Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Liberty Limited

As a career railroader, events concerning trains will tend to catch my eye. Today something happened that makes me proud to be a railroader and more importantly, proud to be an American.

There are a group of railroad buffs that own their own private railroad cars. These things are so plush that they make a million dollar conversion coach look like a pop-up camper. Today, 18 of these cars were assembled into a train called the Liberty Limited for the sole purpose of transporting our wounded service members and their guests from Walter Reed Army Medical Center and Bethesda Naval Hospital to the Army-Navy football game in Philadelphia. These folks were treated to gourmet meals both to and from the game and were given seats on the 50 yard line. There were three groups of people that were specifically barred from riding the train - press, politicians and VIP's. The car owners did not want anyone interfering with the veteran's enjoyment of the trip or the game.

The best part of all of this was that the transportation, the food and the game were all given at no cost. The use of all of the railroad cars was donated by their owners. Several of these cars are available for charter at about $5000/day per car. The cars on this train are based all over the country. The freight railroads agreed to move them to Washington without cost. Amtrak assembled the train and ran it to Philadelphia, again without cost. Several corporations even donated items to a goodie bag that was given to each vet.

A friend posted some pictures of the train on a web site called subchat.com. I wish I could have been there myself to salute these kids.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 04:26 PM   #2
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Nice to see that special treatment for the real VIP people. Gina's son Cody is in Baghdad right now finishing up his last 4 months as a solder medic. With a Purple Heart and Combat Medic Medal of Honor he has already has been through a lot. Everyday a prayer is said that he comes home safe.

I too have had the privlidge of being the conductor hauling those same cars from Chicago to Greenbay, WI back in 1996. I have to say you are right about first class and then some. VIP treatment is not even close to what an experience they are having!! Our Salute to the boys and happy holidays to everyone. It is because of every veteran that has served for us we can enjoy moments like this!!

Remember the.......
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
what a wonderful thing to do. My hat is off to all the people that helped do this for our troops.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
What a great story! Just makes me proud to be an American!!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 01:43 AM   #5
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
This is a great post and it so nice to see the brave young people that risk their lives treated as special as they deserve to be. All countries have great politicians but all countries also have jerks in suits that call themselves politicians and for this group a livestock car hauling swine is too good. Making good pigs ride with bad politicians would only make for bitter bacon.

Once again , great to see the real heroes getting the treatment they deserve.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:56 AM   #6
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Great story and thanks to the wonderful people with big hearts. Nice to hear when people are doing great things for our soldiers.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #7
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
It's wonderful how everyone came together to honor our servicemen. They deserve the best.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #8
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
Great idea and thing that these folks did. I certainly could not afford to do this sort of thing. My hat is off to these people for doing this for our troops. Our troops are the best in the world. No politicians, news people or publicity hunters, "GREAT". Thanks for puting this on the post.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:19 AM   #9
minkid
Established Member

M.O.C. #6545
Pretty awesome,Tom & Gina are our children Cody is our grandson[are we proud ya bet] nice lights guys.
minkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 08:24 AM   #10
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Great story!! It's nice to see our VETs treated with the respect they deserve. Any of you that have family or friends serving, please pass along our thanks and assure them of our prayers, especially during the holiday season. Merry Christmas!!
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote