Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2017, 06:52 PM   #281
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
There is a chance that I will know by tomorrow if our unit will be back to us in time to prepare for our trip or not. At the point where I had almost given up any signs of hope, an unexpected member of the Montana team contacted me and has asked for the case to be reviewed. Maybe, just maybe, I'll know one way or the other tomorrow.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #282
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Geez, way to remain hopeful after all this. I guess if you keep lowering the bar for them, eventually they'll get over it! But, what else can you do at this point? Hope you get good news...

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM   #283
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sambam View Post
Geez, way to remain hopeful after all this. I guess if you keep lowering the bar for them, eventually they'll get over it! But, what else can you do at this point? Hope you get good news...
Not really optimistic with all the other things that have to be done to it, but like you said, at this point nothing else we can do. You know, I read on another forum of several rigs back over the last few years that went back to Montana for repairs and were kept for up to 4 months. I never believed those reports until now.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #284
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
What I have learned over 10 years, two trucks and two Montana's is that we will not do it again. We are done with Rv'ing in the next couple of years and we question the wisdom of doing it in the first place. We have over 200K invested in two trucks and two Montana's, hitches, Is system just the Rving basics no cost of diesel fuel, campgrounds, insurance , extended warranties etc. that is about 20K a year. We could have done a lot of travel on 20K a year without the hassle of RV ownership.

That is not really a complaint . The Montana has been our magic carpet over 100K of travel and 41 of the lower 48 states visited and we have not had any big problems with dealers or keystone .We have reinforced our knowledge that quality is not job one in the RV industry.It is far worse than we understood it was even with our experience of selling RV's. IMO it would have made no difference in the brand we purchased in our price range in terms of quality or failures.

Just saying IMO we could have done the same thing for the same $$$ without the RV.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #285
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
I understand Rich.

Well, I was contacted by the manager assigned to our case today and the first thing out of her mouth was, "Why is your unit still here?" That struck a nerve WAY down deep. I'm sure it was her way of breaking the ice as she knew she was in the wrong when her boss has to tell her to check up on a customer. We had a long conversation to which her answer was that there was "No excuse why the camper had been there that long!" She asked me what I'd been told and then she accessed the emails of the one I've been talking to. I said that I was tired of getting no where with the one I've been dealing with and have called her several times the last month, but have always been transferred to the "floor scheduler". The manager then gives me her direct line and asks me to deal only with her. I explained that I was under the impression when we talked last I was to do that, but they would not transfer me to her, only to the floor. She said she was sorry as the people who answer the phone are trained to do that. She apologized that it had never crossed her mind. Long story short, she says there is no reason why the unit should not be back by the 6th of April, maybe even earlier. She asked me to call her tomorrow and she would give me the reason for the delay, if there was one. When I explained that I was told it has been sitting there for a week and couldn't get welded for another week, she stated that Lippert was just across the street and there was no reason for it to take more than a couple of hours to get one there. I will update when I can.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:25 PM   #286
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
She is correct Lippert is just down the street it is the fabrication shop and they have plenty of welders there. Sure would like to hear the reason for the delay.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 AM   #287
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post

She said she was sorry as the people who answer the phone are trained to do that.

There is the proof of what I have been saying all along. Keystone trains their people that answer the phones to just get rid of the owner in order to avoid responsibility.

Phil P
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:46 AM   #288
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Wonder if a link to this thread, sent to Mr. Holmes would do any one any good?

holms@keystonerv.com

Stephen Holmes
General Manager of Retail Operations
Keystone RV & Dutchmen Manufacturing Inc.
RVIA/RVDA Master Certified Technician
866-425-4369 (Phone)
866-273-1453/1457 (Fax)

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #289
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Wonder if a link to this thread, sent to Mr. Holmes would do any one any good?

holms@keystonerv.com

Stephen Holmes
General Manager of Retail Operations
Keystone RV & Dutchmen Manufacturing Inc.
RVIA/RVDA Master Certified Technician
866-425-4369 (Phone)
866-273-1453/1457 (Fax)
It is funny you should post this. As of two days ago he was informed of this problem and met with the managers yesterday morning and I received a call yesterday afternoon from my upper level case manager. I'd bet he hasn't seen this though. He was only told of my Facebook post from what I understand.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:28 PM   #290
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
No update today as I was told. Left two messages that were not returned.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:48 PM   #291
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Round and round we go.....

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 04:54 AM   #292
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

What you have here is a well documented record of events that pretty much parallels mine.

The one difference I see is the actions by Golfmedik’s dealer. My dealer did not have and qualified technicians in the shop the only certified technician they had was the service manager and he had no idea how to manage a shop. My qualification for making this statement is my experience in manages 30 technicians working on extensive repairs and inspections on a product that range in value from 8 million to 40 million dollars.

They jerked me around like they have Golfmedik until we were out of warranty. Then when I caught Holmes at an RV show he promised to resolve the problem which he did not just at a later date informed me they would not help.

So coupled with the now fact that Keystone trains their employees to delay action as long as possible. Keystones backing dealer purely on their sales record. Keystones total absence of auditing or requiring the dealer to have a service department capable of servicing the equipment they sell. The lack of any real comprehensive quality control program on the production line instead of using and end of line inspection that will not show the hidden deficiencies. This illustrates the way Keystone views the end user as a cash cow instead of an important part of the chain of revenue production.

Now for the lies they have told me, no one else is having tire problems, we don’t track these problems, we don’t have a service facility in Goshen, you must take it to the selling dealer (I was 3,000 miles away), we no longer give you information from the build ticket because the dealers now have direct access to this information via the Internet, etc it goes on and on the dealer they told me to call and gave me to phone number of just hung up on me when I made the request and told them what keystone said I guess they are tired of Keystone passing off their responsibility to the dealers.

Then after my experience in the last 4 months watching 2 other Thor companies treat the new owner the same way you all will now understand why I WILL NEVER OWN another Thor product.

Phil P
Old 03-25-2017, 07:03 AM   #293
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

What you have here is a well documented record of events......cut.............. we no longer give you information from the build ticket because the dealers now have direct access to this information via the Internet, etc ...........cut.................................... ................
Then after my experience in the last 4 months watching 2 other Thor companies treat the new owner the same way you all will now understand why I WILL NEVER OWN another Thor product.

Phil P
I have followed this extremely long posting since it started. I think everyone would agree that golfmedic has not been treated right by his dealer or the factory, actually that may be a huge understatement.

However, after a bad experience with a Keystone Montana product (parent company Thor) to say that all Thor products are bad and their factory representatives conduct themselves the same is not an accurate statement.

I have stated this before but I will repeat it. My MH is a Thor, that is the brand name on it. I have the original factory build sheet and spec sheet. In addition, when I purchased it (used) I contacted Thor customer service and requested any and all drawings for my model. After proving I was the owner of that VIN and model, they emailed me dozens of pages of all structural, electrical, HVAC, and plumbing schematics.

I got jerked around by Keystone customer service while I was under the one year factory warranty after purchasing my one and only new 3725RL unit. Some may remember an issue with broken latches on escape windows from a few years back. For over 9 months Keystone was unable to produce these latches for warranty repair thus requiring many of us to have to wire tie these fire escape windows closed. We turned to the National Traffic Safety folks and after filing complaints the latches were immediately available!

I am not bringing this all up to further bad mouth Keystone. We loved both of our units and they served us well. My point is that just because one RV manufacturer with Thor's handprint on it may not have a very good customer relations at times certainly doesn't mean that everything "Thor" is the same.
JandC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #294
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

Your position would be attainable if it weren’t for the mentioned record that clearly shows that for what ever reason some owners get preferential treatment.

As far as Thor goes here is the problem.

December 29 2016 Thro Class A new owned by purchaser for less than a week driven less than 300 miles. The unit had no power in the coach, no manual that pertained to the unit just a generic manual that was clearly marked owners for several classes of coach including class A. Got the power restored the found no hot water in the kitchen manual was of no use this type of water heater wasn’t even listed in the paperwork. Found information on water heater on internet got hot water but not in kitchen. At this point called Thor customer service the was mid morning. Got a person that acted like she didn’t know what a class A coach was, passed to another person got same results know knowledge of the unit and informed the owner to go back to the dealer.

Does this sound familiar????

Next March 16, 2017 A towable manufactured buy a Thor company this unit was about 3 months old the story told by the owner is like ours and Golfmedik complete run around by dealer and customer service. I looked the unit over and most of the problems could have been corrected in a day by a competent service department.

Does this sound familiar???

Sorry but this indicates a trend related to Thor and no one else. It is becoming apparent Thor is squizing these companies for more profits and thus the decline in service.

I will say it again three strikes and you are out I WILL NEVER own another Thor product.

Phil P
Old 03-25-2017, 09:36 AM   #295
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I WILL NEVER own another Thor product.

Phil P[/QUOTE]

If they think customer service is expensive wonder what this cost.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:06 AM   #296
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi Lynwood

My thoughts as well you would think with a month waiting time before the unit got into the shop and then more waiting time because they didn’t have enough welders that sooner or latter someone’s bean counter should start asking questions about cost!!!!

Phil P
Old 03-25-2017, 11:38 AM   #297
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Some time back, in a different thread, someone commented that you only hear about the bad, never the good.

What Golfmedic has and is going through is definitely bad. Sadly this can happen to anybody in any industry. A lot of folks have posted replies offering sympathy, contact info, advice and general support.

Others however, have taken this opportunity to bash everything Keystone. This just seems like piling on. (everyone in entitled to their opinion) If these folks are so unhappy, why do they still own there product and continue to post how bad the RV industry and Keystone are ? It seems that their agenda is to make all us happy owners feel like we made a BIG mistake.

I for one am very happy with my Montana. Yes I had a few problems the first year I owned it. My dealership and Keystone took care of my issues. I am/was not one of the "preferential" few. I was not a return customer nor a prominent citizen. I just told the dealer my issue, they worked with Keystone and the problem was solved. I am sure there are a lot of other very pleased owners on this forum.

A lot of us come here for tips and advice to better enjoy over multi $$$$ toys. To log into this forum and see continued bashing is off-putting. Again, everyone is entitled to their opinion.

The continued bashing by some does not help Golfmedic with his situation. Golfmedic has methodically documented for us his plight. I feel we should all support him in his endeavor to get his issues resolved.

J M H O
Jerry

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:53 AM   #298
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
True that! it is getting a little old there Phil we feel for Golfmedic and he is giving us all the info and keeping everybody updated and we appreciate his posts but you have been just been Piling on so can ya just move on to some other subject? WE GET IT you will never buy another Thor but the majority love ours and would buy another in a heartbeat (3 for me)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:32 PM   #299
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I wonder if the preferential treatment some of us get is by being able to attend the Fall rallies where all the service center and tech reps and vendors are. We have attended every rally since 2006 because we like rallies and we are within 300 miles of The Goshen rally.We have also been to many regional rallies.

I do not feel the preferential treatment. We do because we are there bypass a lot of the process. We do not have to submit photos since the folks that would be looking at the photos are looking at your Montana. The folks that give the approval for repair are looking at you problem. The service center and many other authorized repair centers are there to do the work once approved. We did not have our issue resolved at the service center but at a approved facility down the road. In fact we deliberately go to the fall rally knowing that if we have a issue we will be able t o have it addressed by the service center or another facility. We want to replace our sofa at the next rally and we know since all the vendors are there we will be able to go to one of the vendors and buy a sofa.That can be viewed as preferential treatment since it is impossible for the majority of Montana owners to get to the Elkhart/Goshen area or the fall rally.

The fall rally is the place to get things done quickly because it is at the factory and much of the process can be bypassed not to mention the vendors give good prices such a Lippert/Mor ryde and they do that at ALL rallies any brand.

The advantage we have over many, many others is that we are close to The factory and can attend the fall rally. In fact we go to that area for all major repairs, another advantage. I do not think that is preferential treatment
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #300
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
The fall rally may have something to do with it, but it all starts at the dealer. I had a crack in my front side, my dealer was awesome and after a few failed attempts by them and the body shop, they contacted Keystone and got Keystone to pick up my trailer, bring it to the factory and return it back to the dealer when the work was done. There are a lot of reasons some people get good customer service and others don't, but it all starts at the dealer level.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote