through your notebook's USB port. No AC adapter or batteries required.
3pac is offline   Reply With Quote