Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Internet & Cell Phones
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
connecting 2 pc's

I know I ask this before but have lost the info given. I have the verizon air card in my laptop, now Nancy has bought her a computer, and I would like to know what type of router that can be used that will accept the verizon air card where both laptops can get online. I have the air card , not the USB type. thanks again
Tom

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Tom,
I suggest you contact 3GStores, Alex or one of them will advise which router can accept your Air Card. Or you can call you service provider and ask them the same question.
  • Some questions you will have to answer:

Do you want just WIFI, Cat 5 cable or either for each computer connection
    How fare apart will the computer be
    Do you want a printer on this network?

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Alex Sian
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7171
Send a message via AIM to Alex Sian
also helps to know what model the card is.

if its the aircard 595 or pc5750, my recommendation is the Kyocera KR2

however, you may want to consider upgrading from the pc card because most new laptops don't even have a card slot anymore, and that will become a problem for you in the future.
Alex Sian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #4
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
EVDOalex, gave the info on what we needed and Delaine ordered it and will be here on Thursday. We ordered from the 3gStore, very simple and professional. We are looking forward to the new router. Even thought I am bigger than Delaine, and of course I always do what she says, I do get to use my Laptop when she says so. Live is good. She even went to Lazy Days and looked at the Motor Homes but didn't find what she wants . Thanks to EVDOalex for the info. GBY..
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Dang!! that Kyocera KR2 router, those people are sure PROUD" of that router, its "only" $200.00 lol! plus it said you have to have a data plan with my provider to use it. Guess I'll just use the one computer except when we are where free wifi is in a campground. thanks anyway
Tom
Old 01-06-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I know the feeling, I think we just paid $214.00 and that was the sale price. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tom41

I know I ask this before but have lost the info given. I have the verizon air card in my laptop, now Nancy has bought her a computer, and I would like to know what type of router that can be used that will accept the verizon air card where both laptops can get online. I have the air card , not the USB type. thanks again
Tom
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tom41

Dang!! that Kyocera KR2 router, those people are sure PROUD" of that router, its "only" $200.00 lol! plus it said you have to have a data plan with my provider to use it. Guess I'll just use the one computer except when we are where free wifi is in a campground. thanks anyway
Tom
Tom,
You say you have an Air Card in the first quote. Is it a Cell phone Air Card or a WIFI card? If it is a WIFI card then the second quote is correct. If it is an AIR Card then it should work with the router and you existing plan.
I know the Router we used (demoed) at the Fall Rally from Alex 3GStore accepted two types of Air Cards. One was the USB 727 cause that is what I have. The other was a PCMCIA (I Think) that is why I suggest you check with a competent individual.
Yes the cost of the router is about 200plus but the one demonstrated has multiple features making it better than the $100 small router I have.
Good luck.
Cheers,

Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:23 PM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
thanks John, yes I have the verizon air card, PCMCIA , not the USB type
thanks again
Tom