Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #61
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks DonandBonnie! That is exactly what I think! At least your portables ran your AC. We are still trying to figure out why ours aren't! We think we are going to have to turn off the inverter...but don't know for sure. I just keep suggesting we need a built-in unit! I think he is sold!

BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #62
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
My Honda 3000 will easally run our 15k AC and more. We run the refer and water heater on LP. Have to shut down the AC to run the micro/conv, vaccum, or coffee pot. Also it runs 10-12 hours on a tank under high loads and in excess of 24-28 hours at low loads. Love the Honda, it's just to heavy for one person to lift or move easally. I need to get a wheel kit for it.
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #63
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BusyCarol

Thanks DonandBonnie! That is exactly what I think! At least your portables ran your AC. We are still trying to figure out why ours aren't! We think we are going to have to turn off the inverter...but don't know for sure. I just keep suggesting we need a built-in unit! I think he is sold!

In Billings you are losing about 10% due to altitude. Propane also loses about 10% over gasoline.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #64
RonD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8962
Our 2010 3075RL has a factory installed Generator. Now that said, if I had to do it all over I would not buy the built in generator, it has always worked fine, but the upside is push a button you have power, down side they make more noise than the small Honda Generators, burn 8 times the fuel also, we ran ours once for maybe 6 hours, it drained one of the propane tanks, if you want the slick setup, get a pair of the 3000 Honda's, and one of those adapters that let you run one, or both depending on the load you want to use, just plug your cord into it and your done, Gen Prep isn't required, nor a transfer switch
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:30 PM   #65
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Honda now makes a 6500 for about $3900. Saw a few in show rooms over the last couple years. About the same price as 2 EU3000's. It's worth at least looking at. Check Camping world site, I know they have them.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #66
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Generator's are a personal decision as to what is better for the individual's circumstances. We have the portables and used them extensively (actually modified the previous rig to allow us to use a 3000 watt model while en route). We now have the built-in and while it does use more fuel, we also have more capabilities. Knowing this up front, we upgraded the propane tanks to the 40 pound ones, and one tank will last between 8-10 hours at full load. We are very happy with the built-in, do not miss in the slightest having to manhandle a portable generator (our 3000 watt model weighs around 150 pounds), and have learned to use the generator on an as-needed basis to prolong the propane availability. One should consider their usage patterns, their back strength, and any other factors deemed to be important to them before investing their money in any alternative. We still have the portables, use the small Honda on the boat extensively, and use both during power outages at the house. There are advantages and disadvantages to either choice.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #67
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Thanks Ron, woodtic (still find that to be an interesting username) and Bingo for your input! It is a tough choice in some regards...there are a lot of things to consider. Cost being the main consideration! We do a fair amount of drycamping (my definition is - no hookups but at a campsite not open land) about an hour away from us. My husband did not like the inconvenience of having to lug the portables out when we needed them and then take them down to prevent theft when we didn't. We also travel with dogs that would benefit a lot from being able to run a generator when driving. The noise is a big factor for me and the Yamaha's are not the loudest but definitely not the quietest units out there. When I go 'camping' I like to hear nature not the 'hum' of a gennie!

With that said the weight is different (100lb for two portable vs. 290lb for one built-in), the difference in cost (own the portables and the built-in is shall we say PRICEY), convenience (built-in wins that battles), and the fact that well...I don't know...like the capability of being able to run everything with it. Right now, with the altitude here and especially where we camp it is harder to run generators.

I do truly appreciate everyones input! Please keep it coming. We still haven't made a final decision. My husband is seriously looking at the 5500 vs 6500 per the MOC members suggestions! I still think we are going to end up with the 6500 but what can I say. It is his money!
Old 09-23-2012, 07:22 PM   #68
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
"Woodtic" short for "Wood Tick" the 6 legged nasty blood suckers. A racing buddy gave me the nickname and it kinda stuck. Long story.... When racing the announcer informs the guy in front of me that he has a woodtic on his *** (behind).. Quite funny and the responses are priceless.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 PM   #69
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
That is GREAT! I love all of the creative 'nicknames' and user names that people have been given/chosen over the years! That is a funny story! Of course now I am thinking of you in a whole new light!
Old 09-24-2012, 02:23 AM   #70
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Woodtic, interesting that you mention that your Honda 3000 powered your AC. I had one, but everytime I used my AC the overload protector tripped. Nothing else running in the trailer at the time, either. I had other friends that have had great luck with the 3000 and others with the same experience I did. Wonder what the difference is? I'm pretty sure the AC units are identical. I finally traded in the 3000 for two 2000's with the parallel kit. Other than the hastle of lugging them around and fueling every few hours, they have worked perfectly. Can't run multiple electric appliances simultaneously, but I don't think you can do that with any generator.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #71
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
DonandBonnie with have the Yamaha 2000is, with the parallel kit and we can't get that to run our AC at all. We are going to try turning off the inverter to see. Oh well! I was told by the Cummins Onan rep that the 6500 would run both an AC unit, my microwave, and a few other things and still have some power left over. However, I will believe it when I see it because the rep who sold me the Yamaha's told me that they would run the AC and my microwave at the same time and they don't run the AC at all. Oh well!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #72
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Carol, I knew a fellow a few years ago who worked in a power plant. He said he couldn't prove to anyone that he worked for a living because he couldn't show anybody what he made. I think we have a similar situation with these generators. They tell us what they are suppose to do but you can't really see what they are doing. It makes no sense to me that my two 2000's in parallel work my AC perfectly and yours don't. It makes no sense why some 3000's work alone and others don't. I guess I'll stick with my level of electrical knowledge, if I push that thingy on the wall and the light comes on, something is working. If not, I'll yell for help.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 07:19 AM   #73
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Carol, I can tell you first hand that our 5500 Onan will run both of our 15K ACs. Probably not much left for anything else, although we did have the Fridge on AC and the Converter wasn't turned off. We did this when the temps were in the mid 90's so we needed to cool the rig down before bed time.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 AM   #74
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Don that is so funny! My husband, the Electrical Engineer, comes home and starts telling me what he did at work and I just tell him he needs to 'stop speaking Farsi'! I gather all of the data when it comes to electrical stuff but then he interprets with the altitude we are at but doesn't make sense to him either and he knows his stuff. I think that is the other reason Keith is looking at the bigger model is that we have just that much more wattage in case the altitude has a bigger affect on us than we realize.

Thanks Michelle & Ann for letting me know that your 5500 runs both your ACs. That is important to me! I would love it if it could do that and run my microwave at the same time! I will be so excited when we can just push a button and it starts and everything runs.

Thanks again everyone! Please keep the info coming!
Old 09-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #75
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Woodtic - If you look at the specs on the Honda EU6500iS you will see it only has a 30A receptacle. So to get full use of the rated 5500W/45.8 amps (6500W max/peak 54.1 apms) you will have to use one of the cheater boxes that combines the 30A & 20A receptacles on the generator.

The EU3000iS is rated at 2800W/23.3 amps (3000W/25A max) also with a 30amp Receptacle. The EU3000is is what I recently bought a month ago. I can run the 15000btu A/C in the living room while the charger is in bulk mode with no problems. If I ever decide I need more power I will buy a 2nd one with a parallel kit with a 50amp receptacle. That should give me a max of 46.6amps combined.

Originally I was thinking of a 8500W Onan diesel mounted on the truck since the truck carries plenty of diesel. But after analyzing our true needs we felt the convenience of the bigger generator was not justified by the price. But again that is for our needs/use. And we still have the option of adding a 2nd 3000 if needed.

As for weight the 3000 is 135#. So 270# for 2. The 6500 is 260#. So only a 10# difference. Also the 6500 only holds 4.5g of gas and at load is good for 4.7 hours before needing to refuel. The 3000 holds 3.4g but at full load will run for 7.2 hours. One of the downsides to the Hondas is the fuel is gravity fed. So if you want to use a larger external tank you either need a electric fuel pump or have to have the tank placed high enough for gravity to keep the fuel flowing.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote