Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #1
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
SLIDEOUTS RETRACTING SLOWER THAN EXTENDING

We just picked up our 3rd Montana, a 2010 3605SA and noticed that the slideouts extended fairly quickly as our last 2 did. When we went to retract the slideouts in the new trailer the pump would run for 10-15 seconds before the bedroom slide would start to retract and 1/4 the speed of extending.The same applies to the other 3 slideouts and by the time the last and largest slide starts to retract it sounds like the pump will blow a breaker or something.The pump fluid was very low and I gave the dealer a ration of you know what after I filled it. I then looked at the battery and although it looked smaller than our past trailers, it checked out to be a NC-24 Nautilus/marine battery and the battery indicator shows fully charged.After about 6 slide sequences it still sounds the same. Any input would be appreciated.

madeforeachother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Fjkiss
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6278
sounds like air in the system. time to ck back with dealer. when they say its ok, ck it there with the mechanic
Fjkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #3
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Typically, air in the system will purge itself and be evident by a lowering of the fluid as the air recirculates into the holding tank. Check it frequently after retracting. Never when extended.

Let me ask, when you extend, and it is going faster, have you just arrived at the site? Are you still hooked to the TV? Do your batteries charge off of the alternating system of the TV?

When you retract, have you been sitting for some time? Is the battery voltage at the threshold of falling under the requirements of the slide motor?

There are so many conditions that have to be met to really trouble shoot this. Also, a call to the manufacturer may result in a simple fix.

Have you used a hydrometer on your battery cells. The specific gravity will show if you have a weak or dead cell. If you do, then it can show a full charge, or close to one, but upon high current draw it will deplete rapidly and cause a low voltage. Have you check the voltage after retracting and/or extending the slide to see if there was a large drop?

Others may be along with some other information.

Good luck.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #4
madeforeachother
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6748
The trailer is sitting in our driveway unhooked from my truck but hooked up to to power to make sure the battery is fully charged.I do not have a hydrometer but would think being a new battery everything should be ok. The battery looked a bit smaller than the last trailer's battery but came up to specs after I checked online the make and model number. I know as time goes on they make things smaller with more power time and twice the price so I dismissed thinking it's the battery. I do have to return to the dealer to have the front decal replaced and will instruct them to check out the slide operation "again" with me standing there wanting an answer. We picked it up on Christmas Eve and it was pouring rain, so we couldn't and didn't fine tooth all what we should have. Thanks so much for everyone's input. How's your joke forum doing?
madeforeachother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Koerb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6445
Mine are operating just the opposite. Extend quite slowly and retract quickly. Also I've notice when I'm extending the bedroom slide goes out then both the kitchen & entertanment slides at the same time then the living room. (3400RL) Thought there was a post a while back telling how to sinc them so only one slide operated at a time. ??
Koerb is offline   Reply With Quote