Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #1
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Tow Vehicle for the Cambridge.

We are about to do it. After looking at so many options it was making my head swim, we decided to order a 2006 GMC 3500 Dually. Basically, it solves my pin weight problem and comes close to solving the GCWR problem. I plan to add a Banks exhaust break and airlift airbags.

We looked seriously at 4500 Kodiak/Topkick haulers. They also solve the pin weight problem but fail to solve the GCWR problem. They also bring along the disadvantages of high capital outlay and a truely huge vehicle for the proverbial trip to the supermarket. In addition, we couldn't get the new LBZ engine and 6-speed Allison in the 4500. And, we love our OnStar -- it is not available in the 4500. I did like the air ride suspension and air ride seats sported in most of the category 4 and 5 haulers we looked at. Some of the aftermarket seats are truely outstanding as are the hauler bed arrangements.

I guess it boils down to how much we really love our 2003 Sierra. It comes close to doing the job with the Cambridge. A small change seems in order -- also, one we can afford.

Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I have been looking at the new Duramax specs and reading as much info as possible. I am jealous already of your new truck. Would like to trade in for the 06 Chevy Duramax but am going to wait to see what the new 07 truck is going to be. I look forward to hearing how your new truck is doing for you. I have decided that I need to stay away from the rv dealership as I come a little closer every trip to trade in for the Cambridge. Such a really neat unit. =)
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 03:20 AM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Hi Dave,

I have been trying hard to stay away from GM dealerships to avoid temptation, but you have obviously not, so perhaps you can tell be if there are any changes in the 2006 in the weight carrying specs as compared to previous years. (I realize that in your case, just going to a 3500 dually would do a lot for you).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 04:33 AM   #4
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I thought long and hard about waiting for the new sheet metal. I suspect GM will match Fords weight specs where they are higher although no one has said so just yet. However, the differences are not that significant compared to the existing GM numbers. The only likely area of difference over the 2006 is in the frame construction. The new design is still nominally 6 months away. If you want a hint at what it will look like, the new yukon pictures are on some of the GM fan web sites.

The weight specs I was most concerned about is the load on the rear axle. The limit I could not satisfactorily fix on the 2500 was the tire load. Funny, there are some steel wall "G" rated 16 inch 235/85 tires out there but the load rating is lower than the rating on my Michelin "E" rated 265's. What's more, the dealer said I should plan on wearing a kidney belt if I got them. The other option was going to a 19.5 inch rim and narrow sidewalls. I did not go down that road very far.

This is going to be new territory for us. I have never been a fan of long beds and duallies due to percieved problems with turn radius and parking. Oh well, I'm only 65. There should be time to learn

Old 10-07-2005, 04:43 AM   #5
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Dave,

The turn radius is kinda long, yep, you will adjust fast, we just back up and pull forward in tight sports more than we did before!

As far as parking, we park way out in the lots, take up two spots in length (when you are that far out no one cares) and we get some extra exercise.

When you get this new truck all hooked up, let us know if you perceive any difference in stabilty. Would love to hear your feelings going from single to dual wheels.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 10:14 AM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I just read the GM schedule for the new pickup design. SUV's out first -- early in 2006. 1500 pickups next fall. 2500HD and 3500 in early 2007. They are rumored to have complete box frame. At any rate, it is too long for us to wait.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:42 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dave and Victoria,
Take a look at what I spoted at the MOC Rally in Reno:

Is this the type of vehicle you're waiting and talking about?
HamRad

HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:20 AM   #8
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Mary Kay and Dennis
Yes, we looked at the 4500 but NOT with that pickup bed. Reason: BED IS TOO HIGH. The bed is made by Monroe. It is fiberglass. There have been several cases where trailer and box came in contact on uneven roads with bad results. Our option with the 4500 (Topkick or Kodiak) was to go with a hauler body installed by an upfitter. We had settled on the one made by Chariot Vans. We even put a down payment on one and then backed out in favor of a new 3500 DRW. The 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 D/A DRW is on order and should be here before Christmas. Better ride, better looking, no eyesore in front of stickhouse, no problems with homeowner association, etc., etc...