Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Book Exchange

When we met with Steve and Vicki last month, Vicki mentioned that some of the RV parks they frequented had places where people could drop off used books and pick up others. As an English teacher, as well as someone who has always attempted to find reading time when camping as it is relaxing and enjoyable, it had a certain appeal to me, and I have been thinking ever since that MOC needs something like that. Perhaps the Powers that Be will institute a new area for that at some time in the future, but until then I thought that anyone who would like to play along when they read a good new book could post here.

With that in mind…

It’s Not about the Bike by Lance Armstrong • The story of Armstrong’s diagnosis and battle with testicular cancer and his comeback that led to his first Tour de France victory.
A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson • Relates how two unlikely hikers make an effort to hike the Appalachian Trail.
The Valley of Light by Terry Kay • By a—for me—local author who lives in Athens, Georgia. A simple man with a true “gift” for fishing manages to touch, and be touched by, the inhabitants of a small town in northern Georgia. Kay is a true Southern treasure! I have talked to him on several occasions, and he is a truly engaging personality who understands his roots. www.terrykay.com
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver • A wonderful tale of a southern missionary family from Bethlehem, Georgia and their adventures learning about life from African natives. I teach this novel to my senior Advanced Placement students and it has been enjoyed by all, which says something considering that students typically find something to hate about novels they are assigned to read.

If you give these, or any other works a try, happy reading!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 05:58 PM   #2
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953

BACK IN ACTION By David Rozelle; This is about a Captain who was stationed in Iraq and had his foot blown off by a land mind. He returns home for recovery and insists on becoming whole again so that he can go back to Iraq to lead his men that he left there. This is a true story and an incredible testimony about his courage in the line of adversity. The drive to be the same man he was before the accident and how he overcomes depression, alcohol and pain pills. Very good for the soul and if we think we are in pain, just read this story.
Kathi
Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 AM   #3
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
On a related topic, have you heard about www.bookcrossing.com? It's sort of a treasure hunt for books as well as a place to pass on books you are finished with. Basically, you register, tag your book with a label and number and leave it somewhere where people will find it. Every so often, a finder will report where they found the book and where they will leave it. One of the books I left in Montreal was last seen in Kingston, Ont. and was on it's way to London UK. You can also search for books by title or by location.
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:32 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Wow, thats neat. I have so many books that I would love to do that with. My Mom has a ton also. We really like to read Non Fiction. I guess because you connect with reality. There is also another one that really hit home for me and that was Oleander. Its about a foster girl that was sent from home to home after her mother murdered her boyfriend. It takes place right here in S. Cal. and I knew all the areas. I guess that is why I liked it. Cuz I could see in my mind the places that she was talking about. Kathi
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:15 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Love the idea of bookcrossing! We are WAY oversubscribed in the book department and this could be a great way to share some good reads and have fun doing it.

We recommend Bill Bryson's other books as well. Perceptive and amusing.

Latest favorite read is THE LOBSTER COAST by Colin Woodard, a fascinating portrait of the Maine coast and its forgotten history. "...coastal Mainers have defended an earlier version of the American dream, an egalitarian republic of small producers, where government is local, the people are independent, and respect and social standing are earned not inherited."
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:29 AM   #6
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Fabulous idea, J.D. We're going to have to call you the Oprah of MOC!!! I just finished digging out two of the last books I've read ... having spent two months in Tybee Island/Savannah, "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" by John Berendt, was a must read. This can only be called a non-fiction novel dealing with a real person and his trial for murder. I loved this book, especially since I recognized most, if not all, of the locations mentioned in the story.

Staying with the theme, "Savannah Blues" by Mary Kay Andrews is a 'Witty, wisecracking tale of divorce, revenge and great antiques, set in sultry Savannah.' This was a fun, light read ... funny and romantic.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:51 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by snowbunny

On a related topic, have you heard about www.bookcrossing.com? It's sort of a treasure hunt for books as well as a place to pass on books you are finished with. Basically, you register, tag your book with a label and number and leave it somewhere where people will find it. Every so often, a finder will report where they found the book and where they will leave it. One of the books I left in Montreal was last seen in Kingston, Ont. and was on it's way to London UK. You can also search for books by title or by location.
Snowbunny, I see the bookcrossing site is run by Ron Hornbaker. My grandmother's maiden name was Hornbaker. Can't be that many of that name around. This guy lives near Kansas City, which is in the same part of the country my grandparents lived in (near Hutchinson, KS). I cannot locate an email address for Mr. Hornbaker. Do you have an email address for him? If you have but prefer not to give it out, I could send you info to pass on to him. If you'd rather not do that, that's ok, too. Thanks.

Vicki and I are both avid readers. We both prefer books over 400 pages or so. I'm really into historical fiction, with emphasis on "historical" and the fiction part being how the story is related. I also like a good series of books, such as Tom Clancy's books (his, not his sometimes co-authors), WEB Griffin, H. Jay Riker, David Baldacci, Nelson DeMille, and also books by John Grisham, some of Dan Brown's books (Intensity was outstanding and Demons and Angels was pretty good, also), and, gee, many others. Also am in about the middle of a series of 16 books by Terry C. Johnston, a series of historical novels about the Indian Wars. We've visited several of the places in this series and that makes them even more interesting. I will have to sit down and try to detail some of these before long. Most will be difficult as my memory is not as good as it once was.

I recently finished WEB Griffin's "Retreat Hell!", the latest in his "The Corps" series, and now am 75% through Grisham's "The Last Juror".
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 03:52 PM   #8
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Steve--if you enjoy historical ficiton about countries other than the U.S., you would probably like Edward Ruthefurd's books SARUM (about the Salisbury Cathedral area) and LONDON. They are fictionalized accounts of different families histories over 100 centuries of the development of the UK. Each family's "contribution" to important moments in British history makes for interesting reading--and when you have read both books, you will have finished a short history of England. Suggest that these be read in the paperback versions--with about 1300 pages each, they satisfy your preference for 400+ pages. But if you fall asleep with the hardback version on your chest it might crush you. SARUM was especially interesting to us as Salisbury was our "home cathedral" when we lived in the UK.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 04:01 PM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Steve, The Poisonwood Bible qualifies as historical fiction as well, set in the Congo’s fight for independence from Belgium in the late 1950s.

Was also wondering if you have read Charles Frazier’s Cold Mountain.
Old 05-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
This is a great idea, JD. I struggle with mild dislexia and am a very slow reader. I have worked to increase speed but to little avail. It is a miracle that I finished two masters degrees in fields that require so much reading, i.e., Theology and Psychology. My reading has never been for pleasure, but for necessary growth in the chosen fields.

Fortunately, I am married to a book hound. Occasionally, she prods me into entertainment reading and I do enjoy it. As long as it is not a tome.

All this to say that I am sure that she will find a topic such as this most helpful. She particularly enjoys historical novels surrounding the English Middle Ages and forward to the Renaissance Period. She doesn't like anything that I might catagorize as voyeuristic literature.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 03:22 AM   #11
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
J.D., I'm presently reading 'Cold Mountain' and thoroughly enjoying it. Steve wants to read it when I'm finished.

Stiles, Have you ever considered audio books? The last time we were in Barnes & Noble I noticed that the audio books section is getting quite large. I believe you can also pick up used audio books on Amazon.com. That way you could enjoy the story without the work of reading it!
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 04:16 AM   #12
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
I too enjoy reading for relaxation. I have read "Cold Mountain" last fall and found it to be a good, descriptive story.

Recently finished "Memoiors of a Geisha" by Arthur Golden. Provides good insight into a young women's life as a Geisha in old world Japan.

And like millions of other readers have read Dan Brown's books, "Angels and Demons" and "The DiVinci Code" - both excellent, must reads.

If I have really enjoyed a particular book I pass it along to my children who are avid readers. All others I donate to our local library for their annual book sale.

vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yes, Vicki, we use them extensively for our travels. Have "read" all of Cussler's books, some of Tom Clancy's work and a fellow (whose name I can't recall at the moment) who writes mysteries in an Arizona/Navaho setting. We have also heard most of John Grishams novels and add to that some of Louis Lamour's westerns. Nicolus Sparks' works have been an interesting read. Others that slip my mind have also been consumed.

I call the car/truck my CD university or CD library. My exposure to entertainment reading is mostly through the audio route while traveling. We sometimes stop off at Cracker Barrel and grab something that looks interesting. Grishams, The Testament, unabridged, kept me entertained all the way to North Carolina and back.

Since the purpose is to keep the driver awake, audio technical or business books don't lend themselves to travel.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 06:06 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hang my head in shame, after all the research, I only read trash novels, short ones preferred, no plot required! I get them free if possible, several of my friends feed my habit, I leave them in campgrounds everywhere, in the libraries or in the laundry rooms, pick up new ones that way too.

My hats off to all you who really read the good stuff! Congrats!

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 09:36 AM   #15
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Carol - No need to hang your head in shame!!! Nothing wrong with a "trash" novel - I have read a few in my day as well. However, they have to be reallllly gooood trash to hold my interest. Advantage -- you don't have to think, no complexity to story line, minimal characters with exciting names like Brock, Buck, Chance, Garret, Hawk, Slade -- just veg out readin' about nothin'
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2005, 10:37 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Vic

You understand! By the time I get around to reading, I want to read something that requires very little brain power, maybe brain numbing! HA! And Chance and Garret, Slade and Hawk, well, they be good names! Sometimes I find one that is centered around someplace I am familiar with, it always amazes me that even the trash novel will describe the area with some accuracy! Ah, books are a wonderful thing!

Carol
Old 05-19-2005, 10:44 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Absolutely, nothing wrong with a good trash novel! In my Advanced Placement Literature class, the students have to complete monthly independent readings, but for December, I give them the opportunity to read a “trash” novel. Last year, they picked some interesting ones, such as Mitch Albom’s Tuesdays with Morrie and Zell Miller’s A National Party No More.

Though I deal with classics like Heart of Darkness and As I Lay Dying on a daily basis, I still love a “simpler” read, such as some of the fantasy novels that are out there. I have harbored a tender spot for them since reading The Hobbit when I was in middle school! During that same time, I devoured the Bantam reprints of the Doc Savage pulps from the 30s and 40s. I question whether I would even be an English teacher if not for books like these that taught me to love reading!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:08 AM   #18
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Wordsmith,

Even "Tuesday's With Morie" is a HUGE step above what I am readin! HA HA. I hate to think what they might be called in educated circles! I have a son that reads the classics, lots of Stephen King, and many many works, that if I were to read one paragraph I would slip into a comma! HA HA Nope, I am way down in the gutter! Have not even read the "Hobbit". Goodness, I don't even know what to say! HA HA HA

Carol
Old 05-19-2005, 02:44 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, thanks for all the book suggestions. More to add to my list that I check whenever we're in a bookstore. Most are in hardback and I'm waiting for the paperback. Not just cost, but storage space!

A book over 1000 pages is a real treat to me. So much detail that really gets you involved in the story. Vicki and the kids bought me the Kent Family Chronicles when it first came out in paperback, what, 20 years ago? I have read that 5000 (7000?) page series three times and wouldn't mind reading it again some day. And I normally do NOT like re-reading a book I've already read (or a movie I've already seen - unless Meg Ryan is in it).

Yes, I like historical novels about other countries. What was the one about Africa that was such a good book? The Covenant? Michener? I've read several of his. Mexico. Several others.

Another I really liked was Centennial. I could go on and on if my memory would allow it.

We saw Cold Mountain. Vicki has the DVD. When she finishes the book, then it's my turn.

Oh, Michael and Jeff Shaara's books. Excellent. I really enjoy historical novels about the Civil War. Gettysburg. Gods and Generals. Etc.

I probably have 15 books up on the shelf in above the coat closet that are on my 'to read' list. Vic, I have not yet read 'The DaVinci Code' but that's one I want to read, too.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 06:58 PM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Steve,
Knew I liked you. I am a Michener nut. I have every book he has written except for a few Japanese art books. He is the ultimate of historical fiction because he spent so much time on research. I have read Hawaii several times and The Source about 10. We also use the books on tape or CD. Like mysteries as it keeps your interest. We've even driven around the block a couple to times to finish a "book". Michener's Poland was difficult reading until I listen to the tape and then read the book again.
Stiles - have you ever tried a speed reading class? When I took mine, there were several people in the class with "reading problems". They never did get up to the "speed" but did improve on what they were able to do before.
I also love Sholem Aleichem's writings.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote