Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > Archived - MOC WEB SITE & COMPUTER TECH HELP > Archived MOC Geek Squad
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2009, 12:50 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Upgraded?

I guess you call it an upgrade when Bill Gates gets more money to fix his software. Just upgraded to Windows 7. Not sure how I feel about it yet. Got some interesting bells and whistles. Don't know yet about stability, but so far it seems to do well on this 64 bit machine.

If you are thinking about moving from Vista to Windows 7, block out a few hours to complete the task. I had to read carefully to avoid making errors, so the transition was not seamless to me.

After the installation more time was spent downloading the necessary upgrades to software, drivers, and firmware for Windows 7.

I would be interested to know what others have experienced and if there are any known pitfalls with this OS.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Windows 7, 64-bit came with my present computer. So far I'm pleased with it. I like it a lot better than XP and Marge has yet to speak about it as compared to her Vista. Personally, I think it's better than Vista also. I'm still getting used to it; have had it only since November 4th.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:53 PM   #3
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I upgraded both my desktop and laptop took about a 1/2 hour each, I really like it, it is much faster and have had no problems except the drivers for my all in one printer, HP didnt come out with their new driver until the middle of Nov.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I’m still using XP, I no more than got all of my pc’s on it when the Windows Vista came out. They change them too quickly to suit me.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #5
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I think I will stay with XP for awhile, I have enough problems.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 03:32 PM   #6
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
I have Windows 7, have only been on it for two days.
To early for me to tell.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:11 PM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I hated Vista, two years before it came out (I worked for a Microsoft development partner and we were too small to tell them it was going to be a bad idea). They spent too much effort on bells and whistles and not enough time on getting them to work right. All the trouble they had with it was laughable. We could only grin at the outcome.

My laptop is on XP and with its hardware configuration I am not sure it will work seamlessly with Win7 until I do a complete checkout on driver availability and application software compatibility (which should be 100% compatible with what I've got).

Next year, I will probably first upgrade this Vista system I use at home, because anything has got to be better than this Vista crap currently on my 'puter. If this works the laptop upgrade may be next, then I may consider upgrading my wife's XP desktop after she sees and likes Win7 on my desktop and laptop. Of course, I have to check driver and software availability on her system as well, prior to upgrading it.

Please report back on your experiences so I can be better prepared.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
We have XP, Vista, and now W7. After a month of experience with W7, I have to say I like it better than any of the others. Stable, quick (not a Vista attribute), and pretty intuitive operation are the things I really like. It really is what Vista should have been.

The only incompatibility was the driver for my older UM150 air card, on the CD for VZ Access Manager, didn't recognize W7 and wouldn't install. The W7 compatible driver was on Verizon's web site and easily installed.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #9
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
I suffered with Vista from day 1. As an early user, I think I had every possible problem a person/computer could have. The weird thing about it was all the problems were on my desktop, my laptop seemed to love it and runs flawlessly with Vista.

When Windows 7 came out, I jumped on it. I subscribe to a publication called Maximum PC and they are very honest in their reviews of software and hardware. They said Win 7 had fixed all the old Vista problems and that was good enough for me. The install was less painful than yours, about an hour and a half, and everything works as advertised. FWIW, I am running the Home Premium version.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #10
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
I have a new laptop with W7 and like it quite well. Reports were that it is much better than vista, which I never had.

I never update the windows to the most current release. I did it in the past and always had new problems that could not be fixed. My old laptop still has Windows 98. I would only update if my computer was only months old.

All my home and office computers have XP Professional which I like really well. They were built with it and run well with it.

Drew

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:07 AM   #11
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Interesting, that the migration from Vista to Windows 7 isn't the simple "quick to do" task that Microsoft touts. Supposedly, going from Vista to Windows 7 is painless; XP users are warned that it's not quite as quick and easy to complete the task. I'm considering the switch myself, because I am not in love with Vista , but I'm waiting until I hear from more real people doing real migrations. Your comments were a big help.

One thing I do wonder about: Since Vista didn't work with much of my old hardware and favorite software programs, I had to buy a new scanner, printer, and some new software. Will those work with Windows 7, I hope?? (I wouldn't have bought the new hardware, but there were no new "Vista" drivers available for either the scanner or the printer.)

Keep us posted on how you like Windows 7.
Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:33 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
So far there have been only a handful of programs that didn't work with my Windows 7. That's because I have Windows 7, 64-bit software. If I had the 32-bit software, I'm told that these programs would work.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #13
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
I have switched both of our laptops over to Windows 7. So far we like it. It is much faster and has some new bells and whistles. Still learning to navigate. I did have help from a computer geek friend to change one machine from XP to Windows 7. The change over from the Vista machine was so easy that this cave man could do it!!!!
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

I manage our network here at work and it runs on XP. I also have a network at home and do some high end video editing/forensics. I had one computer on Vista and had so much trouble initially, I loathed that laptop everytime I fired it up. It was a nightmare working with graphic files etc.

Once Win 7 came out, I talked to network folk who beta tested it and no one said anything bad. I saw a three system upgrade offer at Staples and jumped on it at home to experiment.

To my delight, it was very easy to install, very user friendly and very stable. The nice thing was when I did encounter a problem, it made it very easy to ID the problem and find a fix.

I have used it a few months now and am very pleased with performance and background operations. I use a video production program that is very CPU intensive and with the same computer had so many issues with lock ups, crashes etc, it was almost ready to go into the trash can.

I loaded win 7 64 bit (highly recommend 64 bit) and it has been issue free with this software. I did have to upgrade my video card as the other was a couple years old. I literally cut my work in half as a result of no random crashes with this system. My wife comments on how much less potty mouth comes from the studio while creating!
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
I upgraded my laptop between Xmas and New Years. I had to increase to 2g memory that was suggested. I am still learning to use it but it seams to work very well and is very quick. I also I bought an external hard drive to store our pictures on it.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote