Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Campground St. Regis, St. Regis MT

I highly recommend this private park Just off I-90 near the MT-ID border. The owners, Mitch & Lisa are on site and constantly checking on conditions. The showers & restrooms are immaculate and the park has a lot of wildlife carved from cut trees with a chain saw. It's a good stopover for the trip to Glacier National Park, 170 miles away.

Don

Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don and Claudia, we heartily agree. We stayed at that park our first year of fulltiming. It's a beautiful park and the carvings are amazing. At our request, the lady at the desk recommended a ten mile scenic drive in the mountains. On that drive we saw our very first moose in the wild.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don and Claudia,
Glad to hear you're having a good time on your "maiden" voyage. Retired, that is! While you're there drive over and check out the CG on the east side of town. I can't remember the name of it but it was a nice place too. Not as many trees nor as secluded as the one on the west side but still nice. I assume you're going to take the "back road" into the Glacier area. We really enjoyed that road. At first thought we were the only ones on the road but eventually saw another car or two!

Well now I realize you are already at Glacier! DUH! Hungry Horse is such a nice place. When I first saw our campsite I said there is NO WAY! I can't get this huge rig into that spot! But turned out to be a piece of cake. And we enjoyed our stay immensely.

Keep having fun and see you on down the road.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, did you end up at Mountain Meadows at Hungry Horse? What do you think? We really enjoyed that park. We were on the east side of the office, first (north) site in the row.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:51 PM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Dennis,

We did poke around the area a bit and drove by the Nugget RV Park. We also took a day trip NE out of St. Regis on 135 to 200 and then back NW through Thompson Falls ID, Clark Fork ID, Sandpoint ID, south to Coeur d'Alene and back over Lookout Pass on I-90. It was a lot more fun without the Montana in tow. We left St. Regis Sunday morning via 135 to 200 again, this time turning SE at 200, to Ravalli MT then north through St. Ignatiaus, around the west side of Flathead Lake to Polson and Kallispell.

Going to the Sun is only open 16 miles in to Avalanche Creek at this time, but we're told that they're breaking through a 70' snow drift at Logan Pass and it may be open to that point by the end of the week. There is a slide area east of that point and it may not be repaired until mid July, if by then. We knew that a few months ago when started planning the trip so it wasn't a big surprise.

Tomorrow we plan to drive around the park to the east side and check that area out and may stick around longer than we originally planned in the area. Plenty of time now!

Don
Old 06-04-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Wow, you made it just in time for one of our thunderstorms...But don't let that drive you out. The go as fast as they come. There is a Grizzly preserve going towards Glacier. You can't miss it. You go through Hungry Horse and it is on the left side. There is a truck parked outside. It is something that you can't miss. The bears are roaming around some are swimming some are sleeping. It is about $10. I think. You just drive through and can stay in there as long as you want. Let me know if there is any info you need. Have a great Glacier trip. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 03:24 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don, on the east side are some gorgeous areas. I don't recall them all but Many Glacier and Two Medicine (something like that) ring a bell.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Steve,

Yes, we are at Mountain Meadows in site #12, at the top of the hill directly above and behind the office. They originally had us in #11 but it was tight for the slides, awning and hookups, so they let us move. This is also a pull through, but I believe I'll have to back out of it because of the drop off in the front.

Many Glacier & Two Medicine are spots we'll aim for tomorrow, as well as any others we can squeeze the truck into. You'd be surprised how many times already I've said "I'll bet Steve and Vicki have been through here!"
Old 06-04-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Kathi,

We drove past the grizzly park this morning and will definately see that while we're here. Claudia's a big fan of bears and in fact bailed out of the truck in British Columbia a few years ago, camera in hand to get a picture of a grizz before the truck stopped rolling. I was afraid she'd break the camera!

Was that your Montana I saw setting along side the highway north of Kallispell with a For Sale sign on it?

Don
Old 06-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Man, that's a shame that Going to the Sun Road is not open all the way. All of Glacier is absolutely beautiful but the closed parts of the road are the best. Of course.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:18 AM   #11
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Don;
No that one has been sitting there all winter. I believe it is a 2955 or a little bit bigger because it has the rear entry door like toolmanroy's. I still have mine sitting in my RV spot on the side of the house. We live off of Helena Flats and it is very well traveled. I have gotten some bites and there is this one guy that lives in a trailer that keeps coming back to look at it. He lives in a 22ft. He said if he would have known that it would be that small he wouldn't have bought it in the first place. If I don't sell it then I plan on taking it to Gardner's RV and leaving it there. I didn't realize how much stuff I had in there till I had to clean it out. Now I have a small apartment inside my living room in my stick house. I hope you enjoy your stay here. There is so much to see that you will have to come back to make sure you get to the Going to the Sun Road. Steve is right, it is the best part of Glacier. Also if you get hungry for chicken or ribs there is a place in Columbia Falls called the Back Room. They have the best meals for next to nothing. Ask Steve, they really liked it. You are real close to Hungry Horse Dam also. It is a really neat place with history and a building you can go into and learn about the building of it. Enjoy......Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:59 AM   #12
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Kathi is right .. the back room has THE best food and imho the best fry bread. I miss that place greatly. Another place to eat that I liked was Grouse Mountain Lodge in Whitefish ..looks spendy but is pretty reasonable.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:23 AM   #13
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
When you go to Many Glacier, be sure to stop at Two Sisters Cafe (near Babb on US 89) ... fabulous burgers and just a fun place to eat.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:37 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, the Back Room was really good. There's another place we really liked, too. Sure wish I could remember the name of it.

As Vicki said, Two Sisters is unique. Excellent burgers. The outside is really garish and the inside rather unique. It's an experience. We ate there two or three times when we were on that side of Glacier.

Also, Park Cafe in St. Mary is pretty good. Great pie!

We were just talking here that we want to go back to Glacier. One month was not enough. We based out of Hungry Horse last time, as you know, and explored a lot of backroad areas including a drive up to Bowman Lake (let your tires down a bit and take it slow -- very washboardy, but rewarding drive). Next time I think we'll base out of the east side and do some backroad exploring on that side. I already see on the map a couple of roads I'd like to check out.