Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2004, 04:37 AM   #1
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Columbia Gorge

Does anyone know of a nice RV Park on either the Oregon or Washington side that will handle a 36' 5er? The name of the park or the web site address will be very helpful. Thank you.

2002 Chev.2500HD D/A 4x4 Ext. Cab. LB, Air bags, 2004 Montana 3670, Reece 16K, Garmin Street Pilot 2610 (so I can find my way home), Cockapoo (Lexie)

DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
DHenry, don't miss Mt. St. Helens. Go to the north entrance. I think it's exit 49 on I-5. Go to the Johnston visitor center. This is truly worth seeing. Amazing place. Allow several hours for the drive and visit, including all the stops for pictures. From Johnston you see right into the crater where it blew.

Timberline Lodge up on Mt. Hood. Beautiful and a great drive.

Stop at a visitor center like the small one in the small town of Troutdale. It's on the main drag, the highway east-west through town, south side of the street. They'll give you tour guide maps to take the Historic Columbia River Gorge Highway. There are several waterfalls (Multnomah Falls is a don't miss). There are several scenic pullovers you don't want to miss, including the Vista House. A lady in there pointed out to us one of the campsites of Lewis and Clark, just below the bluff. Gorgeous area. Also, Bonneville Dam. Go inside the visitor center and watch the fish in the fish ladder. Visit the fish hatchery on the same grounds and look at the underwater viewport to see the sturgeon. Herman the Sturgeon is about 10 feet long and we were told 1200 lbs although that sounds high to me.

End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center in Oregon City, south side of Portland. Excellent program and displays. Ask to be directed to the plaque designating the official end of the Oregon Trail. Here in Independence, MO, we're a few blocks from a plaque designating the beginning of the trail.

Ft. Vancouver, historical site, in Vancouver.

I'm sure there are more but have exhausted my memory for the moment.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 04:25 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Steve, thanks for the information. We will surely check out the sites you have mentioned.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:13 AM   #4
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Hey DHenry,
What dates will you be in the Gorge area? We are planning a trip there as well and will be in the area July 1-11. Would love to talk you about race car driving.
And thank sreigle for all the hints about what to see in the area. Mind if we use your hints too? We love it when someone has been there or lives there and can tell us what to see and where to go in these places we visit.
All this--thanks to MOC!
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Shoot, you can all use them if you want. Or not, as you please.

If you want to see some pictures and narrative about some of these places, I just a few minutes ago got Vicki's postcards about the area onto the website. To get to these, click on the link below about our rv travels, click on 2004 postcards, then scroll down to May 22.

I still have 3 of her postcards to reformat and post to the website and she's working on several more. I got us to St. Regis, MT, but that was a couple thousand miles back. We still have Custer Battlefield, Black Hills, and some more to work on as I have time. How on earth did I ever have time for a job???
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 05:51 PM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
#29 fans, we will be in the gorge area from June 28 to July 2. We will be in Vancouver RV Park-Westside. If you are in the area look for the 3670 with the MOC club decal on the front and the back.
Old 06-18-2004, 06:53 AM   #7
Montana_1520
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1520
Hi Dhenry,
Looks like we will not be able to cross campsites this trip. We will be staying at the Western Horizons Columbia River Gorge Resort. Never been there and don't know exactly where it is yet. We will be there July 1-11. Maybe next time or we may pass you on the road. We'll have a 4door Chevy 1 ton and a Big Sky behind all with #29 stickers on them.
#29 fans
04 3670RL Big Sky
04 Chevy 3500 CC Dually 4WD Duramax/Allison
Montana_1520 is offline   Reply With Quote