Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-14-2005, 02:48 PM   #1
Dick n Marie
Established Member

M.O.C. #58
Artic Package?

When I ordered my Montana I got the Artic Package. I noticed when doing some work on it last weekend that one of the doors on the propane compartments is about 3/4" thick (insulated door) the other doors are only a single thickness of fiberglass. I didn't notice this on the walk through so its to late now. Has any one else noticed this if they have the Artic Package?

Dick n Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
All of our compartment doors are about 3/4" thick, except for the doors to the outside shower, water connection, and sewer hose compartment.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 07:13 AM   #3
Montana_4765
Established Member

M.O.C. #4765
My rig has the label that says I have the artic package, but you are right, both propane doors on mind are fiberglass thin. Interesting question for my dealer.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Montana_4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 03:27 PM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I'd have to look to see.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:17 AM   #5
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Don't know why there would be insulation on the propane doors. The bottom of each propane compartment is open to allow any leaked gas to escape.

The arctic package has been discussed before. Normally it includes some extra bubble wrap (about 1/4" thick) in the under belly cover. The heat tape on the belly water pipes that you can tell by the loose 110 plug hanging down near the step area. And I believe the valve and hose to add the antifreeze to the system. I don't think it includes any extra insulation anywhere else. Actually the term "Arctic Package" is somewhat misleading. If you check the cost for the option it is not much, around $200 as I recall.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:08 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On our factory tour Oct 4th of this year we asked 'What is the artic package" they pointed out a layer of insulation in the under belly and extra insulation in the roof area.. Did not say there was anything done to the water pipes anywhere. They said that the insulation in the under belly would prevent water pipe freezing to very low temps,,,(i really believe that??)We will get the package for the extra insulation in the roof and under belly to better keep the heat down on in the summer time..Artic package my foot...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Farmer Don

What is this, the heat tape on the pipes? I don't think I have this. Do I have to remove the bottom insulation to find this?

Thanks for your input
Old 10-18-2005, 02:47 AM   #8
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
If you have the Arctic Package you should have a short extension cord with a 110 plug hanging about 8 to 10 " from the belly. Mine is behind the steps and back toward the axle.

I wouldn't open the belly until you know where to look on your model for it. It is a pain to open up the belly and hard to see much without opening a pretty good section. Someone with a 2003 3255RL should be able to tell us where to look for the plug.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
drhowell (Farmer Don) your mention of the heat tape is the first I've heard of that being part of the Arctic Package. Did you buy your unit new.....and this heat tape (plug) came from the factory? My understanding of the Arctic package is it's only the foil like blanket in the under belly which is suppose the radiate the heat back into the belly. If you purchase your unit used the previous owner may have installed the heat tape?
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The arctic package , is as I and Steves describe.I saw it up close on the factory tour.They need to stop calling it the "arctic package" the term is very miss-leading It is nothing of the sort.It is more useful to keep the heat off the roof and maybe warm the floor a little.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:47 AM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
I bought the unit used but it was originally sold in Colorado. I was told the heat wrap was part of the Arctic package. Perhaps others with a 2001 3280RL with Arctic Package can help confirm.

Rich has the most current factory information and I would yield to him for the latest factory packages.

I was not aware of the extra roof insulation. Thanks for that info. Do all units have the extra valve and hose to add antifreeze or is that specific to the A.P. package?

I agree with Rich, the Arctic Package is very misleading. I can see where the added foil in the belly can help to keep radiated heat near the plumbing and the roof insulation might help. But it is not arctic protection.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:07 AM   #12
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
I'll double check our 3280, but I don't think we got the heat tape either. And this too is a Colorado unit.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 07:34 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Note on the Arctic package...Roof R-14 when equipped with the arctic insulation package..Floor R-21 When equipped with the arctic insulation package..From Helen's Factory notes, Oct 4Th 2005. No mention of tape wrapped pipes and we asked....The reflective insulation material in the underbelly is SUPPOSED to reflect the heat thereby keeping them from freezing and since it is a arctic package I assume that would work in the Arctic?????? Oh yeaaaaa.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:37 AM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
"Arctic" is overstating the benefit, but it is still a useful option. Heat rises, so you don't need a lot of insulation to keep the heat in, but you do need to keep the drafts out the belly if the insulation is going to be effective. That, in my opinion is the big weakness with the Arctic Package insulation as installed. There are openings between screws and around fittings that allow a cold wind to totally defeat the insulation value of the reflective bubble wrap. When I get one of theose "round tuit" things, I'll try to seal up the bottom better. Maybe wood strips to support the belly cover between screws and a generous amount of duct tape at other openings. Spray foam would also help, but I want to keep the belly panels easily removable for possible service.

I am unaware of any factory installed heat strips, but there is a small duct that directs heat from the furnace into the belly. If you know that you are going to be in cold conditions, maybe installing some sort of electic heater in the belly would be useful. I understand that recent Montanas have the water pipes routed above the floor insulation to keep them from freezing in moderate cold.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 12:43 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Re ontmont statements..Yes we did note that the water pipes are routed above the floor insulation..that may help a bit.We also noted that the arctic reflective insulation is just laying on top of the under belly. We saw the installation before the floor was installed and after the flooring was installed( which is the very next station) It is in no way air tight, plenty of places for cold air to enter as ontmont observes. We will get the package. My concern was that folks may think because of the name, Arctic package, that they will be safe from freezing in sub freezing temps...Check out your owners manual and see what it says about the limits of the arctic package.We were told it is stated in the manual.Helen and I do not plan to be ANYWHERE in a camper where it may freeze..
Old 10-19-2005, 01:50 PM   #16
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Rich
I noticed my Montana has two 4" vents in the roof that appear to just vent the Attic area to keep the condensation down. I think I saw something about it in the Montana literature?
Old 10-19-2005, 02:54 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes but the 4 inch vents are not part of the arctic package.Don't get me wrong the artic package is worth the money and does "help" in preventing freezing of the water pipes under moderate temp conditions..I think the extra insulation in the roof does more to keep the inside cooler in the summer.Someone like Steve S. can tell us how he keeps pipes from freezing in the winter..
Old 10-20-2005, 02:54 AM   #18
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
My trip home from Texas last year in March I scheduled a stop in Indiana to have some warranty repairs completed. The night I arrived the temp went down to 9 degrees and I did have all my front water lines freeze (toilet, shower/tub). I do believe the 06 models have the water lines run up higher in the coach and perhaps better insulated. I have put pipe insulation around all the water lines in my basement and have started dropping the underbelly and adding additional insulation in the belly as well as putting pipe insulation on all the water lines that are run in the belly of the coach.

Additionally, I am replacing my low pint drain lines with (house type) cold weather shut off valves so water will never be in the lines that are exposed to the weather. I also purchase another ceramic heater that I will place in basement and use on low setting to supplement heat in this area. The heater will be plugged into a power cord that is separate from the RV power supply thus avoiding any breaker issues.

There is a string of post on this subject that can provide info on what those who actually stay in colder climates do to keep from freezing up. My use of the RV in cold weather is a transient use as I get south or as I'm coming home and the temperature drops below freezing.

I did ask the Keystone Customer Service what the temperature the coaches are designed for and they replied down to 27 degrees. Our Montana's are not engineered and designed for year round use in cold climates.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #19
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
Artic Package, right. Checked with the service people at our dealers on the water line wrapping and the heat cord. They have never seen a cord and wrappings installed in the coaches that come from the factory. All they said was "interesting". That is not to say that it couldn't happen. If it works , use it.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 10:01 AM   #20
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Haven't need to use it yet. But I will check it out just to make sure it is what I was told it is. Thanks for the feedback.