Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 10-13-2008, 07:35 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Dish TV

I am looking into buy a Dish TV setup for my 5er. Any tips?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 02:14 AM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Don't have DishNetwork...do have DirecTV that what your considering?
We're part-timer's so bringing the receiver with us when heading out is not a problem although don't bring the HD-DVR as our grown kids still use the home base stuff while we are out and don't have the 50" plasma in the Monty.
Dish we use is a 3 LNB oval and have the tripod and a home-made tube for lashing to ladder as an alternative setup dependent on obstructions when parked.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We like ours. We have Dish HD, but our Roadtrip dome antenna is 2 years old and only picks up 110 and 119 satellites. The newer antennas are a little more complex to install (extra boxes and wiring runs)but they pick up the additional satellites like 129.

At first I was OK with recieving only 2 satellites. However, several channels I enjoy watching, even local channels, are moving to HD on 129 and I don't get to watch them anymore. Guess I'll have to break down and get the updated hardware.

Not sure which way you were looking to go, but with the regular TV you can save some money just going with the regular equipment. If you need HD, be sure to get the antenna system that will support receiving HD including the additional satellites.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I just picked up a Dish 1000 and tripod for less than $200. Beats the heck out of 1500 for one of this fancy push a button ones that I had one time. The fancy one only picked up 110 and 119 also, and the 1000 picks up 110, 119. and 129.

I have the Dish DVR-722and am very happy with it. I can record one channel, watch another, or record two and playback one recorded. Also, the DVR-722 allows for two televisions with only one receiver allowing you to watch different channels on each tv.

They all have their pros and cons. Saw recently where DirectTV will allow you now to record 4 channels. The technology is constantly changing - Moore's law.

When weather is bad you can most likely forget receptioin - like heavy clouds (storm type). That's where having several recording progams comes in handy. I'm typically happy to sit on the computer and cruise the internet ,and DW makes sure she has enough "Food Channlel," and "HGTV" recorded to keep her busy.

Either system, Dish Network or Direct TV will do the job.

Edited: It's nice to be able to push a button and have the antenna automatically point, but really difficult to move the 5er if obstructions are in the way. With a portable system on a tripod, you can usually find an opening in the trees and get a signal. Having both, of course, could be perfect - one should work.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:29 AM   #5
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Hi,

We have direct tv. I hooked it up for the first time this weekend. I have an old round dish and a new HD receiver. Hooked it up and it worked fine but only could see the SD channels (no HD). After all, we are camping so some 'roughing it' is in order. With Direct tv, I was able to watch all channels and found out that on the weather channel in SD, you can get local weather for any zip code you enter. Not sure how long that feature has been there, but I love it. It was easy to set up, just a compass to align the tripod to north and then go to the settings from the zip code you are at and it works well.
sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:45 AM   #6
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
OK all you smarter than me folks where in the coach do you put the receiver? And can my DW watch her do it herself shows in the bedroom while I watch my favorite stuff in the main cabin? actually she gets the big room and I the bedroom.
My motorhome had a Video switch that made the changes easy but the all or nothing connections in the 5er have me wondering.
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
With my Dish TV set up you need a receiver for each location if you are watching different shows.
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:57 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
This topic has been covered in depth, but as a refresher, yes, with the new Dish receivers you only need one receiver to view different stations on different televisions, so DW can watch Food Network, and you can go lay on the bed and watch p... Opps! Ah! Football.

I don't know how the 2955 is set up, but in the 3400RL there was a jumper wire. This acutally jumped the tv or cable signal to the back bedroom. With the new receivers, you plug the "distribution out" into one or the other of the jacks on the jumper panel, and you will have the connectivity you want. If you need more details, look in the "Let Us Entertain You," thread.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:49merc Posted - Nov 05 2008 : 4:34:28 PM
With my Dish TV set up you need a receiver for each location if you are watching different shows. Bob
OR you only need one DVR. I have a Dishnet DVR and the old analog TVs. I put the DVR on top of my DVD player /Surround Sound / Radio in the entertainment center. The DVR has two outputs. The first output goes to the LVRM TV via RCA composite cables(great picture for analog)(Input 1) The second output goes to the BDRM TV via the built-in BDRM TV coax cable.(the picture not as good as LVRM TV, but good. I don't remember the exact channel number the satellite appears on in the BDRM TV, but it is up around 100. You can watch different channels or recorded shows on each TV. As a side note, you need to make sure you vent the area around the DVR(or it will overheat) or remove the door so that it is ventilated.

Also, if you connect the batwing antenna to the Satellite DVR Antenna Input you can receive the digital TV channels wherever you are located.

Just another idea, hope it helps.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
nghelwer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7751
Have Directv - dish on tripod - still have an exciting time try to get good signal. Sometimes so frustrating I just either watch local with antenna or a DVD or just listen to XM radio.
nghelwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
At the stick house I have two Dish TV (Not DirectTV) satellite receivers and 4 televisions. (Yes, I know I need to get a life) One is a DVR receiver and the other is not. Both provide independent channel viewing for two televisions each. I typically pull the DVR out and take it with me for those nights there are a lot of re-runs, or something like elections on tv that we don't want to continuously watch, I just turn on the DVR and hit play for those recorded programs. Don't even need to be hooked up to the antenna to play the DVR.

Look at this LINK

The last statement in the link is wrong. DirectTV is different than Dish Network and you may need two receivers with Direct TV. You do not need two receivers with Dish Network.

The Dish Separator link has changed so here is a new link.