Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2005, 04:08 PM   #1
Montana_2341
Established Member

M.O.C. #2341
King pin stabilizer jack

Being new to fifth wheels I have a question. Do I need a king pin stabilizer jack for my 2005 3670RL? I have been told I do and that I do not need one. Also why is there such a big difference in the pricing of the jacks? Some are around 80.00 and others are around 170.00. Which one would be best? Thanks for the help.
Boyd and Shirley Dillon

Montana_2341 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
You don't NEED a king pin stabilizer, but it's NICE to have one. Especially if someone moves around a lot in their sleep... I feel the stabilizer makes a noticeable difference in side-to-side stability, especially when up in the bedroom.

Usually we only put ours out (old style 2 leg version) when we are going to be setup in one place for more than 2 days or if we want to put our flagpole up. It's a perfect weight for the under-the-wheel type flagpole stands.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 07:51 PM   #3
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Same words...don't need but real nice to have.

We have the 2 leg version. Works fine. We use it almost every time we unhitch, even for overnighters. It provides greatly increased lateral stability (side-to-side wiggle prevention). If I had it do again, probably would get the 3 leg type. It gives some fore-aft stability assist as well.

We carry the stabilizer in the bed of the Ram..Heavy enough that it never moves around. Also, when setting up, we level first, then put down the rear stabilizers, give the front jacks about a 1/2 second "up" toggle of the switch. That makes the rear stabilizers a bit more "firm" than just the screwjack operation...but don't overdo it! They are not "jacks". Last, we put in the front stabilizer at the kingpin. Likewise, don't overdo the tightening on that...it is not a "jack" either.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the kingpin tripod that I use on my coach. I would highly suggest one as they do really help take that "shake" out of the coach. I have only had the tripod so cannot compare it against the bi-pod, but have seen many rv's with both. Good luck with your decision, and congrats on the new coach.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:07 AM   #5
foggyb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1351
I think so highly of mine that I left it at home leaning against the storage building. It's free if anyone wants to pick it up. Installed two scizzor jacks mid ship and that was hundreds of times more efective and I don't have to mess with that clumsey tri pod. D
foggyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 AM   #6
Montana_2341
Established Member

M.O.C. #2341
Thanks for all the replys and opinions. The other thing I don't understand about the stabilizers is the difference in the price. It seems that they all do the same thing but there is a large price difference.
Boyd
Old 01-10-2005, 02:17 AM   #7
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I must say that I find myself in agreement with foggyb above, though I have carried around such a 'stabilizer' in three different fifth wheels. I know this is asking for trouble, but I have not been able to detect any difference when it is in use. Therefore, I have used it only a few times across 3 RV and 8 years. On one occasion I did find it extrememly helpful. In one of those 'on the level' sites in Stone Mountain Park near Atlanta, I found it necessary to try to re-level (fore and aft) after I had unhooked. I tried a dangerous operation (don't do this at home) by raising the landing gear with the weight on the stabilizer, then adjusting the blocks under the landing gear. I was lucky and it worked. Still, I think I'll leave the heavy ballast at home from now on. Remember, my position is: these are matters of personal experience and preference and I respect those whose experience and preference are entirely different from my own. I feel no need to try to convince them that I am right and they are wrong, because it is just as likely that I am wrong.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Not all are created equal. Look at the size of the tube, diameter of the screw etc.

If you really want to decide if you need one, next time your set up brace yourself and push the pin box on the 5er sideways. That movement is completely eliminated.

If your light on your feet you may never notice the shake, but if you have a partner with good brakes or stiff knees running back and forth you really notice a difference with the stabilizer.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:32 AM   #9
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have never tried the stabalizer, but I did pick up a used wheel lock at yard sale. We have found that using it makes big diffenence to shaking, and is a lot less hardware to carry around.

Try watching the wheels while your partner moves around in the trailer, if you are like me, you will be surprised at how much the wheels jiggle back and forth, even with chocks in place.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 05:02 AM   #10
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
padredw you have more nerve then I do. I don't think I would trust my 3 legged stabalizer to hold my hitch weight.
We have the 3 legged one and we use it all the time. Our's isn't the most expensive model...just 3 legs with chain between each leg. Some of the more expensive ones allow you to use a king pin lock. Some don't. I think that is one of the bigger differences.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #11
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We have a tri-pod and it really helps, but we also have heavy footed teens coming and going with their friends.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:28 AM   #12
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
We bought one at Camping World, but forgot the price we paid. It is a tripod and has a single chain for adjusting the legs. It also has a long screw type adjustment for height and it can be locked. Using it with wheel chocks between the wheels has elimated most if not all of the motion when we are parked. The tripod is quite easy to errect and use. This model has extra wide feet on it and holds good in the Florida sand.

I'm so clumsly, I figured it will pay for itself by keeping me from fracturing my skull on the king pin.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #13
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have a 3 legged tripod and it makes a difference in my opinion. Also I think that putting locks between the wheels keeps some of the foward and aft motion down. I have an old one that can be locked. Had it a long time.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:22 PM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We do use the tripod on extended stays of a week or more BUT only in conjunction with the mechanical wheel chocks and frame jacks.

I am sure you know where the chocks and tripod go.
2 of the frame jacks go directly behind the rear spring shackles against the frame. Tighten snug but not tight enough to do any lifting. I don't use them but the 2nd pair of jacks can be placed in front of the front shackles.

After experimentation and using all but the 2 front jacks we have removed 90% of all movement. If I left out any one item we still had movement. Of course you still need the front jacks and the rear stabilizers.

The remaining 10% of the movement serves as a reminder that we are now living the good life as Fulltimers.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #15
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We haven't gotten one yet and I wondered about the difference between a two and three legged version. As I suspected it's a matter of preference.

I also want one of two of those wheel locks. John you're so fortunate to have found one at a yard sale.

So both of those are on my to buy list. Does the list ever go away? I know Dick is hoping I will quit coming up with things we need. I can't remember how many times I have said, well once we buy this we won't need to buy anything else. LOL Does it ever end?

Cardshark thank you for bringing up such a good question.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 04:31 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, we've had both two and three legged kingpin stabilizers and can't say either is better or worse than the other. All I can say is be sure to get one with sufficient adjustment to work in situations where the pin is real high above or real low to the ground. We have a tripod like in Glenn's picture with us now. We also have one that does not have the can on screw on the top and it won't work in some situations. It's currently in our son's garage in Kansas City.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 03:57 AM   #17
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RC and Samantha

I also want one of two of those wheel locks. John you're so fortunate to have found one at a yard sale.
Patty
Surprisingly, one seems to do a pretty good job by itself. So far I have not felt the need to go out an buy a second one. (It was a campground yard sale at Gulf State Park, I suppose that improved my odds of finding one).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Garage/Yard sales saved me big time...

The wheel chocks I pictured above cost about 60 bucks each at Camping World. I got 2 like new with wrenches for 15 bucks each.

The frame jacks new are about 34 bucks for a set of four, I paid 8 bucks.

also picked up a set of 10 plastic leveling blocks with the zippered bag for 5 bucks, sell new for 25.

Love them Garage/Yard sales. Most any Friday or Saturday morning you'll find me cruizing the streets for bargains.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:10 AM   #19
Montana_2341
Established Member

M.O.C. #2341
I was looking at the comments of the people who posted. I want to thank all who took time out of their day to offer their thoughts. Let me ask this. Is there a correaltion between the size of the unit vs the amount of movement that is felt? It would seem to me that we will feel less movement in our 3670RL than we did in our 27TT Open Road that we had previously. I went on the site RV.net and there was a thread there addressing the same topic. The vast majority of the postings were in favor of the use of a stabilizer. Again thanks to everyone who posted.
Boyd
Old 01-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #20
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
I would say the longer the unit, the more motion you will feel. We had a 32 foot Sea Breeze 5er before trading up to the 3575RL and I do think the 3575 has more detectable motion. Of course, this is not comparing apples to apples since they're made by different manufacturers.

Logically thinking though....the longer the unit, the further away the kingpin is from the wheels, so there will be more lateral motion.

I also agree with the previous posts about wheel chocks. We use them everytime we set up. Not only is it for safety, but also for stability.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote