Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #1
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
New Washer/Dryer Draining into Black Tank

We are looking into putting a Washer/Dryer into our 2009 Monty (3665RE)

I have read the discussion before about where the washer lines drains into. Some the Grey, A very few where into the Black tank.

Ours does drain into the Grey tank. Because we do a lot of rustic camping and our grey tank capacity is needed for showers etc... I want to re-plume the washer drain into the black tank as we have never come close to filling it with just the 2 of us in the trailer.

Am I cazy ?, I know what my DW would say, but that's another story. What do you think ?

Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I suggest you consider putting a master valve where the dump hose connects. That way you can close it and open both gray tanks and use their combined volume.
I do not recommend dumping into a Black tank. A gray tank overflow is bad and Black tank overflow is a $&^# mess that I really do not want to clean up AGAIN. Left the flush hose on. oops.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
ehmcfarl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8206
Don't mean to hijack this thread; but Wschep, just where is that snowy road picture taken. It takes real nerve to tow a Monty on a road like that.
ehmcfarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
If at all possible, bypass all the holding tanks and plumb directly into the line going out of the trailer. That is the way my 3400 was plumbed. DW always asked me if it was okay to wash. The only thing I had to do was make sure the sewer hose was connected. Nothing else had to be opened. If you need to wash when you are dry camping, then you would need to use the grey holding tank. But I'd still plumb to the outlet and go to town to wash clothes.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
Another method would be to get one of those slide valves that twist on where your cap goes and you can open any tank you want to drain the washer into. Also lets you share your tanks when you boondock. They sell them at Camping World or other RV parts places.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 04:11 PM   #6
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ehmcfarl

Don't mean to hijack this thread; but Wschep, just where is that snowy road picture taken. It takes real nerve to tow a Monty on a road like that.
The picture was taken at Deep Lake Rustic campground in Yankee Springs Michigan. Driving in snow can be interesting. I just take it slow and be sure I am checking my braking distance well in advance of a stop.

I decided to leave the washer draining into the grey tank. I did however remove the check valve in the shower drain and replace it with a P trap. This allows any over flow from the grey tank to back fill into the shower/tub as a precaution. Otherwise it can back flow out of the vent in the washer closet, turning the bedroom into a hot tub.
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote