Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 10-06-2008, 11:30 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Camper shot at Pine Hill RV Park

Pine Hill is the very first park we ever stayed in. In fact we stayed there 5 different times including the 2006 Northeast Rally.
Noneck was just there the weekend of Sept 20th.

From WFMZ TV Allentown--
Camper Shot Twice by Burglar in Berks County
A man camping in Berks County is in the hospital after an altercation with a burglar. It happened just before 6:00 yesterday morning at the Pine Hill Campground in Greenwich Township. Police say Richard Evans, 38, was shot twice after waking up to find a burglar pointing a gun at him. Police say Evans was hit once in the arm and once in the knee.
He is in stable condition. Police say they are looking for a man in his 30s with a mustache and goatee.

Reading Eagle/Times article....
Richard Evans, 38, of Rockdale, Texas, told troopers he was sleeping alone in his camper at 5:45 a.m. when he awoke to find a man holding a gun standing over his bed.

Evans told troopers the man demanded money, which he gave him. But when the man demanded the keys to Evans' truck, Evans refused. That's when the man shot Evans twice, hitting him once in the upper right shoulder and once in the right knee, troopers said.

Evans called 9-1-1 and was taken to Lehigh Valley Hospital near Allentown, where he was reported in stable condition Sunday night.

Attempts to reach the owners of the campground Sunday night were unsuccessful.

The man who shot Evans fled, troopers said.

Troopers described the assailant as male with a dark complexion, mustache and goatee, approximately 5 feet, 8 inches tall, 30 to 40 years old and wearing a black hooded sweatshirt.

Anyone with information should call the state police at Hamburg at 610-562-6885.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Yikes!! BTW, we never made it there and have a standing credit to use this year as the weather forecast was 90% rain, well, watched during the weekend as it changed to 30% Saturday then poured cats and dogs Sunday so guess our decision was good one. Hmmm, wonder if I should be going there to cash in on my credit?
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 PM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
What a shame, thankfully, we rarely hear of this type of behavior in campgrounds.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:42 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Waking up and finding a burglar pointing a gun!!!
It is so unfortunate that we live in a society with criminals. And so unfortunate that in these economic times criminals are going to increase.

I make it a little harder for a burglar by locking both the latch and dead bolt. There would be enough noise to wake one of the three of us up, dog, DW, or me. and probably in that order.

Edited: he is lucky the burglar was a lousy shot. Lesson learned - never say no to a person pointing a gun at you.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Wonder if this version is closer to the truth?

Camper shot twice by burglar, police say

October 6, 2008

A Texas man camping in Greenwich Township was shot twice -- possibly with his own handgun -- Sunday after struggling with a burglar who broke in his camper and demanded money and the man's truck, police said.

Richard Evans, 38, of Rockdale was in stable condition at Lehigh Valley Hospital-Cedar Crest, a spokeswoman said. State police at Hamburg said Evans had a gunshot wound to the right shoulder and right knee.

About 5:45 a.m., Evans awoke to a man standing over him in his bed inside the camper parked at Pine Hill Campground off Old Route 22, police said. Evans told police the man was holding a gun, which Evans thought could be the gun he had left on the kitchen table.

The man demanded money and Evans complied. But when the man demanded keys to Evans' truck, the camper refused and a struggle ensued.

The burglar shot Evans and got away, police said. Evans dialed 911 and an ambulance took him to the hospital.

Evans told police the man is 30-40 years old, has a dark complexion, a mustache and goatee, is 5-foot-8 and was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt. Anyone with information is asked to call the Hamburg barracks at 610-562-6885.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 AM   #6
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
I would like to know if more than 50% of this story is true. If there is a final investigation report, and the information can be proven, I would like to read it. I know you can't beleive all you read, but I beleive this story was used for wrapping fish before being printed. Have a Good Day
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Two things-- What guy in his right mind would leave his own pistol on the table instead of putting it somewhere in the bedroom for easy access? AND if what I've read on this forum is correct, the entry could have been by using a key that fits nearly every camper put out. Just how safe are we in our own units if there are keys that fit nearly everyone elses units??
Noneck-- We'll have to wait and see what the real truth is with the various articles and discription of the happenings!!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 PM   #8
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The different keys don't fit the dead bolt. Each dead bolt is different. Well maybe every 100th key is the same, but who's going to check.

For the really paranoid, you can have a locksmith change your keying configuration.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:44 PM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Two things-- What guy in his right mind would leave his own pistol on the table instead of putting it somewhere in the bedroom for easy access?
That was my thought also. Mine is hidden, and within easy access for just such a situation. Being deaf, it is pretty likely a burglar could be standing over me before I woke up. For years now I've practiced the situation enough that it is almost instinct - I can sense someone is near before I open my eyes. I usually wake up before I open my eyes as well. So hopefully, that will help. Not always a good thing though, once a few years ago my husband came home from work early in the middle of the night and was standing over me rather than shaking me awake like normal. Within seconds the barrel was inches from his face. Good grief, that was scary for both of us - fortunately I trained myself to not automatically shoot until I know who or what I am shooting. (I grew up a farm girl and have been using guns since I was a kid). Never. EVER. Leave a gun where it can be easily found, much less seen. I kinda thought everyone knew that? I mean, what with, you know, kids being around and all?

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:04 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by deerrahn

I would like to know if more than 50% of this story is true. If there is a final investigation report, and the information can be proven, I would like to read it. I know you can't beleive all you read, but I beleive this story was used for wrapping fish before being printed. Have a Good Day
Dick, This story is absolutely true. My original post quoted 2 different news sources. The TV station WFMZ in Allentown and the Reading Eagle/Times newspaper in Reading, PA.
AND I have been in personal contact with folks in the area and at this point no additional information is being released.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:04 AM   #11
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Who called me Paranoid??
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Not me! Not me! I said, "For the really paranoid....."
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Evans told troopers the man demanded money, which he gave him. But when the man demanded the keys to Evans' truck, Evans refused. That's when the man shot Evans twice, hitting him once in the upper right shoulder and once in the right knee, troopers said.
Must have been a Dodge.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #14
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
Has anyone added a lock on the inside that is not accessible from the outside? I just thought that it would give me an added feeling of safety at night. Joanie
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 PM   #15
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CasaDelSol

Has anyone added a lock on the inside that is not accessible from the outside? I just thought that it would give me an added feeling of safety at night. Joanie
I would like to do this too. Is it possible, and does it void a warranty if you do?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:20 AM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Remember, locks are for honest people. If someone wants in, they will get in.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:43 AM   #17
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
The SOB rental unit at our old park in Aransas Pass had a deadbolt like on a stickhouse. I would agree with Wayne up to a point. What I want to do is make it time consuming for them to break in. That way, I have time to get the 12 ga. home defender instead of the pistol!
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 10:18 AM   #18
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
What someone needs to invent is some kind of electronic contraption where if you open the cargo doors with anything but just the right kind of key, you get a nice thick spray of mace in your face! (And some way to disable that system from inside the RV in case you lose your keys)

Actually. If you're going to go that far why not just put an alarm system on the RV that wails loudly when the cargo doors are opened without it being disabled first?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
They are not even sure the trailer was locked in the first place.
A theory going around the area is that the victim was out at the local pub tipping a few drinks. Got to bragging about his lifestyle and his finances. Even showing off his handgun. When he finally left to return to his trailer a local or 2 followed him. In his drunken stupor he left the door unlocked. Placed the handgun on the table and went to bed.

Within just a mile or so are a couple local pubs that are not the place for tourists.