Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2004, 10:10 AM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
AB switch

I want to install an AB switch so I can listen to music in the bedroom or in the living room or both. I have the RCA unit with CD & Cassette. It looks like there is room somewhere for this switch near the unit. Has anyone attempted this? If so,how did you do it? Where did you buy the switch?

Al

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:31 AM   #2
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
I got the switch at Radio Shack and installed it in the side of the cabinet that holds the CD player. Just ran the speaker wires from the RCA output into the switch and then distributed it to the speakers.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:44 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the switch at Radio Shack and installed it in the side of the cabinet that holds the CD player. Just ran the speaker wires from the RCA output into the switch and then distributed it to the speakers.

Craig
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Craig,
I saw 2 different switches at Radio Shack. One was a black enclosed box with outputs to A B C. The other looked like a white wall plate with outputs to A B. Is the latter the one you used? I may be able to use the latter. I need to pull the unit out to see if I have room to mount it to the side of the cabinet.

Al

Old 06-29-2004, 11:32 AM   #4
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
We have the ABC switch in our montana. i hooked it up to listen in front on A, The rear on B, and Both on C. It works great.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655Fl Montana. Ford F350 Diesel
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

I want to install an AB switch so I can listen to music in the bedroom or in the living room or both. I have the RCA unit with CD & Cassette. It looks like there is room somewhere for this switch near the unit. Has anyone attempted this? If so,how did you do it? Where did you buy the switch?

Al
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My switch is the A, B, A+B one. It is a surface mount and I just had to use a little wire to get from the radio to the switch. Tha speaker wires were lond enough to get into the cabinet that I mounted it in. I went out through the hole that the power cord comes out of.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
I got mine at Radio Shack also....they did not have the A-B switch in stock so I bought a switch that was actually 2 rocker switches. Put the switch inside the cabinet where the unit plugs in for power.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:59 PM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

My switch is the A, B, A+B one. It is a surface mount and I just had to use a little wire to get from the radio to the switch. Tha speaker wires were lond enough to get into the cabinet that I mounted it in. I went out through the hole that the power cord comes out of.

John

John,

Do you recall where you bought your switch? Where did you surface mount it to?

AL
Old 06-29-2004, 02:04 PM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
[quote]Originally posted by ken

We have the ABC switch in our montana. i hooked it up to listen in front on A, The rear on B, and Both on C. It works great.
Ken and Velda
Dahlgren Va
2003 3655Fl Montana. Ford F350 Diesel

Ken,

Where did you buy your switch? Is it a flush mount or a box?

Al
Old 06-29-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

Craig,
I saw 2 different switches at Radio Shack. One was a black enclosed box with outputs to A B C. The other looked like a white wall plate with outputs to A B. Is the latter the one you used? I may be able to use the latter. I need to pull the unit out to see if I have room to mount it to the side of the cabinet.

Al
Al,

It was the white wall plate model. My front speakers are on all the time. I just switch the bedroom speakers on and off.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:33 AM   #10
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Ours came with a switch (right above the bed) to turn off the speakers in the front bedroom, dont think its an AB switch, but take a look and see if it is there. At least we can turn off the sound from the entertainment center when the kids decide to stay up half the night.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:27 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Kenny, that's another of numerous changes Keystone made in response to comments and suggestions in MOC. Nice to know they listen but at the same time it makes sense to make the small changes that help sell more units.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #12
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Steve, good deal, guess I was lucky in that aspect, I know that the Cougar I had did not have it and I started to install one, I was tickled when I noticed the switch in this one. Its the little things sometimes that make a differance.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 05:13 PM   #13
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
My stereo is in the overhead cabinet area in the slide. There are storage areas on either side. The one on the left has the 110v receptacle in it that the stereo plugs into. I ran the wires into that cabinet and mounted the switch there.

I got the switch from Radio Shack and it does surface mount so all I do is open the cabinet door to switch it and it is out of sight.
It's a 40-132. $10.49

Look here:Radio Shack

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 06:33 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NJ Hillbilly

My stereo is in the overhead cabinet area in the slide. There are storage areas on either side. The one on the left has the 110v receptacle in it that the stereo plugs into. I ran the wires into that cabinet and mounted the switch there.

I got the switch from Radio Shack and it does surface mount so all I do is open the cabinet door to switch it and it is out of sight.
It's a 40-132. $10.49

John

Thanks John for the picture and the URL. I will probably go with this unit or the white flush mount that Craig - Drives BGM used. I will try to post a picture after I have finished with the project. Thanks to all for your ideas!

Al
Old 07-18-2004, 11:22 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
OK, here is my install of the AB switch. Purchased at Radio Shack.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:15 PM   #16
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
What good information. Thanks guys...Happy rving...
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:18 AM   #17
Montana_655
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #655
Quote:
quote:

It's a 40-132. $10.49

I installed the same for ours, front, back or both. Works fine...
Montana_655 is offline   Reply With Quote