Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC / Great Lakes Region
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2017, 03:49 AM   #1
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Another "Almost" Montana Owner

What a great forum!

Go to see it tomorrow - if all is as it appears - I'll buy it on the spot. Have known how well the Montana is appointed for years. It's a 2008 31RLD - and although I know this is primarily a Montana 5th wheel forum - the one we're interested in is a bumper pull.

Don't get me wrong , my first RV was a 5th wheel, and if I were going to travel, that would be my preference as well. We plan to park this one, permanently on a small piece of property up north...so I figure I can adjust (hope you all can too)!

Its almost a dream come true - what I mean by that is that I've been reading some reviews that say that the Lippert frames had more problems than usual in 2008 - problems with internal welds not easily detected.

I've only seen pictures of the rig so far - and it is everything we'd hoped it would be.. and maybe more (the current owner bought it new and says he only ever pulled it to the lake in the summer to fish & camp). Everything is likely fine - but in case it isn't - is there any way to quickly ascertain a compromised frame?

Thanks in advance!

BucBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:14 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Bumper pulls are fine here. One comes to the Nebraska rally every year. Frame problems seem to be mostly with the 5th wheels. Haven't heard of one yet on a bumper pull, but maybe I haven't been paying attention.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lipperts makes many thousands of frames and yes there have been failures any product will have failures.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Yes, it's what I tell my customers: Every product/manufacturer has problems, what separates good products from bad: how quickly and thoroughly the manufacturer responds to problems.

Thank you for the updates - especially the confirmation that most of the (few) frame issues seem to be isolated to the 5th wheel models. The weight of some of the larger models, at such an odd configuration, must create tremendous frame stress - if welds were not satisfactory/per the engineering - I completely understand the issue.

Having said all that - and based on your input (and how meticulously these original owners kept this BEAUTIFUL Mountaineer)...

WE TOO (TWO?) ARE NOW OWNERS OF THE MONTANA DREAM!!!

We LOVE this RV, it's SO well thought out, so many finished details, we are SO HAPPY!

Thanks again, glad to finally be apart of the community!!
Old 04-16-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
They are good trailers and welcome to this great form.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #6
BucBuckeye
Established Member

M.O.C. #19690
Thanks everyone!