Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2005, 06:10 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nice job on the Lake effect David.Our snow belt is ecpecting 8-12 inches..us///zip...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 06:19 AM   #22
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Yup---a Santa Ana is blowing through So.Cal this week. Supposed to get up to 87 today---this is the "Desert Effect".
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 07:16 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Lake effect snow is snow that hits "Snow Belt" areas and happens when cold (usually NW) wind (eg 10¼~20¼) passes over a large body of relatively warm (40¼~50¼) water (Lake Michigan, Lake Erie). The surface air warms, picking up moisture that it couldn't hold before. As this warmer air rises up into the cooler upper air, clouds and moisture condense out... SNOW. As long as this cold NW wind continues, it's like a conveyor belt.

Here, in the NW Lower Pennisula of Mich, we get a LOT of snow that they don't get even 30 miles away. We can have 50% to 200% more snow in a winter here, than the rest of the non~snowbelt areas. In Antrim Co, and some of the surrounding counties, we are considered to be in a "Snow Belt". This is also why we have such a large concentration of Ski Resorts in this part of the state.

Everyone will get their chance to see this tonight... They have just put us (NW counties only) under a Winter Storm Warning from Noon today to Noon tomorrow. We are to get 7 to 14 inches with 15 mph winds and "gusty". If you look at NW Mich tonight on any internet weather radar site, you will witness this event that they call Lake Effect Snow. You will also notice the "banding" effect that should be pretty pronounced, and you will see that counties a few miles away will receive absolutely NO snow. They are not even under a Winter Weather Advisory, let alone a Winter Storm Warning, which is just one level below a Blizzard Warning.

The only minor blessing is that because of all the clouds, at least we have a little warmer temps sometimes than the mid state regions.
2:15PM see huge lake effect snow with heavy banding around Traverse City. Gaylord down to Ludington as as far north as Sault Ste, Marie..hope you have a big snow blower..
Old 11-16-2005, 09:25 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Interesting... I made phone calls to all my kids and my parents, telling them they need to make arrangement to get plowed out in the morning. It's only supposed to get into the mid 20's tomorrow so it won't melt right away. This afternoon, I happen to think... I forgot about ME! I can see it now..."Sorry we're going to be all tied up plowing out all your relatives". Oh well... neither Cheryl or I have any to go anywhere tomorrow, anyway...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 09:27 AM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
tweir, your right... only don't you get brush fires with that!?! I think I'll take the snow. At least when it melts, you still have your property.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #26
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
You nailed that one Dave---there are still folks who lost their homes going around & around with the insurance companies & FEMA trying to get reconstruction funds. Pretty sad.
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:48 PM   #27
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You only have to worry about forest fires if your home is in an area that has potential to burn (mountains, foothills, etc.) and there is brush around. Otherwise those of us who have homes in other areas (there are lots of them [this is a really big state - okay not as big as Texas] even though what you often see on TV are fires and mud slides) get to enjoy the warm weather without worrying about fires.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:14 PM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, glad to hear that there is some good from the Santa Anna. Just like snow... many skiers thrilled about this storm... not to mention the ski resorts. But I don't ski, downhill or X~country, snowmobile, snowshoe, etc. I do ice fish occasionally. And it is pretty when it first comes down (gets old by April here, though). But, I'm with Rich... want to be able to head south or SW.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #29
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
We had -7 yesterday morning and this morning was 30 degrees warmer. We are sposed to get to near 50 on Saturday. Wondering if if i should hang Christmas lights or go camping,, lol. Happy trails.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 03:51 PM   #30
drifus
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4711
Send a message via Yahoo to drifus
Just for Glen and Lorraine

SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW SNOW

drifus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #31
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Now drifus, this wouldn't happen to be beer and brat day, would it? You're having way too much fun. Geez... now I'm hungry...
Old 11-18-2005, 01:55 AM   #32
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
His reputation precedes him!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 02:05 AM   #33
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Well it is up to 19 degrees and still snowing!! As I look out the window the Monty is sitting out there in a snowbank, its at least the right color as it blends right in. I know if it could talk it would say "HELP its time to get going SOUTH" We will be going that way Dec. 20th, can't wait. Hubby got his deer a big buck, so I ask him whats keeping us here?? We still have deer hunters here so guess I'm stuck!!!
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 05:05 AM   #34
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Roger
Congrats on the buck. I love Venison and got real good at preparing it when I lived in Upstate NY. But I don't like snow so I had to give up the venison.
Happy trails..................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Sue, how many points? Tell him congrats! It's suppose to hit the 40's Sat, then drop down again to daytime highs of 30 with 30% chance of snow each day through Thanksgiving... you know what that means... Lake Effect every day, which is extremely unpredictable.

Virgil, you have the weirdest swings in temps there in ND of anywhere in the US I have ever seen. My son was stationed at Minot AFB (when he wasn't in the Gulf and Korea). Now married to a great gal in Neepawa, MB. But your temps swing from the 50's one day to minus 10 the next, then two days later back to the 50's. And this is NOT an isolated event. Seems to be the norm. How do you keep the cold & flu viruses away???
Old 11-18-2005, 02:06 PM   #36
rogersuemegan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3579
Send a message via AIM to rogersuemegan
Well hope this makes sense!!!! He thought it was a big doe, and had a doe permit so went ahead and shot it, when he got to the deer and went to drag it, it was a antler less buck! He said it looked like it never had horns, but was about 180 lbs! Two years ago a friend shot a doe with horns!!! Roger has hunted since he was 15 years old and has never missed a year when he didn't get at least one deer, thats 45 years and many years has taken more than one. It is legal hear in MI to take more with the proper license. I have been married to this man for 41 years and he LOVES to hunt and fish! He has been, hunting in Alaska, Montana, Canada, and all points in between!! He has had Parkinson's disease now for 7 years, but is doing well with his meds. I want him to hunt and fish for as long as he can even when I have to go with him!!! We both know that it is our love of the Lord that has got us threw many, many trials in our lives, and will keep on walking with us on this walk threw our lives.
rogersuemegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 03:30 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My # 1 son got a 11 point buck from Texas last week. I was a hunter of many years in Western PA but those mountains are a lot higher than they once were and we gave it up a couple of years ago.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:59 PM   #38
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
60's now in Corpus Christi at 9:50 PM, some wind off the Gulf, chillier than we thought it might be. Heading further south in the morning toward South Padre Island enrt to RGV and BPV.
Texas Hill country (Fredericksburg) a few days ago was neat, but downright windy and cold.
(Steve, the burgers at Porky's were great...!!!)

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 04:11 PM   #39
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
You're a dedicated wife, Sue. Your sacrifices will not go unrewarded... because you're not looking for a reward.
God Bless.

jpf, really got an unsually cold arctic blast down into the central US, all the way down in to Mexico. That's what caused all those bad storms this week. Should rebound soon.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:16 PM   #40
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
Your right dsprik. I have lived here 30 years and have seen temps from -52 with wind to a high of 115. Colds and flu seem to be worse when the temps are moderate in a mild winter. Everyone seems to like a good cold snap as that kills all the flu bugs. We got a T shirt from work that showed the date of Feb. 1, 1996. It had the caption "Operation Deep Freeze" "-40F and -110 wind chill". I was pretty scared one time. I was called out to an alarm at work one night. It was cold with a -85 wind chill and we had a problem that I fairly quickly repaired. I was about to leave and discovered when I got out, my arm had brushed the door lock and i was locked out of my pickup in the middle of nowhere in a snow storm. Out came the wrench and I broke the passenger window. I thought if the company wouldnt pay the bill i would. The cell phone lay on the dash and it seemed to be laughing at me before i broke the window. Not my proudest moment.. lol.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote