Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
rloechel
Established Member

M.O.C. #14355
Window heat

Did a search of the form, but did not find any ifno. The question is: What are people using on their windows to block the sun's heat. I am in southern Mississippi and get the afternoon western sun. Heats up the Montana and AC units don't get a break.

Tks,

Rodger

rloechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Fordplus5er
Established Member

M.O.C. #17346
I haven't tried it but you could try taking a "sunshade" like people use in their car windshield and cut it to fit Monty's windows. In theory it should work.
Fordplus5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #3
lostshakerofsalt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10012
I purchased a roll of radiant barrier bubble wrap at Home Depot and was able to make an insert for each of the windows in our Montana. We now have a complete set for all of the windows. Really helps out with heat reduction and when we were in Alaska they worked as shades for the midnight sun.
Home is where we park it
lostshakerofsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 03:50 PM   #4
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
Bought some of the bubble wrap type material from Camping World last winter. It has a reflective foil exterior which works quite well at reflecting heat back out of the window. Is sold in rolls and I cut it to fit each of the windows and placed it against the window and pulled down the day/night shade to keep it in place. Worked quite well and was inexpensive.
We did notice some units, particularly motor homes, had custom made sun shades mounted to the exterior of the windows. Expect these would work better as they are blocking the heat before it enters through the windows. I believe you can still see out the window with these in place which would be a real advantage. Probably a little more pricey. May look into these in the future. Till then it's foil bubble wrap for me.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have Magna Shades on the rear windows and awnings on the side windows in the living/dining room. We have reflective material on the skylight in the bathroom, insulated pads in all the vents and slide toppers on all slides. The windows aren't the only place the heat is coming from, slide toppers do make a difference in the heat.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:54 PM   #6
warren0620
Established Member

M.O.C. #12547
We had custom exterior shades made for our windows. They really work well and you can still see out of them. We had them made in Apache Junction, AZ two years ago.
warren0620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 06:19 PM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
lots of stuff out there...... aluminum installed works well.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:30 AM   #8
winter texan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7510
Same as Charli we bought a 4 x 10 foot roll of reflective foil at Camping World ($20) and cut to fit behind shades. Currently in South FL and helps.
winter texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 06:29 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I put a Carefree Sunshade over the back of my rear window ... it rolls up for travel and rolls down and locks into place for use.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:32 AM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Same as Charli. Bought a 4X10 foot role ad Lowes.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We use a sunshade fabric cut to fit our back window and attached with Velcro and use reflective foil in the other window areas. We also have those square pillow type of cushions that we install in the 3 square roof vents when they are not being used to remove air.

All of this helps to keep the rig cool.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:44 PM   #12
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
That reflective bubble wrap stuff is available at both HD and Lowe's. Got something like a 4' by 24' roll for $25 or so at the local one. That covered almost all the windows for our trip last year to Arizona & NM. Didn't have any problems keeping the inside to below eighty degrees even when 100 outdoors. Thinking about getting another roll for this year's trip to northern CA, just to be on the safe side. All you've to to do is cut a piece slightly larger than the window and your shade will keep it in place nicely.
Old 06-17-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
I ordered carefree sunshades for all my big windows from OZ. they made a big difference. And, they give I discount to MOC members
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:08 PM   #14
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I am curious if everyone that posted on this topic has single pane windows? Also are they clear glass or tinted? Mine are tinted dual pane and it seems to help with heat, I will find out more as we use the unit this summer. We do have the sun shades but like previously stated i would think it would be beneficial to stop the heat before it is inside. I was in a unit at a dealership with the rear window facing the afternoon sun and the curtains were open. It was like standing in front of an oven. This was right as the salesman said there was no real difference between the single pane and the dual pane windows except cost. I still ordered mine with dual pane as I had very good luck with with dual pane windows in two other units. Lot easier to heat and cool the unit was my experience. I guess I will find out if I wasted my money or not.

Tom Marty
Old 06-18-2015, 01:33 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Charli

Bought some of the bubble wrap type material from Camping World last winter. It has a reflective foil exterior which works quite well at reflecting heat back out of the window. Is sold in rolls and I cut it to fit each of the windows and placed it against the window and pulled down the day/night shade to keep it in place. Worked quite well and was inexpensive.
We did notice some units, particularly motor homes, had custom made sun shades mounted to the exterior of the windows. Expect these would work better as they are blocking the heat before it enters through the windows. I believe you can still see out the window with these in place which would be a real advantage. Probably a little more pricey. May look into these in the future. Till then it's foil bubble wrap for me.

Do you know is this A Camco Brand Producy?
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:08 AM   #16
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dam Worker

I am curious if everyone that posted on this topic has single pane windows? Also are they clear glass or tinted? Mine are tinted dual pane and it seems to help with heat, I will find out more as we use the unit this summer. We do have the sun shades but like previously stated i would think it would be beneficial to stop the heat before it is inside. I was in a unit at a dealership with the rear window facing the afternoon sun and the curtains were open. It was like standing in front of an oven. This was right as the salesman said there was no real difference between the single pane and the dual pane windows except cost. I still ordered mine with dual pane as I had very good luck with with dual pane windows in two other units. Lot easier to heat and cool the unit was my experience. I guess I will find out if I wasted my money or not.

Tom Marty
Ours are single pane and tinted - from the factory, I'm certain.
Old 06-18-2015, 04:07 AM   #17
rloechel
Established Member

M.O.C. #14355
Tks to all for the great suggestions. I'll post my solution and let all know how it works.

Rodger
rloechel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #18
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
Check out Blinds.com or BudgetBlinds. We replaced all of the shades with the day/night folding blinds. The night blinds block total light due to an aluminum foil on the inside of the fold. On really hot days it blocks the light and the heat and at night it provides total privacy and also helps with heat or cold. A bonus, no string issues.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:38 AM   #19
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
We use this product and love it. It keeps the heat off of the window because it has an air space between it and the glass. You have no view problems with it either. I was told, the window film and the silver reflective stuff can cause the glass to heat up to much and cause problems if you have DUAL pane glass. We had tint on our other Monty with no problems. http://www.ezsnapdirect.com/
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:39 AM   #20
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
No matter what a salesman said about pros and cons of dual pane ... they do make a difference both summer and winter well enough to easily justify their added cost. Back to heat and windows ... you also find the black aluminum frame around each window just permiates waves of heat on sunny days. Put your hand above the window valence ... you'll be amazed at the heat just rolling out from under them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote