Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
Wessmiller

M.O.C. #4754
Winterizing

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to (1) turn off the bypass to the hot water heater and (2) remove the annode from the hot water heater? There are two hoses in the upper right corner of the outside storage compartment to the left of the water heater that I think might be the bypass. We are new at this business and do not find enough detailed information in the use manual. We own a 2006 32 foot Montana. Thanks! Ray and Debby

Wessmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
When you get ready to winterize your unit make sure water heater is off gas and all, there is plug outside of heater takes an 13/16 socket remove that plug and pop the relief value above it so it can drain. While it's draining remove the caps off all low point drains and let them drain completely, should be three of them, one for fresh water, other one for cold water the other for hot water that runs throughout the unit. Once all water is drained out put caps back on everything leave plug out of heater. Go under your galley sink or where ever you water heater is and turn the water heater by-pass value so not to waste RV antifreeze. then use the hose that is there that nothing is connected to one end put that into gallon jug of RV antifreeze will take about 2 gallons, then turn on your 12 volt pump let it pump into water lines. Turn on each faucet separately let it run until pink RV antifreeze comes out then turn it off. Do this to each faucet hot and cold side, run the toilet few seconds, then go to outside shower and do the same, this will run antifreeze through your entire system, after you are done with that you should see pink in low point drains. Before you remove the jug open the heater by pass let little bit RV antifreeze go into hot water tanks itself, your done with this part. I then take what's left of second jug and pour little bit into each drain of each sink, shower and toilet. Your done ready for winter.

Winterizing:

1. Open the two low point drains plus the fresh water drain and let all water drain out.
2. Remove the anode rod and let the hot water tank drain. I leave mine open for the winter.
If you have the winterizing option:
3. Turn valve to bypass water heater.
4. You can now blow out the lines keeping the low point drains open. - this not necessary if you plan on adding antifreeze.
5. Close low point drain and fresh water drain valves
6. Turn on winterizing valve and put suction line into the antifreeze container.
7. Turn on 12 volt water pump.
8. Open each water line until antifreeze is running out of faucet(hot and cold)lines for kitchen sink, bathroom sink,
bath tub plus the shower line, outside shower lines and the toilet too.
9. Pour antifreeze into the traps and holding tanks for the fresh water, galley, gray and black water tanks.

I usually use 3 - 4 gallons of antifreeze.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I have found a full proof method of winterizing that is guaranteed not to have you freezing up.

Step one...Hook the 2006 32 foot Montana to your TV.

Step two...Turn that rig toward the south.

Step three...Drive south til it don't get below freezing.

Step four...ENJOY!!!!

Works for me!!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I'm glad someone brought up this topic. As I posted before we are picking up our 2955 on Thursday and live in Colorado, but we're not yet retired. One of the reasons we love the Montana is the "year-round" nature of it, versus our older lower end Dutchmen. We know we can't use it all winter, but around here there are beautiful days year round and so we are planning on using our new Monty a great deal more.

My question is this, if we use it in the fall months, would you think we need to winterize in-betweeen usages. I know it's not that difficult but I don't want to keep buying anti-freeze either. Does anyone here have a similar experience or can all you experts offer any advise?

As always, thanks, I LOVE this place!

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 PM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Mac,

This has been touched on a few times before, you might benefit from a search (see top of page, AND on main page, down the right side, see yellow Archive buttons)

We find we do not need to winterize till the temps get down to 20 and stay there for more than, say, 4 hours (in one night). When Montana is sitting in Tipton, it does not have water in it, cept, like the water heater. When we are in a campground, the basement is heated somewhat (your unit is MUCH better than ours is for withstanding the cold as it is newer and you have some nice improvements in that area over what we got), and that usually keeps it from freezing up down to about the same area.

Many of our fulltimers have figured ways to stay in some pretty cold temps. Again, try a search, there have been some GREAT articles on this.

Here where we are, lower Michigan, close to Ohio, we usually winterize November 1st.

However, if you feel it might freeze up, it is not worth worrying about and not worth risking the repairs you might face if it does freeze. SOOOO, when in doubt, WINTERIZE!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Mac, we also enjoy camping during the fall as long as possible and what I do is turn the furnace on and set the thermostat to as low as it will go. (About 40 degrees) This will keep a little heat in the belly of the trailer and has prevented anything from freezing in all of our previous trailers. This is our first Montana, but I suspect it will do the same. My trailer parks right next to the house and is always plugged into electricity so I don't have to worry about running the battery down and I can keep an eye on the propane bottles to see when they need refilled. But for me I prefer to pay the extra $17 to fill the propane bottles once versus antifreeze and back a couple of times. Plus, if you wait until November or so the antifreeze goes on clearance and we can pick it up for less than a buck/gallon.

The only thing I would add to the list above was to remember the washing machine if you have one. We have the hookups but do not have the washer itself. So, I am going to hook up a short piece of old hose and run the antifreeze into a bucket.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:27 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Does anyone have a trick to winterizing the Washer Dryer? Will just pressurizing the water system with the antifreeze and run a quick rinse cycle do it?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 05:56 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I noticed the bypass valve on the water heater points parallel to the line through which the water will flow. This is how you can tell it is bypassed. If it is parallel to the vertical water line that goes between the two lines to the tank, then it's bypassed.

Don, the manual for the washer should hopefully have instructions for winterizing. Ours said to pour some antifreeze in the tub and run the drain and spin cycle for some period of time (I think it was 10 seconds but may have been 30). Our dealer told us don't bother to disconnect the water lines as the antifreeze has gone through the outgoing and draining the low point drains eliminated the water in both lines anyhow. That's how we did ours and never had a problem. The past couple of winters we've lived in this thing and haven't winterized but above is what we did before that. Other brand washers may be different. Ours is a Whirlpool brand ("Conservator by Crosley").
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:47 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Thanks Steve.
We have the splendide combination. I just read the manual cover to cover (at least the english part) and nothing about winterizing? Will use your suggestion, it sounds about right.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 04:17 AM   #10
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Everyone has just about hit all of the highlights of winterization of a Montana. For those that have Washer/dryers, be sure to set the water temp switch to medium so both the cold and hot water lines come on pumping the antifreeze into the washer. When I can see it in the tumbler, I turn the washer on and drain the antifreeze into the tank. That way, the antifreeze is in both the lines and in the washer pump. I never leave the antifreeze standing in the tumbler.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2005 3475 Montana
2005 2500HD GMC 4x4 Crewcab Duramax with edge and attitude
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 01:06 AM   #11
BillE
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2594
For what it's worth...last weekend when I winterized my 2955, I flipped the by-pass valve, stuck the hose in the anti-freeze, sucked it right up! Then I realized it was going into the hot water tank. I'm thinking, this ain't right or am I really stupid. Poked my head in further to the cab...behind a lil 'seperation wall'was another valve! Just like the main one, but a tad smaller. Turned that one to 'by-pass' worked like a champ. Mind you before I found that hidden puppy I had gone thru 5 gal of pink stuff.

Hope this may help someone.

Bill
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #12
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
I had a question to ask everyone. The technician during our PDI yesterday mentioned about winterizing the city water fill area and I'm a little confused because I've never done this before in any other trailer or motorhome I've had. Have any of you ever heard of this or recommend it, and if so can you share how to do it?

As always............THANKS!

man
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:38 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't know what that means..how would you do that ???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 12:40 PM   #14
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Haven`t done the city water fill yet.but from what I understand you pop out the screen and washer thats in their.And with one of the inside faucets open to relieve pressure you push in the button and anti-frezze should flow out.I hope others will correct me if i`am wrong.I have one more trip planned for early November before I winterize myself.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 07:20 PM   #15
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Harleyrider I did what you said by pushing on the little valve and the end popped off and the spring popped out. I said oh s--- I had to pull the water fill door compartment to get on the back side to put it back together. So be careful.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:52 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is probably why we have never done that////
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 07:55 PM   #17
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
I was thinking that you could use one of those manual pump kits to pump the antifreeze thru the city water inlet and up to the pump. There is at least 15ft of waterline between my city fill and the pump. Wouldn't want to let that sit with water in it. I suppose you could just blow it out too.
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 03:07 AM   #18
CRUZIN 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3160
Last year we put four gallons RV antifreeze in the fresh water tank and pumped it through all lines, including the outside shower. Had no problems next spring, and we live in Nebraska.
Old 10-18-2005, 03:16 AM   #19
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Go to Home Depot, or Lowes, and get a "Shur-Flo" drill pump (under $7.00), it has "Garden Hose" size threads on the inlet,and outlet sides. Get some hose ends, connect to your RV's "City Water" inlet put the other end into the Anti-Freeze jug, and pump away...
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 01:18 PM   #20
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Quote:
quote:For what it's worth...last weekend when I winterized my 2955, I flipped the by-pass valve, stuck the hose in the anti-freeze, sucked it right up! Then I realized it was going into the hot water tank. I'm thinking, this ain't right or am I really stupid. Poked my head in further to the cab...behind a lil 'seperation wall'was another valve! Just like the main one, but a tad smaller. Turned that one to 'by-pass' worked like a champ. Mind you before I found that hidden puppy I had gone thru 5 gal of pink stuff.

Hope this may help someone.

Bill
Bill,

The same thing happen to me today. I will check for that second valve tomorrow. I only managed to get the pink stuff to the cold water lines. I used 5 gallons of the pink stuff and most of it is now in the water heater.

Thanks,
Lou

5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote