Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-16-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Drop Extension Legs of Landing Gear Question

Sometimes I really have to manhandle the landing gear leg extensions to retract (or extend)them. I had to use a hammer to tap them back up. The JT Stabilizer set screws are loose so that is not the problem. Would silicone or grease make this easier? Don't believe they are bent because we have no problem with the landing gear (okay, a blown fuse every now and then but have learned to cycle 10-15 seconds at a time and let the hydraulics rest).

fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Fernsco,

Absolutely use some type of lubricant on them. Preferably a "dry" type. That way you won't attract as much dirt. You should never have to hammer them either up or down. They should just drop down as soon as you pull the pin.

On Edit: I would not use any kind of "regular" grease as that would attract way too much dirt.

Good luck.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
My dealer doesn't recommend any lubrication on the extensions. I suppose the "dry" lube would work and not attract dirt and dust. I had lubed mine a few years ago, before Keystone replaced one of the legs, and they also told me not to lube. So, I don't.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
You might try a good power wash cleaning. You could have debris up there that is restricting the movement. Those legs are pretty sloppy inside their sliding counterpart. I only had the Hanna for 1 year, but never had a problem with the legs sliding up, or down.

Totally agree that no type of lube should be used. You are just asking for sticky things to stick to it, like dirt, dust, bugs, etc.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Since I have repaired the gears I know the removal of the leg is not hard and would completely disassemble it checking for a binding spot. Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
I just clean them every once in a while. Dirt builds up and makes the condition you describe.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #7
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Make sure the bolts through the leg that attach the JT's are not to tight.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 02:45 PM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Fernsco,

Hookman has a great reminder regarding the bolts. You can get them so tight that the legs will have a hard time moving. I also clean mine on a regular basis then apply the dry lube. So far no problem with dirt.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:07 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I would also suggest checking the bolts that attach the stabilizers to the leg brackets and to the frame brackets. It is OK if the struts seem a little "floppy". The bolts should be loose enough so there is no binding. The struts will still tighten up when you put pressure on them when setting up. My legs free fall to the ground when I pull the pin. And they are easy to raise back up when I get ready to pull out. I put some white lithium grease on all the stabilizer bolt swivel points but not on the legs themselves.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 AM   #10
fernsco
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8144
Thanks one and all. Next time down at the lot I will loosen the JT bolts a tad and also clean the legs to see if that helps.
fernsco is offline   Reply With Quote