Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM   #41
russd
Established Member

M.O.C. #6222
i have ten years prolly before i need to upgrade the ford truck. i hope toyota does make a dually to give me another option. our 2000 tacoma was made in california and runs great.

russd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:53 AM   #42
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Be it noted that my Honda is made right here in Ohio by American workers who are paid in American dollars and spend that money in American stores..BUYING THINGS MADE EVERYWHERE BUT IN THE USA. Accept it folks we are living in a global economy and we need to learn how to compete in it..All I know is we need to buy stuff at the least cost that we can. Don't care where it is made.. USA would be fine.. and nobody consulted me on sending jobs over seas.. For the record I dissaprove..but noone is listening.
While I see and agree with your point on the Global economy rich, your post is a perfect example of an attitude gone terribly wrong. Your statement about your home made Honda being made by Americans is suppose to make people feel comfortable about a decision to buy Honda. If instead you and thousands of other Americans bought a Malibu it would still have been made by proud Americans paid in American dollars. Even better, the profit made on that car would have been primarily re-invested in the American people and spent primarily in aid of the American economy. As it is the profit on your Honda ended up in Japan helping those people. I agree this is not necessarily a bad thing, they need to eat too but charity begins at home.
When people need to buy at the lowest possible cost no matter where the product is made you just about rule out supporting your home town neighbours for the sake of a few cents or dollars. I guess I just don't get it. Global economy yes, but only after I try to support my own country first. Buying on price first means all of your jobs will eventually end up in China. The US or Canada for that matter cannot offer the lowest price on many manufactured goods because we don't work for 2 or 3 dollars a day.
Back to Tundra. No one can tell me that Toyota or Honda can make a product so superior to the American car makers that it is worth throwing away the General Motors and Fords of the world. I know I am beating a dead horse, so many are buying foreign anyway without nary a worry so why should I waste anymore of my time thinking about this. Sorry for the rant folks, it just gets me worked up seeing us contribute to the downfall of our great North American companies.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:53 AM   #43
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Jim excellent post, However I think it may be to late. I find its almost impossible to find many things made in the USA. When Ford workers are being paid on average $28.80 a hour to build Trucks and Cars I can understand why Ford is in serious trouble. While reading the paper yesterday it had a long story about Fords problems. It seems as Ford is having the most problems of the big 3. You can't pay that kind of wages and Medical benfits they are providing and survive in this Global economy. I don't know the answer, but I do try to buy USA made products. Both of our Vehicles are made in the USA... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:24 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are two sides to every story......

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/01/auto.main/index.html

We compared the Saturn and Honda Civic The Saturn had poor quality and workmanship and was more expensive than the Honda both to lease or purchase. We have to purchase what our income allows..that means shopping at Wall mart. I say again..No one consulted us on out sourcing jobs, building wallmarts or building plants overseas. We oppose that. But us like millions of others have got to get the " best bang for the buck" I am doing the best we can buy supporting that American working at Honda. Wish he worked at a GM, Ford or Chrysler plant and it is not my fault that he does not.Don't know what the answer is..only know how we are affected and that we had no control. We will learn to live and compete in a global economy or??????
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:51 AM   #45
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
As for me and mine, We buy and support American. All the rationalizations to do otherwise do not convince me.

It is best that one follows his/her own conscience in this matter.

Happy trails to all.
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 05:52 AM   #46
Amps
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3430
Quality repeat quality versus price is what I go by. I do not have the money to throw out the door on cheap stuff. The same applies for cars and truck.
My TV is a RAM and my car is a Saturn (2000) the better built Saturn.
I have had great Fords and GMs in the past and 1 great Toyota small truck. But I also remember that my very worst car was a GM BUICK That was also my last GM except for the Saturn.
Build quality products and I will buy Canadian or USA products but if the quality is not there too bad I will buy elsewhere.
It is really up to the CDN and US workers to produce or take what comes.
Amps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #47
MuddyPaws
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2277
Chances are that the Toyota has more 'US Content' than anything made by the big three.

Buy American? Good luck with that. Window stickers have a US content section, check it out next time you go shopping.
MuddyPaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:27 AM   #48
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Globe economy, yes, but not a level playing field. We may need to look to some kind of tariffs (bad word). Our american companys are expected to meet different standards than their world counter parts. Pay benifits and wages other don't. They also meet enviromental standards that others don't. Our govenment(another bad world) needs to make sure our competition meets the same standards, or pay a tariff to match. Then the prices would be more competitive.
I'm almost sure CHINA is not meeting the same requirement our companies are.
Just a thought.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:14 AM   #49
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Why buy a rice burner, when we have perfictly good machines made here? Even if the are put together in the US, all the profit goes to Japan. Our congress was bought off many years ago by the Japanese companies. They charge us a 100% tarrif on vehicels sold over there. The Japanese pay hardly anything to sell their cars here.
Jerry
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:04 AM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
How American is that car.......

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...nt-chart_N.htm

Be it noted that there is NOT ONE single 100%... so what do you do now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:52 AM   #51
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
With Toyota getting all the publicity, I wonder when Honda will come out with a diesel dually? At any rate, Toyota and Honda will have to do some work to get rid of the image of 'pretty' trucks to one of heavy duty RV haulers the big three have.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote