Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #21
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
You require two coax cables connected to the dvr. Check the back of the dvr and there should be two connections for satellite. So, you may need to run a second coax to the dvr. IF you have a swm system/lnb on the satellite dish, then one coax cable will work, the dvr would also need to be a swm compatible.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 05:54 AM   #22
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
You require two coax cables connected to the dvr. Check the back of the dvr and there should be two connections for satellite. So, you may need to run a second coax to the dvr. IF you have a swm system/lnb on the satellite dish, then one coax cable will work, the dvr would also need to be a swm compatible.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:25 AM   #23
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carl n susan

Would calling it the "satellite antenna cable" make it any more clear???
Kellyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #24
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Quote:

Would calling it the "satellite antenna cable" make it any more clear???
It was ANTENNA that was confusing since the coach has capability for satellite, antenna and cable. Sorry for the question.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:38 AM   #25
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I avoided using "satellite cable" as some would misconstrue that to mean the receiver to TV cable rather than the cable from the satellite antenna to the satellite receiver. Hence the term antenna.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:19 AM   #26
Kellyjones
Established Member

M.O.C. #18782
Quote:

I avoided using "satellite cable" as some would misconstrue that to mean the receiver to TV cable rather than the cable from the satellite antenna to the satellite receiver. Hence the term antenna.
I have a tailgater so I run my coax satellite cable from that to my coach. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:42 AM   #27
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
The RV hookups for the sat are junk. you have to make sure the signal line from the dish is NOT going through a splitter and ours had one inline, i found it behind the antenna booster in the wall behind the tv in the bedroom so i just ran new lines. i think that might be your problem.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:04 AM   #28
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have a 2006 and to simplify things, I installed separate antenna connector to connect to my Dish Antenna. I installed GOOD cables from the wall mounted connector inside the RV to the receiver. From here it was HDMI. Works great--use the TV menu to select the input. The RV cable input and antenna input is unchanged. Basically followed Carl's instructions--also helps I am a retired antenna engineer! The gray hair and gray brain cells still work-sometime!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:33 PM   #29
MARK A
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18157
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by troutbum53

Can anybody give me some directions on hooking the satellite dish and box to our camper? I have hooked the cable to the satellite port and then tried different hook ups in behind the tv and we get nothing. I am sure it is pretty simple but I am tech challenged lol.
Our 2016 Montana had such crummy coax, and connectors that the inconsistent signal made it impossible to use. The dealers response was "there's probably a splitter somewhere"..... Anyway, a new coax installed by me in an hour had it running flawlessly.

Mark
Old 08-17-2016, 03:59 AM   #30
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Mark--great job! I suspect that the "industry standard" at Keystone for satellite cables and connectors really mean CHEAP and have a rookie do it!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:26 AM   #31
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
My original coax (a single external connector) came into a dual coax wall plate below the living room TV. By removing the jumper between those two wall plate connectors and adding a new coax from that wall plate to my sat box, it worked fine, even with the original internal coax cable.

But removing that jumper for sat and putting it back for park cable was a nuisance. So I also added a new external coax connector, ran a new high quality coax from that to a new coax wall plate below the TV, and connected that to my sat box, and HDMI to the TV. No more moving the jumper depending on sat or park cable. In fact I can have both at the same time now by selecting the proper TV source.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #32
Wheelhouse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11462
I don't think this was mentioned in the reply's? When going through the setup, make sure you indicate what type of dish you are using (18" round, oval, etc). If you do not put in the proper dish, IT WON'T WORK. Hope this helps.
Wheelhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:41 PM   #33
wmclark43
Established Member

M.O.C. #19165
Carl-
Do you have instructions and/or a link to install a Dish Dual (Playmaker) antenna and 2 receivers - one for main TV and second in the bedroom?
I live 100 miles from a Montana dealer and the local Dish installer folks are not RV specialests
Thanks and happy camping Bill
wmclark43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Are U talkin' to me WMClark43?? If so, understand I am a DirecTV guy but I camp with Dish users and have some idea of how it works. But the bigger question is what year and model RV do you have. Montana keeps "improving" their cable/antenna/satellite wiring and knowing which variation you have is important.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:43 PM   #35
shovelhead86
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10985
I have more experience in this than I want to admit. I could not get my dish tailgater to get any sats. using coach wiring. I called dish multiple time and they said you cannot use coach wiring with their VIP 211K receiver and tailgater. They told me to run coax through the window. I also spoke with King satellites. they are Mfg. of tailgater and many others. They said to use a max of 25 ft of coax. I have used 50 ft in the past successfully. But they want the receiver wired directly to the antenna. No splitters or barell couplings. Good luck
shovelhead86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #36
wmclark43
Established Member

M.O.C. #19165
Carl-
Thanks for the prompt reply. The Montana is a 2013 3100RL.
I downloaded the schematic for the single receiver dated 9/24/12 and am guessing mine is wired the same plus or minus. So, back to a dual antenna and 2 receivers.
Any help in that direction would be appreciated. Again , thanks for the prompt reply.
Bill
Old 08-16-2018, 09:42 AM   #37
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I was happy to see the schematic in this thread. It will save me an extra receiver for the tv in my storage compartment.

Now back out to wrestle with my receivers again. I put the wally in the living room and the 211z in the bedroom. They aren't playing well together, but do great separately with my winegard pathwayx2. I'm going to switch the 211z to the living room and wally to the bedroom so I'll have the good remote that I can use outside.

I don't think I'll have a problem once we get to Florida because I have a fixed dish on my lot there (if someone hasn't stolen it while I was gone).
Old 08-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #38
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmclark43 View Post
Carl-
<snip>
....The Montana is a 2013 3100RL. I downloaded the schematic for the single receiver dated 9/24/12 and am guessing mine is wired the same plus or minus. So, back to a dual antenna and 2 receivers....
</snip>
Good! A 2013 should be the same as that 2010 schematic. At least my 2012 is. The newest models are wired different and we don't have a schematic for them (yet).

I run one coax from the antenna to the Living Room Satellite Input in the Convenience Center. That is my primary receiver.

The second coax goes to the Bedroom Satellite Input also in the CC. Then in the bedroom closet is a plate with RF connectors for Cable/Antenna, Satellite In, and Satellite Out (to the basement location). Connect a coax between the Satellite In and your second receiver. That should give you satellite signal in the bedroom. Obviously there have been issues with the cabling so if it doesn't work ensure the coax connections are correct.

To get the sat signal to the basement you only have to jumper the Sat In connection and the Sat Out with a short piece of coax and move the receiver (and TV).

That is how it works for me. I believe with the portable antenna you have two outputs so you can connect in the same way. Some of the receivers seem to have a coax length restriction. I would run cables directly to each location (through a window) to ensure it all works native. Then try it using the coach cabling. The standard Dish with portable antenna caveat applies - the second receiver can only watch a channel that is on the same satellite as the primary receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
<snip>
I was happy to see the schematic in this thread. It will save me an extra receiver for the tv in my storage compartment...
</snip>

I have no idea how your 2019 is wired but I doubt it matches the available schematics. There was significant change in the more recent models (splitters and diplexers which sat systems don't like).

Old 08-16-2018, 11:04 AM   #39
wmclark43
Established Member

M.O.C. #19165
Carl-
What is your best guess that the factory installed coax that Montana used is the RG-6
If it is then the project is simplified by 'ringing out' the existing coax
I believe you mentioned a tool or device that can be used - what is it called and do you think a home improvement store would carry it or ...................?
Think you may have saved my day - thanks again
Bill
Old 08-16-2018, 11:22 AM   #40
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have RG6 in my 2012 so you should too. Both HD and Lowes have he tool for checking out cables for around $25. I don't know the exact name but it has colored RF adapters and a small display. I borrowed AZ Traveler's tool when we were at the Spring Rally and it worked slick. Here are a couple from a quick Google search.

https://www.factoryauthorizedoutlet....SABEgIkwvD_BwE
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-C...ester/50278121