Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2004, 04:39 AM   #1
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
black tank flush

I'm sure someone has ask this before but here goes! We purchased a 2004 3670 rl last spring so this is my first go round with winterizing this unit. What is the best way to blow the water out of the black tank flush system and then to force anti freeze thru that part of the system?

pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 05:12 AM   #2
Glass Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #321
The black tank flush on the Montana's is self draining you do not have to blow out the black tank, If you drain your tank good the last time you dumped all I would do is dump a little RV anti-freeze down the toilet when you run anti-freeze through your lines, a little bit of water will not hurt your tanks it is the lines and valves you need to worry about.Roman
Glass Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I use a blowout adapter that works from a compressor. It's a tire valve with a garden hose fitting on it. I first blow the water out then hook up a 10' or so length of arden hose. Add antifreeze to the hose and blow it into flush pipes.

It does pretty much self drain and a little water won't hurt anything anyway. Just keep valves open. Damage occurs when the water expands and there is no place to go. If there's an exit point( valve or cap off) the water will expand in that direction without damaging anything.
Many just blow out the system and don't use antifreeze. I use antifreeze since it only takes 2-3 gallons. I'd rather spend the $10 than fix a broken pipe or fitting.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #4
pilk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1633
Send a message via AIM to pilk
thanks to glass guy and nj hillbilly for the tips!! sounds like this is going to be much easier than I expected. Bob&Connie
pilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
pilk,

Welcome to the forum!!!

Might I suggest that although Glass Guy and NJ Hillbilly gave you great tips, that you might also want to try the search engine at the top of the page. There have been a number of discussions on this. Lots of great info out there.

Don't I remember something about releasing the pressure on the city water attachment on outside of the rig? I thought this was discussed quite a bit last fall.

You can tell that Al gives directions on winterizing and I am the gofer, can't cha??

Carol

(Hey Glass Guy, how's the color down your way?? Got nice here REAL fast, like in 4 days!)
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 09:23 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Carol says, release the pressure on the city water connection. Remove the screen and push the white pin to release the pressure. Otherwise it may freeze and push the o-ring out of place (been there). Careful, though. YOu may get sprayed when you do this.

As Glass Guy said, the black flush should self drain. I never even thought to winterize that. Be sure to drain the outside shower, if you have one. I also put some loose insulation behind it's door on ours in the winter, just in case I didn't get all the water out. I'm not sure if that helps but we've not had any problems.

After you've done the winterizing once, next time it will take you about 15 minutes. Thirty if you take a break.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote