Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2006, 06:18 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, this is a first!

Driving down the road and posting to MOC! We're trying out our new aircard as we are starting our trek to Nashville to see our grandson. So far we've had an excellent signal, even in an area where our cell phone dropped calls earlier. This is going to be fun!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
very cool Judy, If I could ditch the house land line, I would be sooooo tempted to get an air card. Right now, the finances don't allow both. Keep on reporting, I, as well, as others, I am sure, are interested!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:12 AM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Judy,
You going to love having internet on the go. My dad has the same thing for his laptop and when going somewhere that is over an hour drive, I plug in and hit the MOC. Plus just think of all the routes and maps you can find while being online. You wont be getting lost ever again... =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:17 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think it will be great for looking up campgrounds or shopping centers or any other important info that you might need in an upcoming area. It's working great.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy, are you going to use web sites to locate grocery stores, for example???
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:32 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Or the nearest Fuddrucker's!!!

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:49 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
First the Fuddruckers, then the grocery store!
Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Judy, I have not been able to find a KR1 for under $299. I will be using an Alltel card, not Verizon. I know someone sells them for less than that. I will keep looking will I wait for input here.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Judy, Ain't it great. We used our aircard on the road in Delaware as we were having difficulty finding a campground that didn't cost an arm and a leg. We finally ended up in a SP but even that was 25 bucks a night.

Haven't invested in the router yet as I am still waiting for more info on the KR1 & PC5740 Slowdown issue. I keep checking the EVDO forums for an update but nothing yet.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:16 PM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Dave, Booster-Antenna.com has the router for $279. We got a rebate and I thought it was extended until May 15th. Check it out. It may have been for $50.00. If you have any questions, write to the company. They usually answer within an hour. Support has been great.

Glenn, I hope that you get some good news on the compatibility of your card with the KR1 soon. It provides us with a great WiFi setup. I can certainly see the advantage of traveling with this internet access. Have you considered purchasing a new card? There are/were rebates for some of the good ones.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:33 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jrgwdenner

Driving down the road and posting to MOC! We're trying out our new aircard as we are starting our trek to Nashville to see our grandson. So far we've had an excellent signal, even in an area where our cell phone dropped calls earlier. This is going to be fun!
Ya know, Judy, there's a name for that. "Addiction."
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Yup, Steve, addicted to fun! The system continues to work quite nicely, both at home and on the road. Can't wait to try in more placed down the road.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well I ordered the Kyocera KR1 Mobile EVDO WiFi Router. They finally got the problem between the KR1 and the PC5740 working and I wasted no time ordering.
Right now we don't need the router as we are both working off a WiFi from somewhere in the park but as soon as we leave here and as long as we have a Verizon signal Lorraine and I will be able to be online at the same time.

BTW-Not sure how far the signal travels but anyone parked next to me should also be able to use my router.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:33 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glenn, it worked for us at the Keystone factory campsite with the Reigles. Should work fine at the rally for your neighbors. Did you get a booster antenna?
Old 07-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I guess? It has an antenna on it.

Here's a pic from the web site.

Old 07-22-2006, 03:04 AM   #16
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Well, I guess I meant an antenna for your aircard. What we have is an antenna that goes into the aircard which goes into the router, so it seems like it comes from the router. I've never tried it without the booster antenna so I don't know how much it effects our signal.
Old 07-22-2006, 08:33 AM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
That is one of the problems with the PC5740. Although it seems to work great it has no external antenna. When we bought this card we were not told that a card with an external antenna was available. Had the salesman told me about the external antenna I surely would have gotten that card. I have since found out that he was pushing the cheaper card and was not informing anyone about the better cards. Our Verizon contract on this card expires next July at which time I will stay with Verizon and just upgrade the card to the one with the external antenna.