Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2004, 08:05 AM   #1
justrave
Established Member

M.O.C. #2613
No heat/ac ducts in 314BHS bathroom

We recently purchased a 2005 314BHS Mountaineer and did not notice until at home that the unit did not have heat/ac ducts in the bathroom. Also the heat duct in the front bedroom has a very low air flow. My main concern is in the summer where this area probaly will get very hot. Do you know of any remedies?

justrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:27 AM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
justrave, we do not have ducts in the commode area either in our 2955.
You might take the front off the furnace area and be able to see where the ducts connect. One may be loose. This was discussed not long ago by Gruffy I believe. Try doing a search Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:31 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Many are the folk that have posted concerning their disappointment about not having air treatment in the water closet. Running the vent fan will pull a little air exchange into the room. We have not noticed a particular issue in the summer even though we live in Texas. However, winter chill is of more concern. We have already supplimented the central propane system with a couple of small electric heaters. A couple of minutes of heating in that small space warms nicely.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:09 AM   #4
Montana_2591
Established Member

M.O.C. #2591
We just bought a 2003 BHS and noticed the same slow heat from the register in the bedroom. I just bought a small 12.5amp heater. It heats up very quickly and doesn't trip the breaker with the thermostat set at half way.

Good luck
Michael & Amy
Montana_2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all, Welcome justrave to the MOC.

And welcome to the world of Montana/Mountaineer. As far as I know, none of us have a heat or ac vent in the water closet. In our rig we just leave the door ajar a couple inches when not in use.

As far as the bedroom we have 2- AC vents that are in the ceiling and do a fine job of keeping us cool.
We don't really want an accessive amount of heat in the bedroom so the low flow is fine with us.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 2001 2880RL had a heat vent in the water closet but our 3295RK does not. We leave the door open when not occupied and that seems to help some.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
justrave,
Like others have already said; most if not all the Montanas and Mountaineers do not have a duct in the bathroom. Some folks have installed them. On the 3295 it would be really easy to do since the heater and bathroom are right next to each other.

Just read an article in Trailer Life where this was discussed. The fix they were talking about was to put round vents in the bottom and top of the door. Actually an easy fix. But I do what others have done. We just leave the door open a couple of inches. This has worked great for us.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 01:16 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
our 2955 has heat in the water closet no Air.If you keep the door closed it gets way to hot.I just purchased new vent that I can close.So some of us have no heet and some to much,In my oppinion this is to small of an area to have a vent.This is why Keystone maybe made the call not to put a vent in the throne room.My idea would be a louvered door
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 02:25 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Just have to say, that builders don't put heat vents in stick built houses either. I have a half bath on the main floor of this stick built, no heat vents, no cold air returns. Go figure!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 03:25 AM   #10
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Just have to say, that builders don't put heat vents in stick built houses either. I have a half bath on the main floor of this stick built, no heat vents, no cold air returns. Go figure!
Al, must be a Michigan thing, my daughters bathroom doesn't have a vent either.

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 09:22 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The water closet door in our 3295RK is cut a couple inches above the floor, which should allow some warmer air in there. Also, there's a furnace vent below the shower, directly across from the door. None of its positions really point that air towards the w.c. door and we end up having to leave the door open, as Dennis does.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
paparonsr
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #168
I'm very happy to report that my 305FKS has both a heat vent and a/c vent in the bathroom--keeps everything even temp--but did purchase a vent cover that I could change the direction of air flow--put one on all the vents and really did help the circulation.
Merry Christmas.
paparonsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 05:26 AM   #13
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have a Mountaineer 328RLS with no ducts in the toilet area. Also the bedroom is slow to heat.
We have 2 registers in the living area. I have put a heavy book (Trailer Life Directory) over the second register and I get more heat in the bedroom. The living area still stays nice and warm.
Has anyone tried to change the register to one that closes. Looks pretty close to the size in a stick house.
Rick
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:37 AM   #14
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We have had no problems with the bathroom getting hot in the summer. We put a maxxair cover over the bathroom vent and just leave it open. We also have no problems with the heat coming out of the front register, so I agree you should make sure nothing is loose.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:28 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rick & Wanda, they are exactly the same size as the house type and several folks have replaced those vent covers with the adjustable house type. We haven't but keep saying we're going to do it one of these days. In the bedroom we keep an electric heater to supplement the furnace. Cool bedrooms seems to be the norm in every FW we've had. I guess they figure hot air rises and will heat the bedroom. At night we turn the furnace down, close the door to the upstairs area and run the electric heater upstairs. Works very well. The adjustable vents might work, too.