Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #1
perfect5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #13340
Send a message via Yahoo to perfect5th
3150RL shower skylight shade

For those of you who are tired of getting the top of your head burnt or having to hide from the laughing birds while taking a shower, I found an inexpensive solution to installing a skylight shade in the shower.
I went to Lowe's and purchased a pull down vinyl shade like you would use for a window. (they actually had lots of return shades which were cut to proper width for around $10.00 including mounting hardware) Lowe's will also cut it to proper width at no cost...
Being spring loaded, it retracts and pulls out like it should and attaches to the distant end of the skylight with a button hook. "Works great and cheaper than paying $65.00 at your local RV store?)

perfect5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Your shower shade has merit ... another cheap fix for the heat produced by the shower dome is remove the inner lens from the ceiling and place 1" bubble-wrap in-between it and the outer lens, then replace the inner lens. You'll be amazed at the heat transfer difference.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #3
perfect5th
Established Member

M.O.C. #13340
Send a message via Yahoo to perfect5th
Great idea...Thanks
perfect5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #4
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Never thought about the heat issue, but do enjoy the day light coming through the ceiling when showering and using the bathroom in general. Have considered that if Keystone would make the hole bigger we could access the roof through the bath using an opening ceiling window. I suppose we need a pillow stuffer like those used for the second air conditioner hole. Oh, we have two extra Forever Comfy seat cushions that might could be mashed up into the hole, maybe.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I just went to an auto parts store and purchased a can of spray paint that you use on the taillights to make them darker. Many of the auto restorers use this on their units for show purposes. I took the inner lens out and spray painted it with a cloud-like coating, let it dry and re-installed it. It not only cuts down the light but also reduces the heat from developing between the two lenses. Don't ask me how,but it does. It also lets us sleep later when the sun comes creeping in early in the summer mornings!

By the way perfect5th, what year and model Monte do you have?

Duh-- look at the title of the post dummy! Sorry about that!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I like the light and heat in the winter so I use some of the silver reflective material and velcro it up there. That way I have it when the Kansas sun is at it's height, but can pull it out as soon as the heat isn't an issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We use a measured and fabricated silver bubble insulation covering with velcro at the edges and just hook and loop the thing to cover the skylight frame. We did this to darken the skylight so in the morning with our floor plan we aren't awakened by incoming sunlight. We also use the foam vent covers and more bubble insulation on the backside of the day/night shades. The bedroom is now kept very dark. In the morning after we are awake when we want to wake up, the coverings are removed allowing light to enter and the day/night shades to be used for controlling more daylight.

I went with this method because it was very cheap and this would not be affected by shower water or steam on shading or its hardware. I should post a picture to show how simple (and cheap) this turned out. But YOUR method might be more perfect...
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote