Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2011, 01:04 PM   #21
The Weekenders
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8863
I purchased my 04 F 350 6.0 PSD at 100,000 miles 4 years ago and a buddy who has the same year PSD turned me on to CASE/IH Number one 0w-40 Synthetic. He has been using that in his pickup after the first oil change from new. It is spendy but with winter temps of 25-35 below zero, it starts so easy with the 0w-40. In addition, I use Fleetguard filters for oil and fuel. I realize it is a tractor oil, but after 44,000 miles, it is incredible. http://www.hoober.com/product_details.asp?pn=B505693

The Weekenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #22
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Synthetics do have their place, in exteme situations. A few years ago, a well known trade magazine ran a test on a fleet of NY cabs. Half used synthetic, half on mineral. Engines were torn down at 75,000 and 150,000 miles and checked for wear. End result...no appreciable difference in wear between the two oils, so no difference other than cost.

Also, many years ago, I had a Toyota 4X4 with a turbo diesel in it. For reasons other than oil, I had to have some work done on it. Truck had 75,000 miles on it. Dealer mechanic called me up and asked when I had had the cam shaft bearings replaced. I told him they were the originals. He was shocked. He asked what oil was I using, I told him Delo 400 15-40. He said keep using it. There was virtually no wear on any part of the engine.

But, there are places for synthetics, such as transmissions, etc. But, I'm not using any myself.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 10:28 PM   #23
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
Amsoil has been in my truck for over 20,000 miles. I do oil sample and filter change every 5,000 miles results still coming back very good. A friend of mine ran his truck with the same Amsoil doing the same maintenace for 100,000 keep in mind that every filter change requires new oil be added, but so far so good. I plan on running this oil for another 20,000 if reports indicate there are no issues. I feel like many others here that using synthetic oil and changing it all the time is a waste of good money.
Don
Wheel to wheel SS side bars
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #24
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
I'll chime in here to say I use synthetic along with the faster Canadian cold weather startup flow... I use it to provide better protection for the turbo....

Dino oil begins to break down and coke at around 300 degrees F. Synthetic up and over 350 degrees.

Exhaust gas temps over 1300 degrees is where the oil flowing to the turbo shaft bearings cannot cool enough that coking will start to occur. This is why it's important to keep those temps below 1200 or 1300 degrees.

Shutting down a hot turbo is where the residual oil in the bearings will heat up to the shaft temp and begin to coke. This may cause premature turbo failure later on as the hard coked oil builds up and will plug up vital oil lines.

This is why I installed a pyrometer and faithfully idle the truck until the temps drop below 325 degrees...

I'll get off my soapbox now....
08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 05:11 AM   #25
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
What is a DIC and how or what does it tell you about the oil interval? I have an '06 Ford PSD. Would it have one? Could I do this, too?

I think oil problems occur with people who DON'T change their oil with the proper frequencies. I'm guessing most of us in this forum consist of owners who take good care of our vehicles.

If you use dino oil and change it at minimal intervals (for me, I used every 5,000 miles even though the book says 7,500) this interval probably means you are changing the oil before it starts to go bad. Switching to synthetic is supposed to increase the interval and only changing the oil at 10,000 is probably still too often since its only 2,500 miles higher than the book. Someone posted 20,000 miles which might be an even better interval as long as the Syn is still in good shape when it's replaced and THEN there's the gain in time spent on an oil change and the cost is less since the change ratio is 4 to 1. I would still change the oil filter every 5,000 miles, and on my truck it's very easy to do since it's right on top under a cap.

Still all that and I have not made the transition. I use the dino oil change interval to check out my truck and service filters and such.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
DIC its a GM thing. The computer keeps track of when you should change your oil. Its bast on not just mileage but a lot of factors. Gm does have a better mouse trap here.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:32 PM   #27
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
Oil preferences are like truck preferences everyone has there own opinion. Some of you who claim to use synthetic in your truck better check the make up of the particular synthetic. Castrol Syntec is not synthetic oil. The term synthetic is an overused term and the oil doesnt need to be fully synthetic to be called that. Harley Davidson claims there screaming eagle is a synthetic oil and it is in fact a superrefined dino oil. Royal Purple,Amsoil,and Mobil 1 have been doing synthetic longer than anyone. Alot of these claimed synthetic oils have only synthetic additives in a dino oil. Some are nothing more than a blend. For those that have been around Big trucks checkout the newer truck warrantys. Rear ends and trannys have synthetic in them. If you take it out it voids the warranty. Newer rear ends and trannys have anywhere from 750000 to 1,000,000 mile warrantys on them. Just my .02 worth. Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #28
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Al is wright dino can be labeled synthetic. Ford trucks come with synthetic in the rear end and never needs to be changed, according to Ford.
I have a medal cutting band saw it came with dino gear oil in it. The gears wore out in 5 years. I put synthetic gear oil in it 25 years ago, the gears still look like new. A bearing seal went out in it last year so I had it apart and was astonished at the shape of the gears.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #29
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
DIC = Driver Information Center Not sure about Ford. Tells me a lot more than oil change info. Some of the info I haven't liked....like when my 04 GMC tranny acted up...."shift range inhibited". That ended up being a contact block on the ignition switch. Cost several hundred too.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote