Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
Dish Network Tailgater problems

After owning a tailgater for just over two years and having considerable trouble to include Dish replacing it at one month of usage we have contacted King Controls who makes the tailgater and are very disappointed in their customer support. We were told by Dish RV technicians for the last two years that we were not providing a clear look at the SW sky thus could not expect much out of our unit. Recently while in Lake City, Co. our tailgater was two feet from our neighbor who was getting great results. We swapped R6 cables on the back and immediately they had reduced channels and I had great reception. I called Dish RV tech support and they told me to contact the manufacture King Controls. Spoke with them and informed them of the pitiful performance since this unit was new plus what we experienced in Lake City and all they would offer was to sell me a refurbished unit for $250 or a new on at $350. To repair mine was going to cost me $100 shipping plus $89 labor plus parts which would be about the price of a new one. Not really asking advice just a warning to those considering purchase of a tailgater that the manufacture is certainly not CUSTOMER concerned. They did have me run many tests and confirmed there was a problem but did not offer any help in repairs.

bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #2
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Just one more reason I stick with my Dish 1000.4 with East and West LNBs and a good surveyor's tripod.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
That's to bad ,I have had great customer service from Dish and my Tailgater works great After I switched out the cheap 50 ft coax and went with a shorter 25ft quality RG6 coax per Dish's customer service advice and I have used it all over the West and it works without fail
Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Like Jimmy, mine has worked great. Hate to hear they will not be much help if I do have a problem.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
Mine works just fine even after dropping it off my slide out. No problems, been using it for two years.
grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I had all kinds of problems. Finally replaced it with a Winegard Carryout and it has worked perfectly.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #7
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I cannot agree with the author, our Tailgator is working fine, had it for three years now, would NEVER go back to the old fashioned dish, since most people have no trouble could it be a problem with your set up?
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
Read my post again. We had TWO tailgaters side by side. One was performing great and mine was performing poorly. We swapped cables on the back of these two tailgaters and my TV got great reception and my camping neighbor now had the poor reception. Don't know how that could be a problem with my set up. Is there something in the setup I need to know? Currently we just point it south with unobstructed views and tighten both ends of the R6 cable.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RKassl

I cannot agree with the author, our Tailgator is working fine, had it for three years now, would NEVER go back to the old fashioned dish, since most people have no trouble could it be a problem with your set up?
Old 09-11-2014, 05:50 AM   #9
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, it sounds like you just need to purchase a quality cable. I have one cable that is junk and another that works well. Guess where the junk one ended up. The good one made all the difference between good and very poor reception.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #10
bandit
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #12000
When I say we swapped cables on the back I only unscrewed my cable from my tailgater and screwed it into the back of my neighbors tailgater and my reception was fantastic. He did the same and his TV reception was then coming from my tailgater and it was pitiful.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GreatWhite

Unless I'm misunderstanding your post, it sounds like you just need to purchase a quality cable. I have one cable that is junk and another that works well. Guess where the junk one ended up. The good one made all the difference between good and very poor reception.