Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2008, 07:25 AM   #1
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Digital Converter Box Placement?

OK you techie folks. Got my converter box for the 2004 TV and batwing antenna. Where should it be hooked in? Ideas or suggestions for my spring installation after the Feb. switchover? BTW, I have not even opened the box on the converter.

capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:32 AM   #2
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
capn

If you have a satellite recvr, the coax from the bat wing should connect to the digital box and then from the digital box into the antenna coax connection on the sat recvr. If the dig box has RCA jacks,, yellow/red/white, you can connect those to the sat recvr instead of the coax. OR if the TV has multiple RCA inputs, you can connect the digital box direct to the TV. In either, the sat rcvr or the TV can act as the "A/B" switch between the Over-the-Air antenna or the Sat. Receiver. (I hope this is not too technical, doe sit help?)

This applies depending on the manner in which the coax has been installed.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Bob, I thought you didn't need the converter if you are receiving Sat. I was going to get one for the bedroom TV (Analog) and put it in the closet and just run ant to box to TV. Is this not correct? Am I missing something here??
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:38 AM   #4
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
If you want to receive the local out of the air channels you will need a converter for each TV. If you don't use the batwing you won't need them.
Bob (different Bob)
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Phil, you are correct. If you have an analog TV and plan to use the bat wings to receive the local stations, the ant wire (after the amp, green light thing) goes to the box(analog to digital converter), and then a wire from the box to the TV.
Remember you need to place the box where you can see it as the remote for the box, controls what you see (Channel selection and volume, and on and off).

If you only use Sat, Campground Cable, or DVD (and NOT over the air), then you do not need the box.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:29 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Thanks!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I have two boxes. I put one above the fireplace on the dvd player. The second I put in the bedroom. I hope to have this problem eliminated by next summer with a HDTV in both holes! Well I hope santa got that request anyway.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Rogue is correct. The box has to be sight in order to use the remote. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 03:31 AM   #9
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Thanks, folks. You confirmed my suspicions. I'll have to figure out where to put the box "in sight" for the remote! Yikes. Another remote for the rig!!!
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:21 AM   #10
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I'm hoping to have a new remote to make the whole rig into a stealth unit! That way I can pull into a campground and they will never know I'm there! Thanks to all for your ideas and I'm like Okie Guy and hoping the wish list for Xmas comes through for a couple new sets for the Monte!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:14 AM   #11
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
To clarify, the digital box will allow for receiving "over the air", batwing antenna, digital TV channels. The present analog over the air antenna signal will stop in February 2009, also using the batwing antenna. So, IF you have a new flat screen digital tv, then the digital box is NOT necessary. For the most part, any TV that is a tube tv, is an analog tuner tv. To continue to receive the local over the air tv channels, a digital box will be required, for each tv that you want to watch the over the air channels. The satellite providers will take care of this for you, if you are in your local tv viewing area for local channels. CATV providers will also take care of this for the local channels in the area you are camping, if you connect to their catv service.
Does any of this help?
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote