Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #21
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Hi Ozz
How are you?
How can I get Don to watch cooking shows? He can hardly boil water!
He cooked for me while I had virus and was down for 3 weeks. Sure glad I got well enough to cook. Got tired of chicken noodle soup. He does know how to cook that. 3 times a day! :@
Poor guy he does the best he can and gets an A for trying. But wish I could interest him in cooking.

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #22
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dustytuu

Hi Ozz
How are you?
How can I get Don to watch cooking shows? He can hardly boil water!
He cooked for me while I had virus and was down for 3 weeks. Sure glad I got well enough to cook. Got tired of chicken noodle soup. He does know how to cook that. 3 times a day! :@
Poor guy he does the best he can and gets an A for trying. But wish I could interest him in cooking.
Hello my dear, so good to hear from you. I hope you two are enjoying life. Glad you are recovered, chicken soup is good for the soul.
Hey, if a guy isn't interested in cooking, he is still an OK person, you shouldn't be such a good cook!
Jim Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:53 AM   #23
paperheart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7541
Ozz, loved this thread!
I had surgery in Jan. and was of course confined to bed and tv shows. I have spent so much money sending DH out for the latest recipe that I watched on food network. It is uncanny how many of them DON'T look like the tv chef's when you're finished. But, I have learned lots of new stuff and we've had lots of great meals right from the show and internet. Did you watch the Worst Cooks series? It was great and very educational. Those people were horrible and they turned some of them into great chefs. The Barefoot Contessa is my fave now, she used to be a White House Chef. I love Paula Deen but that food will kill ya!
Hope to find you out there grillin' in some near future rally, Janie
paperheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:05 AM   #24
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We enjoyed the 'Worst cooks' series, I even learned from it. We also like Gordon's 'Kitchen Nightmare' series.
Janie, I think my health indicators take a dip every episode of Paula Dean... But it looks yummy.
It's all good...who doesn't like good food! I hope to meet you guys as well.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 05:30 AM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
OK, y'all got my attention talking about eating. You mention "rue". I googled rue, and it doesn't define it as something to eat. Would you be talking about what we in Louisiana knew as "roux"?

Oh, and man I love to watch Andrew Zimmerman! That sucker will eat anything. I'd always wanted to fry up some Mullet gizzards until I saw him eat one. He didn't rank it very high, to say the least. They look just like a chicken gizzard, and I love them. Mullet are the only fish with a gizzard.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:00 AM   #26
Wild Horse
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10026
yes, roux, pronounced roo or rue. Down in your parts, I believe they like the dark stuff, used in jambalaya ? Most people would be accustomed to the lighter stuff...they'd melt butter, then add flour and then cook it for a little bit. If I remember correctly, the french used to mix the fat (butter,bacon grease,etc) with the flour then bake it for awhile, getting the darker roux. Roux must cook...french pre-cooked it but many others cooked it right as they made it and also it continued cooking when mixed into the sauce.

Depending on the sauce/glaze, I also use corn starch or st.vincent's arrowroot.

I think roux means brown-red, or something like that.

Forgot to add...You can also make vegetarian roux, and no calorie roux as well.

Wild Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 07:27 AM   #27
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wild Horse

yes, roux, pronounced roo or rue. Down in your parts, I believe they like the dark stuff, used in jambalaya ? Most people would be accustomed to the lighter stuff...they'd melt butter, then add flour and then cook it for a little bit. If I remember correctly, the french used to mix the fat (butter,bacon grease,etc) with the flour then bake it for awhile, getting the darker roux. Roux must cook...french pre-cooked it but many others cooked it right as they made it and also it continued cooking when mixed into the sauce.

Depending on the sauce/glaze, I also use corn starch or st.vincent's arrowroot.

I think roux means brown-red, or something like that.

Forgot to add...You can also make vegetarian roux, and no calorie roux as well.

I felt that was what you were referring to. We have gumbo every Christmas, and I have started making the roux for DW. We despise scorched roux, so it is a long tedious job. Stirring, stirring, and stirring some more. As dark as you can get it without burning. I have friends that use Kitchen Bouquet Browning & Seasoning Sauce, but we never use it. I've made it in the oven, and it doesn't require the attention it does in the cast iron dutch oven. Just something about the big cast iron on the fryer outside, plus the oven in the Mountaineer is not very big.

I must say, one of the most nervous times in my life was when I cooked fajitas for my son and daughter-in-law and their friends. We were making conversation over the meal when I asked the guy what he did. "I teach culinary arts". I almost lost my meal. It turned out good though.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote