Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Go west young man...and woman!

We are starting to look at next spring, probably mid May, heading west. Thinking about 3 months on the road, provided the stock market can keep from collapse. Must sees on the way from Tampa include Bryce Canyon, Vegas, Yosemite, and then visit number one son in San Fran. After that, north along the coast, then back across Canada to Toronto then home. A quick look at the atlas makes me wonder about how to approach Yosemite; from 395 or from the west? And where to try to stay in that area. It's gonna be a long winter trying to figure this one out! Any help would be wonderful. I know I will have several follow up questions.

washley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Walt and Carol,
Hope we get to see you on your West Coast trip. The Spring National Rally is about the middle of April this year and is being held in Central Arizona at a tiny little town called Camp Verde. If that works into your schedule it would be a good jumping off point. Not only that but you'd get an 'ear full' of good traveling and camping info!!!

Approaching from the East (395) is very dependent on the weather. If a late snow storm comes through it can be June or July before they open the road. But it is a grand way to enter the park (or so I've been told) because I've not been that route before. I believe Bill and Helen Moll recently took that route. Have a great trip. Dennis

On edit: Sorry for not paying attention... I see you won't be out this direction until May! So that leaves out the Spring Rally. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 03:39 AM   #3
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Dennis, thanks for the tip. We have to wait for mid May to leave, or our bowling team mates will have a cow! It would probably be late May/early June by the time we got to Yosemite, so I guess the snows could still be a problem. I know late May snow storms here in Florida are a bear!! :P
Old 12-31-2011, 03:42 AM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
If your headed to Canada what about a stop at Yellowstone? If you have never been to Yellowstone it is sooooo worth the trip.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:13 AM   #5
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Other than a late snow the route up from 395 is steep but no big deal. The thing about coming up 395 is the scenery is outstanding. Also our western regional rally is in Oregon at 7 feathers RV Resort in Canyonville and I beleive the dates will be in mid June.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:00 AM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Fire5er,
Great suggestion to visit Yellowstone. So much to see and do and so little time.

Don,
I had forgotten about the 7 Feathers gathering! Thanks for the reminder and thanks for the info on entering Yosemite from the East side.

Walt,
You really have to watch out for those FL snow storms! But your experience will see you through those cold days. Have a great trip. Dennis
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
The last time I was in Yosemite (May, 2011), there are now signs prohibiting rigs of our size from entering Yosemite from Hwy 395. I remember this because I was coming in from the East and noticed these new signs and took note that I would not be able to drive this road with my Monty. I don't know it the signs were temporary, so I strongly recommend giving the Ranger Station a call to confirm. You'll need to provide the length, height and width of the rig and trailer and the combination of both. Unfortunately, I have met Rangers that are inconsistent with their answers and knowledge.

If you plan to RV in Yosemite Valley you will also have a concern that not all sites will fit a big RV or fifth wheel. Call ahead ASAP for a required recommendation. Yosemite is one of my favorite places to visit these days. I have been there at least once a year for the past 5 years - late spring, mid summer, end of summer. It's different but beautiful every time.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:34 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
The road in from Lee Vining (395) will be a real adventure pulling a trailer. I would try to miss that. I hit mirrors with a class C (rental) with just the truck. Also fill up in Bishop before you head up the hill as they are real proud of their fuel up on 395.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #9
washley1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9053
Lots of feed back; where to begin? I'll try from the top. We went to Yellowstone two years ago. Want to go back, but there are a few other places to see that we have not, so they get top priority on this trip. The regional sounds great, but with our son and his lady to visit with in San Fran, we won't be up as far as Oregon by mid June, at least I don't think so. I figure 395 would be outstanding, but if we can't get through with the 5er we'll go around the other way. And if bigmurf is right I would rather not whack the mirrors off my TV! I also thought the sites in Yosemite did not have water and electric, so we are thinking we might have to stay outside the park. I guess the rangers can inform us if there are any sites that we could use inside. I will call the rangers before we go. Lastly, my Florida snow experience is supplemented with 2 winters spent in Alaska in 71 and 72. Been trying to hide from that stuff ever since!!
Old 01-01-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Walt and Carol,
Here is a link to a very informative site regarding Yosemite. Glad you have the Alaska snow experience. I know it must come in very handy in Florida.

I think Bill and Helen Moll took the eastern route into the park just last year or the year before. There might be some temporary restrictions or narrowing of the road but don't think they would have a road open that was knocking off many mirrors. I know they indicated there was a downgrade as you neared the western side of the park that grabbed their attention! I'm going to stop talking about that route since I've not dragged our Monty over that road. You'll have to call the park and or go by what info you get here (even if it may be conflicting). I do recommend the 395 route. The eastern side of the Sierras is awesome! It is especially beautiful during the winter when a storm tries to climb over the mountains! We sat at the foot of Mt. Whitney and just enjoyed nature putting on an unbelievable display! Highway 395 is a good 2 lane road. There are sections of 3 lanes and even a section of 4 lanes (near Mammoth Lakes).
Dennis

National Park Service Yosemite info.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:35 AM   #11
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
We stayed at Yosemite Pines RV park in Groveland last time we were there and I would recommend it. There is also a NACO park in the area and we have stayed there but it was 10 years ago and we were in a Class C at the time.

We stayed at Yosemite Pines in out 5th wheel. Most of the spots in Yosemite Park itself are too small for our Monty. I would recommend staying outside the Park and just going in for the day.

By the way you do not want to take the Wards Ferry Rd. from Groveland over to Hyw 108 even with just your tv. We did it in out 07 Dodge MegaCab and never again and I will drive on almost anything. This road is 10 feet wide with a cliff on both sides and there is NO place to pass another rig any where on it. At the bottom is a bridge we had to jockey back and forth to get over. If you have a subcompact its and interesting ride.

As I said before coming up from Hyw 395 is not big deal unless they are doing major road work.

Hope you have a good trip and come to the Western Regional Rally in Oregon if you can it is a really good time.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Most of what you want to see in Yosemite is on the west side of the park. I'd recommend you park the rig on the west side somewhere.

If you return home along the Canadian border, then I'd VERY highly recommend Glacier National Park in Montana and Waterton Lakes National Park just across the line in Canada. But July and August are about the only times the weather is likely to cooperate. Going to the Sun Road in Glacier usually opens in early July (I said usually ). I'm not sure when it closes but would guess September, probably fairly early in the month.

There are several parks relatively close to Yosemite. We stayed at a park in Greeley Hill, CA. When we were there you could get the Passport America rate (50% off) for as long as you wanted to stay. It's a bit of a drive into the NP but so is just about every other rv park / campground outside the NP.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #13
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
We did a West Coast tour in 2010 and the details are posted on our trip journal--see the website on my sign out page. We toured Sequoia NP from the west side and then moved to an Escapee park for Yosemite NP. It was about 80 miles away but it was the best we could do and it did work out--all on the west side. I don't know what the conditions of the entrance roads to Yosemite are now but in 2010 it would have been difficult to get a Monty into the park and then the RV spaces in the park are very small. Check out my trip journal and send me any questions you might have.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM   #14
rsimas

M.O.C. #12181
I live about an hour and a half from the Highway 120 entrance to Yosemite and know the area fairly well. The previous posts are correct about 395 being beautiful. The Eastern Sierras are very pretty as is the park itself. You would be turning on Highway 120 from 395 to enter the park and there is a pretty steep downhill not long after you enter the park. As far as timing goes, so far this year, we have gotten very little snow so there is certainly a chance Tioga Pass will be open. Normally it does not open until Memorial day at the soonest and last year it opened much later than that because of heavy snow. As others have mentioned the camprounds in the park are not large RV friendly. I understand it is very difficult to get reservations also. My suggestion is to come in from the west either on Highway 120 or on Highway 41. Highway 140 also goes into the park but mudslides took out part of the Highway a couple years ago so now they are limiting the length of vehicles until they get the highway fixed. It is too bad because 140 follows the Merced River all the way into the park and is very scenic. If you need any other info on the area feel free to let me know.
rsimas is offline   Reply With Quote