Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2018, 03:51 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
GPS Advice

DW and I are starting to take more and longer trips thanks to retirement. Last fall went from South Texas to Northern New Mexico, and the GPS that came with my 2015 Ford F350 Super Duty worked well. Got back a week ago from a trip from South Texas through Southern Arizona to Vegas and back. Multiple times my GPS would tell me something to the effect that the "data was not complete-proceed with caution", but still got where we needed to go OK. I took delivery of this truck in April of 2014 so the GPS is almost 4 years old (at least). Trying to decide to pay the $150 +/- to upgrade it or go with an aftermarket GPS. We do want to go to the Northeastern U.S. in the near future and while I prefer to stay on main roads I could foresee needing one of the "RV GPS" that supposedly will keep you from driving on a road with a low bridge and/or a narrow/winding/steep road. Any and all advice from you more knowledgeable folks is greatly appreciated. TIA.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:14 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
You will still get the "data was not complete-proceed with caution" even after updating the software - it is just telling you the info for a particular area is not great. While an aftermarket unit may not give you the warning the data all basically comes from the same source - its just not telling you so. An RV GPS can help keep you out of trouble with bridges and other obstructions but they are not foolproof. If you plan to stick to main roads you can probably get by without it although the east coast in general is tougher to get around in with an RV.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:32 PM   #3
GLS3950
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18049
I wasn't going to pay for their updates. Bought the Garmin RV GPS it comes with lifetime map updates. You put in your rig size. So far it has treated me right.
GLS3950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:24 PM   #4
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I have used both the built in GPS (in my 2012 F350 and DW’s 2015 Expy) and a couple of Garmins. The Garmins have some features I like. But I really don’t like it sitting on the dash. Specially one with a large screen. And I always felt a need to put it down out of sight at night or when left in a store parkng lot any time.

The built ins have served me well. And I really like the large screen. And being able to talk to it by touching a button on the steering wheel.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Haven't used the built in one since the first week I owned the truck. 7 years now with a Rand McNally RV GPS in a cradle I built.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:33 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We have an aftermarket RV GPS and are really happy with it. It isn't perfect but works well enough to suit us.

It is the Camping World 7" Good Sam (I think Rand McNally). Only issue I have had with it is on occasion you have to turn it off and back on to get it to find a signal.

I really like the "next exit", find fuel and find campground features!
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:19 PM   #7
Starmaster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16103
We’ve used a Rand McNally RVND 7730 for several years. The really nice thing is you can input your rig length and weight. Then it will route based on those parameters, theoretically avoiding bridges and low clearances that would be a problem. Another nice thing about a stand alone unit is that it is portable and can be used in multiple vehicles.

Overall it has worked very well, but has had a few really stupid routing errors. The screen can be a bit difficult to see in bright daylight sometime as well. Overall I’d give it a B+. It does have several features that are quit nice.

As a sanity check we typically also ran the Nav in the F350. Any GPS routing has to be taken will some suspicion and verified rather than blindly following.

Dave
Starmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
h2ojocky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13025
I have the RV 9365 by Magellan. It is good, but like any GPS they are not perfect. I always look at a regular map and confirm that route on the GPS making sure the GPS takes me the same route. If they aren't the same I go back to the regular map and see if what the GPS says looks good. No low bridges or anything like that yet.
h2ojocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:12 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have used and still use DeLorme Street Atlas on my laptop. Works great for us even though the product is not available because Garmin bought DeLorme and dropped it. I also use the Ford built in mapping system and a stand alone Garmin as back up. And finally--buy a current atlas every year. I have wondered why the truck manufacturers don't install a Garmin system and get out of the GPS mapping business??? Oh yes--it is all about $$$$$$$!
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 08:19 AM   #10
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I use the truck gps unless pulling the 5er. I bought the Garmin RV 760 a few years ago and update it (free) 3 or 4 times a year. Input length, height, and weight which has kept me off light weight bridges and a few low overpasses. Not perfect but I think as close as you can get.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starmaster View Post
GPS routing has to be taken will some suspicion and verified rather than blindly following.......
Absolutely. My Garmin tried to get me to take the back way into Great Sand Dunes NP several years ago, an unpaved 4x4 road over a mountain pass. I knew better, and told her so. But after passing the turn she kept saying “make a legal U turn”. She never listens to me.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:05 AM   #12
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Absolutely. My Garmin tried to get me to take the back way into Great Sand Dunes NP several years ago, an unpaved 4x4 road over a mountain pass. I knew better, and told her so. But after passing the turn she kept saying “make a legal U turn”. She never listens to me.
You got that right. What also drives me crazy is when the Garmin and the DW both start giving me conflicting direction and then the DW gets into a argument with the Garmin. Glad the Garmin is thick skinned and can takes insults without getting her feelings hurt.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:53 PM   #13
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Has your GOS ever copped an attitude after the third time it has to recalculate your route LOL
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 01:10 PM   #14
Beau2010
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18355
I had bad experiences with two Garmin products several years ago. The 660 and the 770 were both horrible in RV mode. I took both of them out at separate times in my home area to see how they worked. They both tried to take me down dead-end dirt roads, forest service trails, etc. After several hours on the phone with a Garmin tech, we decided that the problem may have been with Garmins mapping in our area, even though they worked about as well as my old Nuvi did in automobile mode. I still use the old Nuvi in my car and the new truck has the built-in GPS which has worked fine for 2 years and 30,000+ miles.
Beau2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 02:33 PM   #15
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Only once my 760 tried to send me down a dirt road. The truck GPS tried the same. With a TT I might feel more confident with the truck GPS but not a heavy 5er.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #16
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I understand the dislike for the size of the Garmin 760 RV GPS, but it is the easiest to see, has the ability to work with your RV's size and has lifetime updates included. Plus it shows the a picture of turns for easier understanding in confusing areas.

Still my choice and I also need to update the F-250 nav system.
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #17
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
Two years with the Garmin 760 RV and have traveled across the country east to west twice and north to south twice. So far only minor issues. Saved us a couple of times also.. 2015 Chev in dash GPS is not so good and has cost me miles in mistakes.
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:54 AM   #18
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We use the now replaced Garmin 760RV. It's right most of the time, probably over 99% though has sent us a couple routes that were wrong. I do like the size as with my driving specs, can still see it pretty well. Samantha, the lady inside the unit, can get annoyed when I choose a different route, but I, with a finger shut her up until she calms down. I don't have any experience with other brands, i.e. Magellan but most are happy with their choice as the RV dedicated features are similar
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 06:55 AM   #19
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
We use the now replaced Garmin 760RV. It's right most of the time, probably over 99% though has sent us a couple routes that were wrong. I do like the size as with my driving specs, can still see it pretty well. Samantha, the lady inside the unit, can get annoyed when I choose a different route, but I, with a finger shut her up until she calms down. I don't have any experience with other brands, i.e. Magellan but most are happy with their choice as the RV dedicated features are similar
You flipped her off?
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 07:16 AM   #20
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
You flipped her off?
Naw, I stuck my finger in her (electronic) mouth
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote