Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC REGIONAL CAMPING CLUBS > North American MOC/Rio Grande Winter Texans
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2005, 03:00 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Going to Mexico, need a passport ?

Just a reminder, that you may want to consider getting your passport IF you want to travel to Mexico this winter from the Rio Grande. We talked about this around campfire here at the Great Lakes Rally the other evening and we believe that the date for needing a passport (US citizens) is January 1, 2006. If I have that date wrong, someone please correct me!!

It takes a bit of time to get a passport, believe it is something like 6 to 8 weeks, without paying a big penalty for wanting it NOW!

Contact your local post office, or in many cases the county clerk where you live. Ask them about processing times, and verify the date you must have a passport to get back into the USA from Canada and Mexico.

See ya in the Rio Grande, God Willing and the creek and fuel prices don't rise!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:42 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Carol,
You have the date right. It has been in the papers here a lot since so many people travel from this area and back. We got our passports sooner than 8 weeks but I wouldn't count on it. I had to get another birth certificate as they wouldn't accept the one I had used for 60 years. You have to have one that has a state embossed seal. So I had to pay the extra for faster service. I think it was $20.00.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 08:31 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Carol and Sue ... I was recently looking around the Internet for passport information and read that the fees for obtaining a passport are something like $80-100. Is that correct? We already have certified birth certificates, so we would not have that additional expense.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Vicki
We paid $60 several years ago plus cost of picture. The Post Office we went to took pictures but I understand not all do. There are several "companies" that advertise passports but you don't need to use them. The Post Office does it. Was quick and easy to do just had to wait on them coming in the mail.
Happy trails...........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen confirms the price of $60 per person with a five week waiting period. We also got ours at the post office.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 01:41 PM   #6
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We just received our passports. Took exactaly 6 weeks & came Priority Mail. Cost: $64 for passport; $38 for Post Office General and $12 for photo. Total: $104.00 each. Also, confirmed that passports will be needed this coming year 2006 for cruise trips to & from US; but Mexico & Canada requirement does not go into effect until January 1, 2007. You will be able to get out, but not back into the US.
Also, New Orleans was the place issuing passports...as to where now? Post Office should know.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 02:24 PM   #7
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Here's a few sites I had bookmarked for the last time we went into Mexico. Maybe one of these will help you. The top link has been updated and gives information about the New Orleans office also.

US Department of State: Passports: How to get a new one or renew one
http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html

US Department of State: Foreign Entry Requirements
http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...ures_1229.html

American Embassy in Mexico: USA Citizen Services in Mexico
http://mexico.usembassy.gov/mexico/c..._services.html

Locations of Mexican Consulates: In the USA & Canada
http://www.mexonline.com/consulate.htm

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 07:16 AM   #8
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Got our Passports 3 years ago at the County Clerks office for an Ireland trip. Our experience was sort of like SYPLACE. $55 for the passport, $35 for the County, $10 for pictures, and about $40 for expedited certified birth certificates from original birth states.
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Well, if I am reading this correctly, unless we intend on floating into Mexico via the Rio Grande River, we might be ok here.

go to this web site:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

here is part of what is there:

"What is the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative?

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative will require all travelers, including U.S. citizens, to and from the Americas, the Caribbean, and Bermuda to have a passport or other accepted document that establishes the bearer’s identity and nationality to enter or re-enter the United States. This is a change from prior travel requirements. The goal is to strengthen border security and facilitate entry into the United States for U.S. citizens and legitimate foreign visitors.

Who will the Travel Initiative affect?

The travel document initiative will affect all United States citizens traveling within the Western Hemisphere, who will now be required to carry a passport or other accepted document.

It will also affect certain foreign nationals who currently are not required to present a passport to travel to the United States namely most Canadian citizens, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda and Mexican citizens.

When will the Travel Initiative be implemented?

In the proposed implementation plan, which is subject to a period of initial public comment, the Initiative will be rolled out in phases, providing as much advance notice as possible to the affected public to enable them to meet the terms of the new guidelines. The proposed timeline will be as follows:

December 31, 2006 – Requirement applied to all air and sea travel to or from Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
December 31, 2007 – Requirement extended to all land border crossings as well as air and sea travel."

There is a lot more here, lots of links, etc. I have not read it all, but will be doing so soon.

Still gonna get those passports, ours have expired, so, now is a good time.

Thanks Vicki P. for sending me this URL info!

Carol
Old 09-12-2005, 05:14 PM   #10
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Why wait. Go ahead and get a passport now. Then if you spontneously decide to got England, France, Italy, Germany, or where ever, you are ready to go. Just park the fiver, get a cab to the airport. No need to wait for the passport service.

Now, one other important note, if you travel into Mexico past the free trade zone you must get a Mexican Visa document and an auto permit. Both are available at the Mexican Consulate or at a Customs office just inside the Mexican border. The fees are nominal but inside Mexico these fees must be paid to a recognized financial institution such as Banamex.

The Visa document is required in many countries in the world including the US for certain foreign visitors. Actually, if you relax and work with the various bureacracies, obtaining and using the correct documents is part of the adventure.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 11:29 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Excellent info and advise Dave and Victoria. And thanks to all who provided info and especially the good links. We're ordering ours as soon as we get home after the Rally. One never knows when the urge to travel may strike.

Good luck and happy travels.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 01:31 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I guess we are ok for another year or so. Pretty soon we will need passports to get into the U.S.A. We only go to Mexico from the valley to do a booze run or visit Progresso for our mob fix and "almost free" fun.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 03:40 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Bill and Ann.....
I know what a booze run is but can you tell me what a mob fix is? Don't know that one but would like to just in case.

BTW, the passports are good for 10 yrs so if you break it down it really doesn't cost that much. Also, Walmart and Walgreens take passport pictures. I think it costs about the same as the post office though.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How long is a passport good before you have to renew? Is the renewal charge the same as for the initial passport?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
good for 10 years, try that link in one of my posts, it should answer all that and more than you really want to know! >G>G>

think the first one is a bit more expensive, but not sure anymore.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:13 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Steve, Bill and I renewed ours last Feb. and I think we paid around $58.00 for each plus the pictures that we had taken at Walgreens. Both of us have had passports since the 60's as we each had to travel a lot for our jobs. I think I mentioned that we met while in Switzerland. At first they were only good for seven years but the last couple of times we re-newed they were for 10. The fun thing is to see the changes in your pictures after 10 years. I have kept all my old passports and I have been anywhere from skinny and black hair to ... well lets just say to what I am today.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 06:35 PM   #17
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I saw an article saying that it's going to take longer than usual to get a passport so it's best to apply soon. It's probably a result of the hurricane.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 02:29 AM   #18
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Our Canadian passports are only good for 5 yrs. and cost $85. ea. We are going to be holding out until they are needed.
Carol: I thought you had gone to Progresso last year. The mob fix is related to the number of people walking down the sidewalks in Mexico. 4 people passing on a 3' sidewalk. I usually end up walking down the road.
Old 09-17-2005, 03:10 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill and Ann,

We did, I like your "name" for that experience, it was adelmoll that was asking, and you answered her very eloquently!

Goodness Bill, your temp in Kingston is 999C ??? GULP! HAHA
Old 09-18-2005, 02:34 AM   #20
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Sorry Carol. I guess I was reading your post after and didn't pay too much attention who was asking.