Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 AM   #1
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Approaching Nasty Weather

Tomorrow we were supposed to leave for Lancaster, PA for the first trip in the new Montana. Well, the weather looked great last Monday but now they are talking about a very nasty storm moving through the northeast tomorrow with high winds, possible tornado, hail, and very heavy rain. Those of you that attended the 2012 Northeast Rally know that the campground has a stream at the lower end and with all the rain, it may flood. So, we are unsure as to what we will be doing. Hoping to maybe leave Friday morning. Will keep an eye on the sky.

Thursday AM - Leaving Friday morning early. Called the campground and they expect to have no-shows today and that many will arrive tomorrow. They told us that "if we won't be there tonight, no charge for tonight even though we have reservations. We can't do anything about the weather." Very nice staff.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:27 AM   #2
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
ah, go ahead. put pontoons on the new rig and enjoy!
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:56 AM   #3
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Now they are saying high winds. Maybe I need wings, Dennis.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
triumphess
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13202
Which campground in Lancaster?
triumphess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Do the safe thing and wait it out. Two weeks ago we had two campers turned over at a State park near here and a pop-up sheared off where the canvas attached to the side and that was just from a thunderstorm down burst. I've seen two 5th wheels hit by tornados so far this year and you had to be told what the pile of wreckage was before you could pick out things you recognized. As we are well aware, full timing in Kansas in the summers, these things don't do well in bad storms and if you can avoid them you really want to do that. I recommend an amusement park if someone truly feels the need to be scared to death.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Yup, I'm not sure I'd make that my maiden voyage and changing things can sure be a pain. At least that Lancaster area is a great place to be. We have been there and between being close to Harrisburg, Hershey, Amish country and not that far from Gettysburg, I love that area.

But if the weather's bad it's gonna be hard to do anything besides the fact bad weather in the east spans hundreds of square miles so it's difficult to avoid. Maybe you'll be the first Monty owner to use a very heavy anchor to keep it place or chain up your fiver to tow it out. Best of luck!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #7
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
Triumphness - It is the Old Mill Stream Campground right next to Dutch Wonderland on route 30.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
We were there last week and it rained so hard that the creek was up to the top of its banks, but didn't overflow. Lots of stones washed away from the sites too, but all in all, we had a great time with Bill & Cindy Daniels(cdaniels) and Kevin & Lynn Morris(slufoot1)
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bullroc3

Tomorrow we were supposed to leave for Lancaster, PA for the first trip in the new Montana. Well, the weather looked great last Monday but now they are talking about a very nasty storm moving through the northeast tomorrow with high winds, possible tornado, hail, and very heavy rain. Those of you that attended the 2012 Northeast Rally know that the campground has a stream at the lower end and with all the rain, it may flood. So, we are unsure as to what we will be doing. Hoping to maybe leave Friday morning. Will keep an eye on the sky.
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just went out a pulled in the slides as they are reporting bad weather here in Northern Ohio. The S&B protects most of the Montana.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #11
TerryClaudia
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12055
John & Judy,

Congratulations on your new Monty. Hope to see you both at the National Rally In August. Be careful with the storms and safe travels.
Terry & Claudia
TerryClaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #12
Flymutt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12223
We were in a HUGE storm in Indy last fall and it scared the Ba-Jeebers out of me...er, I mean the DW. We are now in Oklahoma City and were glad to be in Utah last month during their tornado "episodes". I say, stay where you are till the storm blows over and wait for a better day .
Flymutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #13
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
The worst is to hit tomorrow(Thursday). You should be ok if you get here on Friday. We did have a lot of rain yesterday and the creeks are running high. Did you get one of the sites along the creek? You could just move to the higher sites if the stream is overflowing.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:39 AM   #14
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
We are in Richmond, VA and had a bad storm roll through here this past weekend with straight line winds 70-80 mph....very scary. Now today they are calling for possible severe thunderstorm this afternoon. It surprises me that a town that has tornadoes and hurricanes does not have a shelter...we are here because of my husband's job or wouldn't be here. this weather scares me to no end. there is a gas station by us that is brick and open 24hrs that said we could come there and hide out in the bathroom. Anyone live here or been here with any suggestions? Thanks, Wendy
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:29 AM   #15
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
No public buildings such as fire, police?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:56 AM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cmawendy

We are in Richmond, VA and had a bad storm roll through here this past weekend with straight line winds 70-80 mph....very scary. Now today they are calling for possible severe thunderstorm this afternoon. It surprises me that a town that has tornadoes and hurricanes does not have a shelter...we are here because of my husband's job or wouldn't be here. this weather scares me to no end. there is a gas station by us that is brick and open 24hrs that said we could come there and hide out in the bathroom. Anyone live here or been here with any suggestions? Thanks, Wendy
Call your county or city emergency management office and ask them for a list of shelters near you. They should have a list, but if not go to the police or a local fire department and ask them for suggestions.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
cmawendy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9222
Thank you everyone...
cmawendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We just had a bad storm come through here, about 3:45 PM. It took 3 large oak trees out in our back yard. No damage except to the trees, dodged the bullet again.
Lynqood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
After watching the news at 6 pm, it looks as if the bad storms were more to the south of PA than was expected.

Last July, we lost about 40 trees on our property from a tornado. VERY uncommon for northern PA.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #20
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Hey John and Judy,

Congratulations on the new rig! We're still here in NJ and were thankful the storm yesterday ended up way south of us.

Enjoy Old Mill Stream; we sure had a grand time at the rally last year!

This year we left the Monty here at the property, rented a beach house down at Cape May and were beach bums for a week.

Safe travels!

Betty
TYR is offline   Reply With Quote