Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2011, 04:17 AM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Propane Regulator Replacement

I would like to replace the red regulator, the single stage on the curb side. When I switch to this tank the indicator shows half green and half red, shows all green on the other side. I would like to know from someone who has reasearched this and what valve they replaced theirs with and where to get one. I have replaced this red valve once already, the original one started leaking.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:24 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've replaced mine with a 30 psi Marshall like what's been recommended by others. Here's a link:

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...Regulator.html

I have one of these and it's not leaking, but I am still having a problem like you describe and per others who have had this problem, it might be the hose or the autoswitching regulator needs to be blown out or replaced. I haven't looked into it because we aren't going anywhere soon and won't worry about it until we do.

Please let us know what you find in your rig.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Same one and same source as Art because mine was leaking. Has worked fine ever since.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #4
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
I just bought one to replace the OE defect one..$44.00 ..there is all kinds of posts on this forum about them..I learned everything from this forum and even taught the repair guy some things he wasnt aware of....do the search and yu will find everything you need..I found the autoswitch regulator had to be replaced..if yo have any questions give me a shout..I am in the RGV of TX..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:08 AM   #5
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Art-n-Marge

I've replaced mine with a 30 psi Marshall like what's been recommended by others. Here's a link:

https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...Regulator.html
I had a bad one on my Mountaineer two years ago and replaced it with a Marshall unit as noted by Art-n-Marge. You definately want the 30lb. unit.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I removed mine completely and have not had any problem. Now the regulator shows green on both tanks.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #7
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
O.K. here's my question. Our tanks automatically switch but the red/green indicator does not change so we have no way of just looking to see how we are doing with propane. The green stays on the same tank even though the regulator has switched tanks.

Anyone out there had this problem?

Thanks, Judy
dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:33 AM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dreamers2010

O.K. here's my question. Our tanks automatically switch but the red/green indicator does not change so we have no way of just looking to see how we are doing with propane. The green stays on the same tank even though the regulator has switched tanks.

Anyone out there had this problem?

Thanks, Judy
Here's a silly question. Did you manually switch the regulator lever to point toward the tank that's full?

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:44 AM   #9
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

I removed mine completely and have not had any problem. Now the regulator shows green on both tanks.
I removed mine and could not get a replacement for it..so I left it off...I suspect that is the reason I had so much trouble with the two stage regulator and had to replace it ...I have been told that the red regulator should be there to ensure/prevent the liquid propane from migrating across to the two stage regulator....I was also told that as long as there was no red regulator(diffused/vapouriser) I should exchange tanks side to side instead of swtiching over via the two stage regulator...I am only repeating what knowledgeable folk have told me..I am not the expert.. hope this helps someone..
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I do not understand why this red regulator is needed, my 04 3400 did not have one and I never had a problem, What has Changed? I cant seem to find out why they added this regulator. Dennis do have any ideas? The drivers side tank goes directly into the 2 stage regulator why cant the other one? I would sure appreciate it if someone could explain this.
Bill
Old 02-02-2011, 09:46 AM   #11
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
I was told at the PDI it was part of the generator ready package.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:17 AM   #12
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by William H. Collier

I do not understand why this red regulator is needed, my 04 3400 did not have one and I never had a problem, What has Changed? I cant seem to find out why they added this regulator. Dennis do have any ideas? The drivers side tank goes directly into the 2 stage regulator why cant the other one? I would sure appreciate it if someone could explain this.
Bill
A new saftey requirement as of around 2005/2006. Don't remember what agency dictated it.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
dreamers2010
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9962
Send a message via AIM to dreamers2010
No, we don't move the red/green regulator by hand. When we discover the tanks have changed we just try to remember - usually go fill the empty tank pretty soon.

We do have an Onan 5.0 generator that I believe was factory installed. The unit was 2 years old when we bought it.

Thanks, Judy
dreamers2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:04 PM   #14
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Bill, the red regulator was added to try and keep the tank safety valve from shutting down when the tank valve is open to fast. When you remove the tank from the passenger side the gas tends to leak out of the 1/2 inch pipe. The added regulator prevents that. Then when you return later to add the refilled tank and open the valve too fast, the gas rushes out to fill the void and that causes the safety valve in the tank to shut down.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 AM   #15
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Thanks Dennis, as soon as it warms up that valve is going in the parts box.
Bill
Old 02-03-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I think that I read in the manual that the red/green indicator shows to let one know that an automatic switchover occurred and the tank selector switch needs to be changed to the now active tank and that there is a reduced propane flow until the manual switch is done.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
We had our red regulator fail and at the same time found out our switch over dual stage regulator had failed as well. This was on out 2006 Montana. In conversations with the Marshall people they pointed out that there was a period in time when they found out Montana was storing their black cross over pipes in a horizontal position. This allowed the cutting oil used to cut the threads to leach into the pipes before installation. The oil in the pipes eventually ruined the seals in the regulators. Marshall sent me a new main switch over dual stage regulator free of charge. I replaced that regulator and the red regulator with the 30 PSI version that Marshall recommended. I also cleaned out the cross over pipe too. Haven't had any more problems for a couple of years.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote