Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 11-04-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Savannah

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to what campground to stay at in or around Savannah? Thanks, Richard & Sherry

bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
You might PM Dave (Xnavydiver) I thing he might have been there last year?? GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #3
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I recommend Skidaway State Park. Of course I am a camp host here so I may be prejudiced. xnavy diver is here now as well. We get lots and lots of compliments on this place
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Yes sir!
Hardeeville RV

9 miles from downtown Savannah, in South Carolina.

This is a no frills park. Lots of trees. Peaceful.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #5
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
I will agree, we spent 5 days in Skidaway. It is a rustic park, quiet and not all that far away from downtown.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
footloose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9442
We've been to Savannah twice. We absolutely loved Savannah. We stayed at Bellaire Woods Campground. You might be interested in my diary entries for that park. Hopefully they have their act together now.

Savannah, GA (5/4-5/10/1994). Our RV Park was not very good here. It was 15 miles south of Savannah. The owners had encouraged feeding the squirrels, and there were thousands of them. They were crawling everywhere -- under, around, and on top of the RV's and RV awnings. I hated it.

Savannah, GA, 6/12-6/16/2002. We were in Savannah 7 years before. We liked it so much we wanted to return. In re-reading my diary, I discovered that we hated the RV Park we stayed in because of the squirrels. We thought we’d chosen a different park this time, but to our dismay it turned out to be the same one. Fortunately the squirrels were tolerable this time, but the management were irritating in their paranoia about safety. They required 5 mph, and changed the code on the entry gate daily. While Dick was in the office, a woman who had arrived in an enormous luxury bus was checking in. The manager when finding out that she had three kids wanted the kids to come inside so they could see them because, she said, kids ruin their bathhouses. The woman angrily replied they had no intention of using the bathhouses.
footloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Bob & Brenda, when you say rustic, do they have full hook ups? Sounds Good. Thank you everyone for you suggestions. Really appreciate it.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
No sewer connections, just a dump station. Water and 30amp, some have 50amp. Our view of rustic; dirt/grass pads, all of the sites are amongst the trees, so it is not a rv resort. We enjoyed the camping and had a good time. We were there this past March.

If you do go to Savannah, Paula Dean has a restaurant downtown. The food is very good and there is plenty of food whether you do the buffet or order from the menu. Making reservations is quite unique. You must stand on line to make a reservation for either lunch or dinner. They have "seatings" by times. You select your time. 15 minutes prior to your reservation time, you stand across the street from the restaurant and they call your name and in you go for your reservation.

bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:58 AM   #9
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Just got a e-mail from Dave (exnavydiver) is at Skidaway he arrived there today. GBY.......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM   #10
mcgiver2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2389
We have been at Skidaway and its nice campground and we loved Savannah,and Paula Dean has a restaurant mmmmm it is good
mcgiver2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We are at Skidaway as I type this. We have been coming here for three years now. Great park and friendly staff. Cmdr Dewey and his wife are here as camp hosts. Savannah is one of our favorite cities, there is a lot to do and see. This place is PACKED with history, both revolutionary war and civil war. Hilton Head Island is only 60 miles away and we just got back from there. There are several wineries near here and many other historical sites. It is a great place to visit... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I, too, stayed at Skidaway Island State Park. We would recommend it as we really enjoy the "rustic" camping. We stayed there this spring also....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #13
bob
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6258
Thank you all....Skidaway sounds like the place to stay.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #14
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
Stayed there two years ago and would definitely go back,only draw back is no sewers.
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
LuckyNichol
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8615
Hello Exnavydiver and CmdrDewey -- Good to reconnect. We had a very windy and scary ride home to Wisconsin from the Moc Rally. Wish we were there now at Skidway (being campground hosts -- someday) although we've never been to Skidway! Our favorites are further up the pike -- Hunting Island State Park, Beaufort, SC (by the way check out their special $300 snow bird winter rate for 30 days) and James Island County Park near Charleston. Yes, we love the history, good restaurants, and all of that, especially the ocean, but we have always found Hilton Head to be a real turn-off. After a rather disappointing rainy camping season up here, we finally put our TT away until spring, because, alas, we have to spend at least another winter in Madison, where the only excitement at the moment is the opening of a brand new state of the art HyVee Store (sad).
LuckyNichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #16
profcoyle

M.O.C. #9882
We were at Skidaway State Park at this time last year. Beautiful place. We were able to stay the five days we wanted too without needing to dump. We will definitely return to Skidaway whenever we are in the Savanah area again - hopefully sooner rather than later.

Currently stuck in our hometown of Fortuna (47 degrees and raining), CA, waiting to get a couple of medical appointments out of the way before returning to real full-timing! We have leased our home and hope to stop by Quartzsite on our way back through the southwest. Ultimately headed for the northeast.
profcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #17
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Another Montana pulled in here this afternoon. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet. If the owner is on here, let me know. Weather looks real good for the next few days. Ya'all come.
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote