Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2012, 03:05 AM   #21
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Hi

I would suggest he measures his trailer unhooked from the TV and level.

Phil P
Never towed mine under a bridge when unhooked, that`s why I measured mine while hookedup to my TV.

helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #22
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156

We have the 3665 and I put the identical AC on the front, as on the back, so higher profile.I only come up with 13.2 and routinely go under a 13.6 railroad bridge near the house. I measure 12.2 to the roof from the ground, and add 12 inches for the AC.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #23
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
When the weather gets better here and I can hook up to the trailer I will have to measure it!!! Planning to go back to Illinois this summer to visit our son and our first grandson, so I will have to pay close attention to the overpasses while on the road!!

Having an accident is not something I want to have with (or without) the 5th wheel.
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
moutard2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10948
I have a 3750FL and questioned Keystone on the height. Here's what they had to say ...

"In 2010 the Standard Air Conditioner was located in the Rear Bedroom. When the Air Conditioner was back in the Bedroom the height of the 3750 was 12'9". The Highest point on most Fifth Wheels is the Air Conditioning unit. In 2011 we moved the Standard Air Conditioner forward to the kitchen area and that raised the overall height 8 inches. In 2012 Model year we moved the air conditioner back to the rear bedroom bringing the height back down to 12"9"."

So at least for the 3750 if you have a kitchen mounted air conditioner, the factory height is 13'5" (12'9" plus 8"). I have G949 tires (add an inch or so) and have been in lots of gas stations where the canopy is indicated at 13'6". The lowest point is usually the lights. I've had my Frau eyeball the clearance as I've driven under the canopies and the air conditioner has cleared the canopy and the lights by lots so I have no idea as to the height of my unit. I will get topside prior to the next trip and do an accurate measurement. In any event, it looks as if the air conditioner will add 8 inches to any maximum factory height if it's mounted on the highest point of any Montana.
moutard2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #25
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Good info to know Ron, and it is interesting on their web-site, that I had not noticed until your post that our 2011 model is indeed listed at 13'5" so with the 614's I am pushing it close to 13'6". Like you, I will not feel comfortable until I measure it while hooked up so I know for sure what it actually is. I need to make darn sure that the satellite is not higher than that main air conditioner!! It appears that the 3750 is the only model that has exceeded the 13' factory height, interesting......and a little bit scary for unsuspecting owners (such as me)!! Wonder what the play is on the suspension on bumpy roads (like in West Virginia)?? Surely the rig could not bounce more than 2 or 3 inches in an upwards direction?? Any body got any thoughts?
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #26
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Never towed mine under a bridge when unhooked, that`s why I measured mine while hookedup to my TV.
Hi

You have to start with a standard. The trailer height posted by Keystone is for a level trailer.

larrymul’s TV could be a 2009 Duramax 4 WD with airbags and larger tires.

Around here that makes the truck 12 inches higher than mine and that would raise the front of the trailer to a point of about 13’9”.

He needs to level the trailer and measure the height to see if the trailer or the TV is the problem.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #27
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by helmick

Hi

You have to start with a standard. The trailer height posted by Keystone is for a level trailer.

larrymul’s TV could be a 2009 Duramax 4 WD with airbags and larger tires.

Around here that makes the truck 12 inches higher than mine and that would raise the front of the trailer to a point of about 13’9”.

He needs to level the trailer and measure the height to see if the trailer or the TV is the problem.

Phil P
Sorry, I thought he wanted to tow it, not park it.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:59 PM   #28
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by larrymul

Hooked to the truck, sitting level, it's actually 13' 8".
Larrymul OP clearly stated that he was hooked to the truck and the rig was sitting level. That tells me that the issue is not with the truck but rather with the rig. Gotta go with Ron on this one. The 3750 if equipped with a full size AC in the middle as ours is (the front AC is located above the axles so the rig's aspect with the truck has no impact) and with G614 tires is taller than any other rig that Montana puts out. Standard or no standard if my rig seems to add up the 13'5.5" (I have really got to check that part out myself) and I come to an overpass that states 13'6" I really am not thinking about what height the rig is at when it is sitting still, I am more worried about the accuracy of the posted underpass, whether my rig is going to bounce (Larrymul mentioned this also), and how accurate my measurement is. I am wondering if the Big Sky package includes a different suspension which may also add the additional height he is measuring. I feel that he now knows what his limitations are, and I hope the purpose was to make sure the rest of us know. Evidently, I did not know since this thread has really made me cognizant of needing to know exactly what height we are pulling behind us! And the only way to know that is to measure the highest point on the rig when the trailer is hooked to the truck. To me personally, nothing else matters. Thanks Larrymul for letting myself and hopefully others know that the listed height is irrelevant. And last question, was your height measured to the front AC and is it located in the kitchen/dining area?
Bingo
Old 03-14-2012, 04:11 AM   #29
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
While I have not put a tape measure to the trailer, the trailer is shorter than then the truck (2"~3"). My truck is a full height condo that you see all day running up/down the highway. The exhaust tip is 2" higher than the back of the sleeper. At 13'9" you would be 3" taller than most Van semi trailers.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:47 PM   #30
larrymul
Established Member

M.O.C. #11965
Bingo, yes, measured to the top of the AC located over the kitchen area. I have the second AC in the BR, but as mentioned earlier, it's lower.

BTW, I don't have any suspension lift and factory tires all around. The unit sits perfectly level hooked, measured on level flat blacktop.
larrymul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #31
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

I also always thought that Keystone's height included the main air conditioner as well?
You would think since it is not an option, it should be included in the height. Could see if it was optional not including it.

seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:04 PM   #32
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:

We just returned recently from taking delivery of a 2012 3750FL in Arizona. The Keystone website says my unit is 12' 9" high, just for kicks I measured it with a long bar and level. Hooked to the truck, sitting level, it's actually 13' 8".
I see you have the Big Sky. The G614's would only be half inch or so I think Bingo said. Does the Big Sky have any additional suspension upgrades that would increase the height? I'm also wondering if Keystone is using different brands of AC units which could be affecting the different numbers people are getting if they are taller or shorter??

Old 03-16-2012, 12:03 AM   #33
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:

Bingo, yes, measured to the top of the AC located over the kitchen area. I have the second AC in the BR, but as mentioned earlier, it's lower.

BTW, I don't have any suspension lift and factory tires all around. The unit sits perfectly level hooked, measured on level flat blacktop.
It is a violation of state and federal law to operate a vehicle on the Interstate highways that is higher than 13’6”.

I think you need to contact Keystone. They have put a statement on the ID sticker stating the trailer meets DOT standards.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:18 AM   #34
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
I lean towards agreeing with PhilP on this one.
I know plenty of people who drive semi and carry-all and I have also. I work in the heavy highway construction field for 20+ years and the majic number has been 13'6". After that you need an "Oversize Load" permit.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:10 AM   #35
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I don't mean to bash anyone, but I think we need to be careful in stating what the regulations are without researching them. There is no Federal Height Limitation on vehicles, the law for height restrictions is the responsibility of the state and it actually varies by state as well. For instance California, Idaho, Missouri, New Mexico, North Dakota and Washington have height limitations of 14 feet. Indiana is 13.5' (13'6" - which would appear to make the 2011 3750FL legal at it's Keystone listed height in Indiana), the majority of states are at 13.5' (13'6") and Colorado is at 13 feet. There are other states that do not have codifed height limits. I would be pretty certain that Keystone, by listing the 3750 height at 13'5" had to do some sort of measurement to satisfy their legal gurus. Whether that was hooked to a truck or not is not clearly specified in law, and could possible be an arguing point. And just to add to the discussion, the design minimum height recommendation for bridge clearances on the Interstate highway system is 14 feet in urban areas and 16 feet in rural areas. Comments, and verifiable sources to dispute this are welcome since we all (particularly me with the unexpectedly high Montana) obviously need to be aware of the laws!
Bingo

on edit: Corrected Indiana height per Krusher's link
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #36
Krusher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11244
You are correct Bingo. Check the below link

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #37
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Bingo
Good information, we should all know our heights when towing. It would be hard for any trailer manufacture to know the towing height when we have so many different TV.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:27 AM   #38
seahunter
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11675
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Krusher

You are correct Bingo. Check the below link

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Good link, thanks Krusher!

And if you cut and paste it into Excel, and then freeze the header row and the state column, it's a lot easier to read.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:13 AM   #39
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Bingo,
I have a 2011 3750FL (made in 2010) and I measured mine on three seperate occasions. Hooked up to my 2007 Ford F-350 dually my maximum height is 13' 2" at the front A/C w/G614 tires on the RV. My rig is level when hooked up to the truck. My philosophy has always been that specs are good, but measure it yourself with the vehicle you use for towing.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #40
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Kyle,
Am I correct in assuming that the front AC is a full height model? I am anxious to see what ours actually measures (I would fully expect similar to what you have), and will be going to the mini-storage to hook up the truck and do the measuring this weekend. Not camping for four weeks, but the suspense initiated as a result of this thread is too much for me to ignore!
Bingo