Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Question about the LED strip we are all putting in

Has anyone figured out the current draw (In either amps or wattage) for this 16 ft. LED strip vs. the "old school" light bulb that came in the stock orange porch light?

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I don't know your answer, but if your worried about overloading your porch light switch or the wire in the circuit ... stop worrying.

On edit ... although I ran my LEDs straight from a 12V source, the A/C - D/C power supply that came with my LED's is (output rated at 12V/5amps) (input rated at 120VAC 1.6amps)
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dieselguy

I don't know your answer, but if your worried about overloading your porch light switch or the wire in the circuit ... stop worrying.

On edit ... although I ran my LEDs straight from a 12V source, the A/C - D/C power supply that came with my LED's is (output rated at 12V/5amps) (input rated at 120VAC 1.6amps)
No, I'm not worried about overloading anything. I just am curious how this 16ft. strip of LEDs will compare to the single automotive style bulb that was originally in the porch light when it comes to battery draw. Will it be more or less?
Thanks
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:23 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Here's a handy website that you just click on a bulb and it tells you all its specs. http://www.jwspeaker.com/bulbs/#product=bulb-1141. Assuming you have the equivalent of an 1141 bulb in your porch lite ... that's about 1.5 amp. I don't keep my LED's at full brightness, so if the power supply is rated at 5 amp that came with my set ... I'd guess I'm drawing about 3 amps. If I drop by my fiver, I'll check actual draw with the onboard display I put in for whole house usage.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 06:53 AM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
My Trimetric shows 1.2 amp at 12 volts for the multi colored lights at full illumination. This is for the 16.5 foot LEDs.
Safe travles.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote