Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Need good but not 2 expensive Surge Protector?

My husband wants to go portable with the surge protector and I read where I believe Richfaa has the EMS-PT-50C that works with 30 or 50 AMP. Is that what we will need with our Cougar and one that would suit our needs well??? Are there any others that are just as good or better for a similar price??? Just looking for opinions/experience.

I am sorry for asking such a stupid question (LOL) but I am not sure what dictates the need for 30 or 50 amp - the campground electrical hookup OR the RV itself or a combination of both. I thought if we had a washer and dryer and two air conditioners, we would need 50 amp service but since we will not have a W&D and only one A/C unit, I thought we might only need the 30 amp service and power surge protector ???

I found the 50 amp one on line that I can get total with shipping for $340.31 and I thought that sounded like a fair price - is it??? Is it true if it is really needed just one time, the surge protector can potentially get "fried" and you will need to buy a new one (if it is past the year warranty)? Nevertheless, it will give me peace of mind and nice to know that we may not lose the ability to use our RV for some time due to it being repaired due to no power or worse yet even an electrical fire.

Around here we DO get a lot of electrical storms and power surges/loss of power. This device will cover issues with electrical storms, won't it??? I sure hope so! I can also see where you could get real issues with sudden bursts of power usage at campgrounds.

Thanks so much for being so patient and explaining things to someone who knows so little.

Wannabe Full-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:34 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
The portable surge protector your husband wants is probably a 50-amp which can be used with both 30- and 50-amp shore power. Don't get caught up in some of the "horror stories" that you may hear or read about on some of the forums. Just be protected. We've used both the 30- and 50-amp portable Surge Guards for five years and as one of my previous posts indicated, it saved us when the CG we are in lost one phase of the power and the transformer we were connected to dropped our line voltage to 56 volts as measured by the power company lineman.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
Since we know nothing of these types of things, I am going to assume that this one is probably a pretty good one and will do at least what it needs to do???

Thanks so much?
Old 04-30-2007, 03:09 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Compair specs..If you are not sure it would be worth it to contact a certified electrician to confirm what you need. Consider what you are protecting. There are many real experts on this forum and there are also some not so real experts, my self included. The one I mention has a digital readout where it can go through its start up maint routine and show the resuts before I plug the camper into the surge protector. I am sure there are others that do the same and are just as good. Price is not the only indicator of a good product..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
Wannabe Full-timer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6190
I totally agree with ya Richafaa. My husband & I know nothing of what we are doing when it comes to electrical stuff (or a lot of RV stuff for that matter).

I have a lot of confidence in you Montana folks after reading the forum for about a year and feel with the experience you all have that when you feel good about a product you have and find it user friendly (which we really need! LOL) and that it does a good job for you that it is probably a good item.

I realize the $ amount is not the only issue. I am sure there are some that have more bells & whistles that cost more, maybe even are considered a higher end product. We want something user friendly, a good product, and it sounds like what you have would fit that bill. I just wanted to verify that before ordering it. Thanks for the feedback. As always it is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:15 AM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Here is a link to a surge guard that is $400 at CW, on sale for $275...works on 50 amps or 30 amps: https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com/newsto...4D0D9E3D22304E

I got the lock, also.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 03:41 AM   #7
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Can you help me understand how it works on both 30A and 50A?
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote