Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
edmojenks
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10127
30 amp extension cord.

Obviously I am totally clueless when it comes to electronics or I wouldn't be asking these two questions.

I want to run by pair of Honda Generators (2000i and the 2000i companion) from the bed of my truck. Combined, those produce 33.4 amps max. and 26.6 rated.

Question 1 - My regular 50 amp power cord only reaches to just near the front of my trailer. That is why I need an extension cord in the first place. I only need about 10 more feet, which is why I plan on buying a 25 ft. cord. A 25 ft. 50 amp. cord is $100, while a 30 amp is 1/3 of that.Can I even use a 30 amp extenson cord due to the max. rating being 33.4 or would I have to use a 50 amp cord?

Question 2 - If I can get by with hooking up a 30 amp extension cord to those two units that are capable of over 30 amps can I combine a 30 amp extension oord with a 50 amp power cord?

Someone please help this poor lost soul. Oh, and thank you in advance.

edmojenks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Use a 30-amp cord. You are only dealing with 30-amps so you don't need the 50-amp cord.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:10 AM   #3
ONERUNNING
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10448
Eddie, I'm not to sharp either when it comes to electricity. Something that you can't see, smell or hear, but will kill you, I try to stay away from it. And, I don't know anything about running dual generators, but I'm wanting to learn, as I'm also new to the RVing with a new 3400RL. But what I want to say is here at home I've got my 50 amp cord plugged into a 30 amp cord using an adapter that known as a "Dog Bone". It a 50 amp female plug on one end and 30 amp male plug on the other end. It's about 18 inch long and can find them at most RV dealers or Camper World. I use it just to have lights, and can run only one AC unit, when we are packing up to get on the road or unpacking. Plus, it' will keep my 12 battery charged.
I'm sure some of the guys that having been doing this Monty RVing for some time, will be along shortly whit much better advice, and I'm sure both of will probably learn something.
ONERUNNING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:38 AM   #4
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
As I understand it, your hondas will only surge briefly over 30 amps and run consistently less than 30. With that, I would use a 30 amp extension cord as you described. I also suspect you will rarely run with both hondas flat out.
I would not recommend using the 30 amp extension to hook up to a service rated continuous greater than 30 amps.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
Okay, I missed Question 2. Yes you can use a 30 and 50 amp cord together hooked in series. ( that means the 50 is hooked to the camper and to the 30, and the 30 is hooked to the hondas) You just limit your continuous rating to the lowest rated cord which is 30 amps.

Also keep your 30 amp cord open to the air. Don't wrap it up as it needs to have fresh air to cool itself. Just remember that your continuous amps are less than 30. A slight surge over is okay for a brief moment. Even a circuit breaker will allow a slight surge. They will not allow a large surge or a continuous small over current.

As always, use caution with electrical services and get a professional to help as needed.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #6
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Eddie,

I have a question for you:

Will this set-up be a regular think or just a once in a while thing?

If it will be on-going what I would do is buy a 50 foot 30 amp cord, cut off both ends, put a 30 twist lock plug on one end to mate up the the Honda Companion, and put a 50 amp twist lock on the other to mate to the Monty. I know it won't be cheap, but you would eliminate the two adapters (any time you can eliminate connections is a good thing with electric or electronics). I've made up several cords, one with a 30 amp plug on one end and 50 amp twist lock on the other, I also have a heavy duty extention cord with a standard 15 amp plug on one end and a 50 amp twist lock on the other. Allows me to connect in different applications without the need of any adapters (although I think I have just about every combination made)
If it's a just once in a while thing, then go with the 30 amp cord with adapters to mate to the gen and the Monty.
That is what I would do, but to each their own.

Michelle S.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
I have a slightly different suggestion for you. There will be many times when you will only need 30 amps of service total. Therefore I would suggest buying a 30 AMP cord just as long as your 50 Amp cord. And then buy two adapters. A short 50 Amp to 30 AMP pigtail with a 50 amp twist lock connector on one end and a 30 AMP male connector on the other end. And also another adapter - a 50 AMP Female to 30 AMP Male connector. Then you can use both the 50 amp and the 30 amp cords in series to connect to your truck bed mounted genrators OR just use the 30 AMP cord with pigtail adapter when all you need is 30 AMP connected to shore power. You will need to carry a 50 AMP Female adapter to 30 AMP male adapter with you anyway if all you have is a 50 AMP cable, since some campgrounds only have 30 AMP service. So all you are buying new is a longer 30 AMP cable and the pigtail adapter. The longer 30AMP cord in series with the 50 AMP cord will allow you much more freedom of where the truck is parked when hooked up to the generators. 30 AMP service will typically serve what is needed in an RV with one air conditioner. If the 2nd A/C is needed then the 50 AMP cord is mandatory. In may case you will find that you will leave the 50 AMP cord at home since it is so heavy and unweildly.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote